• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Is increased body heat and/or perspiration really required for fat loss????

Tall Deck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I seen a guy in his 60's out jogging on the track that I was on yesterday. It was a pretty hot day, and the guy is wearing shorts along with a heavy hoody type sweatshirt all zipped up tight, and with the hood pulled and drawn tightly over his head, (lest any body heat would be allowed to escape). The guy looked like he was gonna faint from heat exhaustion or have a stroke.

Not meaning to be a wiseguy here, but if I may, I'd just like to pose the same question here about sweating and fat burning that I felt like asking that guy yesterday who ran by me with that heavy sweatshirt on during a low 90 degree humid afternoon.....

If it's heat and/or sweat that are evidence of, or that cause fat loss, then how do people who swim laps in an olympic sized swimming pool, (such as Olympic swimmers for instance) ever lose fat from routine swimming? Since their body is in the water and remains cool, and also doesn't have any need to perspire, then it clearly isn't the sweating nor increased body heat which is burning up the carbs/calories, nor the fat istelf, right? And if it were the warmer body temp and the perspiration, then wouldn't that mean that people who exercise outdoors in Canada in the winter time would always have a tougher time getting lean than people in southern Florida?

The image of this guy all wrapped up in a tight heavy winter jacket while running is just fresh in my mind, and I couldn't help shaking my head when I saw him. What made it even more humorous is the fact that he had his skinny legs exposed with shorts well above the knees, but because he had a huge round mid section, he actually must have thought that covering all that up tightly with heavy clothing was going to increase body fat loss specifically in that area. Am I missing something concerning fat loss? If so, please explain.

I really have no clue but I would think that it would just help you cut water weight and that is just temporary until you drink some more water.

I really have no clue but I would think that it would just help you cut water weight and that is just temporary until you drink some more water.
Yeah I hear ya. Obviously getting cut takes some hard cardio work, (as well as diet being on point too) but I just think that it's more about getting your pulse rate up and keeping it there for at least 20 minutes or more, (unless you're doing HIIT training) than it is about specifically sweating profusely, (which some people seem to focus more on) which burns the fat.

Obviously if you're puting in the hard cardio work, and the air temps are 80 or 90 degrees, you're going to sweat very heavy. But doing things like wrapping yourself up in winter clothing in the summer time, or wearing plastic to hold your body heat in, thinking that doing so will increase the rate of fat loss just seem to be nonsense to me.

I think that is some of the dumbest shit I ever seen.

Got some dumbass hood rats at my gym that do that.

Never put that kind of stress on your body if you can avoid it.

I agree. I thought the guy was gonna drop to the pavement. Very ignorant

I think body heat and sweating can add some additional fat loss thru a thermogenic process but definitely not required.

So fucking right bro...your natural cooling system (perspiration) is throwing off the heat to maintain homeostasis. By wrapping yourself up in plastic or hoodies you thwart the bodies attempt to do so.

Saw this guy once in the sauna with his son. They were inside both wearing those plastic suits to trap heat. At some point they were exiting the gym and the dad just collapsed on the ground by the front door. I don't think he will be doing that again.

I think body heat and sweating can add some additional fat loss thru a thermogenic process but definitely not required.
No, way. Heat is a byproduct of burning calories. In fact, a calorie is a measurement of heat (true). One calorie is the heat energy required to raise one gram of water one degree celsius.

By wearing a sweatshirt, you are not burning more calories. You are insulating the body, which does not allow heat to escape. This means that the higher body temperature is the result of trapped heat, not extra calories burned.

The extra sweat is just dehydration.

Training cold and hydrated is the best way. In fact, if you lower the temperature around you enough, and do not wear proper clothing, your body will actually burn extra calories as you sit on your ass. Your body will do this in an attempt to raise your body temperature.

Extra trapped heat and sweat dehydration have an additional negative effect - they reduce performance, which also means you burn less calories.

Dress with clothing that allows heat to escape. Tank top and shorts. Or run naked.

No, way. Heat is a byproduct of burning calories. In fact, a calorie is a measurement of heat (true). One calorie is the heat energy required to raise one gram of water one degree celsius.
In the interest of being more accurate in context (all of the above is accurate out of context), when we are discussing "calories" in terms of nutrition, we are actually using a shorthand term for kilocalories (kilo meaning 1000). There are 1000 grams in a liter, so a kilocalorie is the amount of heat necessary to raise the temperature of one liter of water one degree.

It would be confusing to say I consume three thousand kilocalories, which means three thousand thousand calories, so we just use shorthand and say 3000 calories. Everybody understands what we mean, and the original meaning was lost to most people.

IML Gear Cream!
I seen a guy in his 60's out jogging on the track that I was on yesterday. It was a pretty hot day, and the guy is wearing shorts along with a heavy hoody type sweatshirt all zipped up tight, and with the hood pulled and drawn tightly over his head, (lest any body heat would be allowed to escape). The guy looked like he was gonna faint from heat exhaustion or have a stroke.
Maybe he was dropping bodyweight (water weight) for his MMA fight tomorrow.

Sometimes I just like to sweat, sauna etc.. But perspiration =/= fat loss.

Either he is trying to sweat out toxins or losing that last bit of water for his mma debut.

i dono. i was a wrestler growing up so it was always to strip water right before weigh ins. but i cant necessarily say it wouldnt help with fat or calories being burnt. if you think about it if you were sweating a bunch your body is trying to cool itself. i may be wrong but id imagine atleast a slight increase of calories burnt because the body would have to work harder to keep yourself cool but i wouldnt imagine itd be more than a slight uptick in expenditure.

i dono. i was a wrestler growing up so it was always to strip water right before weigh ins. but i cant necessarily say it wouldnt help with fat or calories being burnt. if you think about it if you were sweating a bunch your body is trying to cool itself. i may be wrong but id imagine atleast a slight increase of calories burnt because the body would have to work harder to keep yourself cool but i wouldnt imagine itd be more than a slight uptick in expenditure.
The real effect is that you do not work out as hard and burn as many calories as you would if you stayed cooler and hydrated. Your intensity is not the same.

It's purely psychology. Your perceived effort is higher. Yes, it is circumstantial, but I am not so sure that word means what you think it means.

ya obviously if you run an endurance race with plastics on ots gonna effect you and the rate you exhaust. i doubt people are running marathons with plastics on. ill use running for an example. if i ran 2 or 3 miles at a moderate pace with plastics and a hoodie on yes youd burn more calories. 100% without a doubt. your assuming everyone whod wears plastics or layers of sweats is running a marathon which isnt the case. like i said it is purely circumstantial.

Sometimes I just like to sweat, sauna etc.. But perspiration =/= fat loss.

Either he is trying to sweat out toxins or losing that last bit of water for his mma debut.

The only time I want to sit in a sauna is after I eat a pickle or something with a ton of sodium in it. If I go off the reservation with salt I immediately gain 6 lbs. annoying AF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back