• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Dad advice: playing with your three year old

Jbatts

Banned
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
For guys who actually have kids, how do you put in quality time with your three year old on weekends?

I have an awesome three year old, but he's three: he can walk and talk, but we aren't playing ball or hiking or that sort of stuff yet.

His favorite question: "Do you want to play with me?"

And that usually means sitting on the floor holding a little action figure and making them talk to each other. This gets old fast.

Any ideas? I know I can just suck it up and talk with toys, but what do you do that doesn't require sitting on a floor stuck inside?

Again, this question is for fathers.

You have it easy with a boy try having tea parties and painted finger nails . What hobbies do you have ? Take the kid fishing or buy him a dirt bike and yes he is old enough my daughter loved it at her age .

work on your car with him . C hange the oil , wash it , it doesnt really matter what you do , he just needs you there with him , you are his Super Hero

My niece and nephew both 3 love to go find catapilers, or snakes or frogs. So walking outside tipping over rocks, looking around bushes.

Walkie talkies to play hide and seek.

swings

- - - Updated - - -

Oh a hose or sprinkler works too just running threw it

Get the little man a puppy

Thanks; most of these are things I already do. Except a dirt bike; I don't know a three year old I would put on a dirt bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm looking for productive things we can do together as my entire weekend is basically dedicated to him and I don't want to do the shit thing where he plays by himself.

work on your car with him . C hange the oil , wash it , it doesnt really matter what you do , he just needs you there with him , you are his Super Hero
Yes this ... it doesn't matter what you do , they just want to be with u , ... Most kids just want to be with dad and do things boring mom doesn't do with them ... More my son anyways ... Dad is superman in there eyes

IML Gear Cream!
My daughter at that age wanted to play all the time. Barbies, coloring, board games, you name it.

We would watch some cartoons together, go to the playground, etc..

Best thing I found was play dates at that age helped alot. Especially if you are a single parent like I was, the child will require all of your attention. And as amazing as that is, its tiring.

We would go to the mall playgrounds, parks, and even the library. Blend in as much "free" activity as you can with "paid" activities would be my suggestion.

But honestly just sitting on the floor and playing toys with her was her favorite. Mines 9 now and she still loves my time as such. We do hangman, youtube videos, movies, you name it.

Glad to see you are putting in the effort :)

take them to the beach, bucket and shovel and they will entertain themselves for hours

Zoo. Find trails. Find trees. Museums. Wrestle. Bike with training wheels. Teach them to swim. Hide and seek. Sidewalk chalk. Parks. Swings.

3 is awesome and I fucked it up with with my first 2 and hate having to work so much I miss out on s lot with my 4 year old but I make a point to take off work early and sundays are cleared for the time I get to see her.

I have a 2 year old but shes really smart so we just do learning games and tablet stuff..

Buying her a amazon tablet was the best idea ever. Not because we dont like giving her attention, but her intelligence has skyrocketed since we got it. Fun to play it with her

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I take my kids to the park all the time. We have a blast at the playground. We do play dates with the kids at school as well.

For guys who actually have kids, how do you put in quality time with your three year old on weekends?

I have an awesome three year old, but he's three: he can walk and talk, but we aren't playing ball or hiking or that sort of stuff yet.

His favorite question: "Do you want to play with me?"

And that usually means sitting on the floor holding a little action figure and making them talk to each other. This gets old fast.

Any ideas? I know I can just suck it up and talk with toys, but what do you do that doesn't require sitting on a floor stuck inside?

Again, this question is for fathers.

I have a 9yr old and a 2yr old, best thing I can do with them is get them outside. We go to parks, water parks, dog parks, anything to run the energy out of them. They're up at 7am and don't stop till 11pm. My wife and I are both high strung and they have the genes, lol
We have a zoo about 30min from us that we frequent also and a couple museums with hands on kids stuff, they love em'.
But I'm with ya, hard to sit down and play with matchbox cars or a PS4...

I have a 2 year old but shes really smart so we just do learning games and tablet stuff..

Buying her a amazon tablet was the best idea ever. Not because we dont like giving her attention, but her intelligence has skyrocketed since we got it. Fun to play it with her

We did iPads with both my boys and I agree, my 9yr old reads at a 9th grade level, and my 2yr old adds and subtracts and reads. Incredible head start they've been given. But be careful and limit their use of them, you can lose a kid to those electronics, to the point that's all they want to do.

We did iPads with both my boys and I agree, my 9yr old reads at a 9th grade level, and my 2yr old adds and subtracts and reads. Incredible head start they've been given. But be careful and limit their use of them, you can lose a kid to those electronics, to the point that's all they want to do.

Yeah so weve seen haha. Its never aloud with a meal, and usually only when me and mama got shit to do.

Amazing though how much they can learn.. Kid is 2 yrs and 3 months and knows her alphabet and 1-20. Cant add or subtract yet thats crazy

I miss those days of lying on the ground and playing trains or army men with my sons. One of them even got into pet shop characters because my niece gave him everything she had. We would do cats vs dogs battles.
Those were such good days. No electronics, no backtalk, and being best friends!
Then comes the teen years....so many hard times. damn kids know everything at those ages and think you're an idiot.

Take him to a petting zoo, aquarium, or local kids museum. Out to eat is great especially a chucky cheese. Going to a boardwalk where u can win him prize's and let him play easy games is a blast. Maby some board games like "shoots and ladders" or " candyland". Also if you want to get cardio in buy a used bike with a little closed-in-wagon that attaches or a seat behind you and go for a bike ride in a park, that'll kill alot if time. Good luck man at 3 they learn very quickly and it's a fun age to hang with them alot. Take care!

Get Shredded!
I would drink beer with mine. After a 1/4 beer he was passed out and i could go to the strip club.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would drink beer with mine. After a 1/4 beer he was passed out and i could go to the strip club.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha!

I used to put mine in the stroller and go MILF hunting.

Little guy used to reel them in!

<insert giant winkfinger here>

iPad was the worst pussy thing I ever did as a dad. I'm taking it away starting tomorrow.
It's a baby sitter and he spends a third his life on YouTube kids.

Taught my son and nephew to explore and climb trees and rocks
Then taught them how to throw ball or kick it
Tried to make them busy and interested

My wife and I always make sure our kid goes outside atleast once a day or we all do something as a family once a day.

Growing up we were beaten a lot and had no family time so we make it super important to do those things with ours

Bro, buy him trucks, tractors and cars that are fun to play with. Also take him for yogurt or to ride go carts. Chances are he will enjoy the same things you do. My kid loves my truck so he just enjoys running errands with me.

iPad was the worst pussy thing I ever did as a dad. I'm taking it away starting tomorrow.
It's a baby sitter and he spends a third his life on YouTube kids.

Yep limit screen time and TV. Books, music and sport is where it's at.

<insert giant winkfinger here>

This weekend we played barbies, mowed the lawn, shot these weird helicopter things and chased them, looked for bugs, colored, went to the store 3or 4 times, made dinner twice (BBQ), made our own handshake, painted ceramic stuff for mom, painted nails and toe nails, went to the park twice, jumped on trampoline. I know I'm missing things but you get the point. Weekends are all about my lil girl and daddy time.

Just be there that's all they want.

Honestly, laying on the ground and talking with action figures is the way to go. He will forever treasure those memories.

Try and make it interesting and bring out your inner kid creativity. You once enjoyed that shit lol. I literally have done this for hours.

Also play doh, a puppy, legos, Lincoln logs etc., which are all good for his development as well. Can all be entertaining for both of you. Or me at least, legos are awesome.

Or do something outside like the park, zoo, cool museums.

My wife and I always make sure our kid goes outside atleast once a day or we all do something as a family once a day.

Growing up we were beaten a lot and had no family time so we make it super important to do those things with ours

Yep, that's my wife and I abusive home lives when we were kids. Makes me appreciate being able to show love and compassion to my boys instead of beating on them the way I was.

Back