• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How many of you have friends who have given up lifting as they got older?

Gymrat79

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm sure some of you have experienced this. Flash back to your early 20s when your friends were single and lived for going out on the weekend to chase chicks. They hit the gym hard! Now you can't get them to go to the gym more than once in a while.

I work out alone.. it's my me time.

If someone asks if they can hit the gym with me i tell them to fuk off and find their own gains..

... but seriously I know what you mean.. for me it's usually older friends who are trying to "get back into it"... they always ask if I'm on gear and I tell them no.. then they proceed to "school" me on the newest supplements out and how a guy they know just got."ripped as fuk" on Winny tabs..

All I ever hear is, "are you still doing that gym stuff?."

I'm 51 now and STILL have people asking me "don't you think your arms are to big?". Yeah, I'm with Tone, FUK OFF STICK BOY!

My son-in-law has been killing it in the gym for a long time.....a good 6-7 years if not more.

Now that a baby is on the way he spends a lot of time doing other things around the house and with his wife. He has lost a lot just over the last few months

The gym is a great thing especially for me otherwise I would go crazy after work, but, people have there priorities and gym is not a religion.

Yeah like 90% of the jocks from high school. They looked like proud mesomorphs back then, now they're all bloated faced messes in their facebook photos. Like damn, they really let themselves go!

I have gotten 2 close friends into the gym and little bro. 1 friend had terrible genetics, juiced became a monster , now is a doctor and lifting rarely. Lil bro has been lifting 9 years consecutive and looks damn good very proportional​ and has his first comp coming up. My other friend is going 5 years strong but goes from 9% bf to 20+ throughout the year lol. But yes for the majority of the people I know it was just a phase for them.

Always lifted alone,or with my wife. When we had our first kid 23 years ago, we would have her in the baby seat, down in the basement gym with us while we trained.
We still train together now, and never stopped. I'm 51 in a few days,and have been doping straight since age 12. (39 years now).
You run into old friends over the years who used to be into it with me in high school, who have given it up after high school (33 years ago). And of course you hear "still lifting weights I see"?

Why give up something you love doing? Many do it for the wrong reasons (to get girls, to look tough in HS, etc). Those reasons are OK, but its a life-long love affair for me.

Everyone I know stopped once life really started but slowly and even what I notice in the gym, the middle age guys are all creeping theyre way back in.

IML Gear Cream!
Always lifted alone,or with my wife. When we had our first kid 23 years ago, we would have her in the baby seat, down in the basement gym with us while we trained.
We still train together now, and never stopped. I'm 51 in a few days,and have been doping straight since age 12. (39 years now).
You run into old friends over the years who used to be into it with me in high school, who have given it up after high school (33 years ago). And of course you hear "still lifting weights I see"?

Why give up something you love doing? Many do it for the wrong reasons (to get girls, to look tough in HS, etc). Those reasons are OK, but its a life-long love affair for me.

Exactly, if I go to the gym with anyone nowadays it's my wife, I only ever had two friends that lifted and we all stopped in our early 20's but I was the only one that got back into it at 27

I think that's why it's a fad for most because they're doing it for reasons like the ones you stated

I started when I was 16 or 17 years old.

I stopped for 5 years when my son was born...new business and it was just too much at the moment. I got out of shape and fat.

When I went back at 40, I was weak and felt like shit. Recovery was poor. That's when I started using gear. It was a small amount meant to get me back in shape. The rest is history for me...

Have tons of friends who stopped and never went back. You just don't see too many guys that are older lifting heavy weights and looking good.

I started when I was 16 or 17 years old.

........I got out of shape and fat......

......When I went back at 40, I was weak and felt like shit. Recovery was poor. That's when I started using gear. It was a small amount meant to get me back in shape. The rest is history for me...

Have tons of friends who stopped and never went back. You just don't see too many guys that are older lifting heavy weights and looking good.
That right there^ is pretty much my story too, but add to that injuries from sports and from from the work place too. I actually hate working out, and always have in a certain way, but it's like physical therapy for me, and I feel so much better physically when I am in a routine of BBing because it keeps the chronic pain from my old injuries away. I'm 56 yrs old now. But I cannot do certain things such as dead lifts, due to a herniated L-5 disc. Performing barbell squats correctly actually helps my condition though, as do back hyper extensions.

That right there^ is pretty much my story too, but add to that injuries from sports and from from the work place too. I actually hate working out, and always have in a certain way, but it's like physical therapy for me, and I feel so much better physically when I am in a routine of BBing because it keeps the chronic pain from my old injuries away. I'm 56 yrs old now. But I cannot do certain things such as dead lifts, due to a herniated L-5 disc. Performing barbell squats correctly actually helps my condition though, as do back hyper extensions.

Good for you bro. I think for me at my age, doing heavy squats and deadlifts aren't in wheelhouse anymore. I do legs once a week to keep them strong and in shape but that is about all. Never liked doing legs anyway. lol. I can still bench 385 free weight. And handle good weight all around.

IMO I am in better shape then the average 30 something. Can't change the hair turning grey. And I do what I can for my skin to stay younger looking.

Never had friends who would lift past their cycles.. then when on their cycle they were pussified workouts, so I don't bother and lift solo. Unless my gf wants to go but even she slows me down and honestly I don't like it that much.

It's my selfish time and I just really enjoy lifting weights.

Good for you bro. I think for me at my age, doing heavy squats and deadlifts aren't in wheelhouse anymore. I do legs once a week to keep them strong and in shape but that is about all. Never liked doing legs anyway. lol. I can still bench 385 free weight. And handle good weight all around.IMO I am in better shape then the average 30 something. Can't change the hair turning grey. And I do what I can for my skin to stay younger looking.
I don't go super heavy with the barbell squats, but I DO work very hard with them. I do one killer set of 20 rep squats. I also cycle my intensity. When I'm on a maximum instensity level, I'll use as much weight as I can handle for about 12 reps without stopping, and then I'll perform 8 more reps with as much of a pause between each rep as i need. It really gets the heart pounding too! I know the 20 rep squat thing is nothing new at all, but it was to me 15 years ago when I began doing them after being inspired by the paperback book "Super Squats".
Never had friends who would lift past their cycles.. then when on their cycle they were pussified workouts, so I don't bother and lift solo. Unless my gf wants to go but even she slows me down and honestly I don't like it that much. It's my selfish time and I just really enjoy lifting weights.
I hear ya. I work out alone too, and I got my wife to join me twice after really twisting her arm, and she just slowed me down as well. Her heart really wasn't in it anyway. I had one decent work out partner once for about 9 months. That was very helpful and made my workouts better, but good and dependable as well as compatible training partners are tough to find

Back