• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

How much Protein is....Too much?

hannamuscles

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Hey guys so i just have a quick question about protein intake.

So ever since i really got into lifting and dieting my family has been really pressuring me about the way i am eating vs. kidney disease. They say im going to kill myself by the time im 30 due to kidney failure.

There are alot of clashing articles when it comes to protein intake vs. kidney function and failure and from what ive taken from it, they mainly say eat meat protein in moderation and try to replace it with vegetable protein. Which is understandable.

Stats:
190Lbs
5'9

Now i am currently eating at
300G Protein
75-250G carbs depending on the day (carb cycling)
and 100G fat.

Now do you guys think my protein intake is too high, and what are your opinions on high protein intake vs. Health.

NB4 Dannie goes off =)

I am 215 and currently taking in 230 grams of protein. I think I am going to drop that to my weight.

I do think a lot of guys consume way too much protein. I am starting to think body weight should equal protein intake. For every pound you should consume a gram of protein.

NB4 Dannie goes off =)

I am 215 and currently taking in 230 grams of protein. I think I am going to drop that to my weight.

I do think a lot of guys consume way too much protein. I am starting to think body weight should equal protein intake. For every pound you should consume a gram of protein.
Now do you follow this procedure (Grams of protein=body weight) for all types of situations? Say youre cutting for a show and you need really low carbs but you have to fill a certain calorie count, would you compensate the cals with extra protein? Or do you keep your protein rather constant

1g/lb bw - 1.5g/lb bw

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I like 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. I gain better than I do with 1 gram....but bumping it up higher than this doesn't increase my gains....just my grocery bill

Hey guys so i just have a quick question about protein intake.

So ever since i really got into lifting and dieting my family has been really pressuring me about the way i am eating vs. kidney disease. They say im going to kill myself by the time im 30 due to kidney failure.

There are alot of clashing articles when it comes to protein intake vs. kidney function and failure and from what ive taken from it, they mainly say eat meat protein in moderation and try to replace it with vegetable protein. Which is understandable.

Stats:
190Lbs
5'9

Now i am currently eating at
300G Protein
75-250G carbs depending on the day (carb cycling)
and 100G fat.

Now do you guys think my protein intake is too high, and what are your opinions on high protein intake vs. Health.
For building muscle .6-.8 grams per LBM should be sufficient. Check your BUN levels to verify.
For health over indulging in anything isnt good but I doubt 1 gm/lb would kill you. Check your GFR to verify.
I never count grams of protein but make sure I eat the highest quality of food I can find. NO powders/supplements for me.

when your sweat starts to smell like piss, sign your body cant handle the amount anymore

For building muscle .6-.8 grams per LBM should be sufficient. Check your BUN levels to verify.
For health over indulging in anything isnt good but I doubt 1 gm/lb would kill you. Check your GFR to verify.
I never count grams of protein but make sure I eat the highest quality of food I can find. NO powders/supplements for me.
.8g/lbm for building? I thought it was per.lb bw?

300g at 190lbs? Totally unnecessary. Especially if it's mostly from real food. What's a typical day of eating look like on a moderate carb day?

At the moment im carb cycling (6 weeks out from my show), and i was advised by my coach to keep protein constant at 300, while i cycle carbs from 75-250 throughout the week

IML Gear Cream!
I'd probably listen to my coach rather than some gym rats online then. Especially if he's reputable.

At 300g I'd say it's a little high. when you do labs check your creatinine levels if they are elevated you gotta decrease your load. Not everyones kidneys can tolerate the same dose. As soon as I hit 210+ grams at 190 my levels start to spike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's largely agreed that the body can only absorb between 25-35 grams of protein per meal (siting source as Muscle Mag, Men's Health, and Scientific American) so with that in mind I try to take on 40 grams every four hours, splitting it between milk, vegetable, and meat sources.

For context I'm 6' and 205, water-athlete not body builder, and probably old enough to be your dad.

Last edited:
Yeah my main concern is just my kidneys. I dont want to fuck them up, but also i usually dont eat at this high of a protein count. So i figured if im just doing it for the time remaining for my competition i should be good, during the off season i lower it to a reasonable amount

It's largely agreed that the body can only absorb between 25-35 grams of protein per meal (siting source as Muscle Mag, Men's Health, and Scientific American) so with that in mind I try to take on 40 grams every four hours, splitting it between milk, vegetable, and meat sources.
This is incorrect.
The 25-30 grams in one sitting is a misunderstanding of how much protein is required to trigger hypertrophic protein synthesis, which is the repair of the damaged actin and myosin of the myofibral. Studies show that more protein than 30-35 grams does not improve synthesis which is where many have taken that to mean your body cannot absorb any more. Absorbtion is the incorrect term to use in the first place as that simply means that it enters and is digested and excreted. You could theoretically do several hundred grams although I doubt you stomach has that much acid and you would be farting continuously lol.

300g at 190lbs? Totally unnecessary. Especially if it's mostly from real food. What's a typical day of eating look like on a moderate carb day?

i disagree. it depends on if you are juiced and what you are taking, 1 am 176-180 i never drop my protein below 300. most days its 350
excwpt on a high carb refeed night. then i do about 200 grams of protein... gear needs protein to work best . most guys that just go to the gym dont eat enough.. thats why they are not very muscular looking

Look at jay cutlers diet for mr.o. he only ate around 230g protein a day but offset that with nearly 800g+carbs a day

Look at jay cutlers diet for mr.o. he only ate around 230g protein a day but offset that with nearly 800g+carbs a day

i really doubt that you ever saw his true diet... no way he would give that away.. thats a well guarded secret just like his stacks and doses.. what you read or saw was just some fluff for an article or video

Get Shredded!
i really doubt that you ever saw his true diet... no way he would give that away.. thats a well guarded secret just like his stacks and doses.. what you read or saw was just some fluff for an article or video
Hes stated that in many interviews over many years. What does he have to gain from lying after hes retired?

Hes stated that in many interviews over many years. What does he have to gain from lying after hes retired?

well if you lie then you stick to it for life .. he would look like an ass to change his story now .. anyway its just my take on it. neither of us will ever know for sure as we aren't him.. but 250 a day is nothing to take down,, the guy loved sushi right? tons of protein in just one bog ass sushi meal.
i had like 60 bucks worth of sushi and sashimi for dinner . just one meal out of 6 i prob at well over half his daily intake in one sitting

well if you lie then you stick to it for life .. he would look like an ass to change his story now .. anyway its just my take on it. neither of us will ever know for sure as we aren't him.. but 250 a day is nothing to take down,, the guy loved sushi right? tons of protein in just one bog ass sushi meal.
i had like 60 bucks worth of sushi and sashimi for dinner . just one meal out of 6 i prob at well over half his daily intake in one sitting
Im reading into it right now. Found a few threads and interviews with Dave tate, and also from ellington darden ph.d is that they found .36-.63g/lb of bw was ample ebough for building muscle. The science is that ypu only need enough protein as building for kuscle rather than your body using thosr grams as an energy source if you give it ample amouny of carbs

Im reading into it right now. Found a few threads and interviews with Dave tate, and also from ellington darden ph.d is that they found .36-.63g/lb of bw was ample ebough for building muscle. The science is that ypu only need enough protein as building for kuscle rather than your body using thosr grams as an energy source if you give it ample amouny of carbs

we l personally i have tries lower but feel that i lose size pretty quick.. i do like a 40/40/20 split
most days.. just to maintain 176 lean lbs i need a lil over 3k cals a day.. if i did too high carb it bloats me and gives me gas,
yeah i prob am using some of it for glycogen once its converted but i dont get the side effects as if i ate higher carbs and lowered the protein

ill read it later .. i gotta get some sleep.. thanks for the link.. no doubt lower protein is healthier on the body..
Ya same im really stoked to read over studies

Heres an excerpt from one of the 300 on the list
702ab6752e67ed6434f6d659840fdf8a.jpg

Back