PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime fitness feel not like a real gym to you?

Gymrat79
05-29-2017, 10:52 AM
They run this place like a health club instead of a real gym. Catering to families and little kids. I feel like the people that go here for the most part are not into bodybuilding or powerlifting. Am I wrong or right?

The pool really makes you realize this during the summer.

afg88
06-02-2017, 05:03 AM
and is pricy as fuck at least here in canada about 150$ a month

TouaregV8
06-02-2017, 05:32 AM
Unfortunately its the world we live in today. These mega "one size fits all" fitness centers have all but killed the small mom and pop "hardcore" type bodybuilder gyms of the past. I'd love nothing more than to open my own gym and cater specifically to the powerlifter and bodybuilder guys, but there just aren't enough of us out there to pay the rent, especially when there's a mega fitness center right around the corner.

Gymrat79
06-02-2017, 06:33 AM
Unfortunately its the world we live in today. These mega "one size fits all" fitness centers have all but killed the small mom and pop "hardcore" type bodybuilder gyms of the past. I'd love nothing more than to open my own gym and cater specifically to the powerlifter and bodybuilder guys, but there just aren't enough of us out there to pay the rent, especially when there's a mega fitness center right around the corner.

There's a great hardcore gym within 20 miles of my house. I'm not the best lifter in the world but I feel that if I was to go there It would bring me to the next level. Since I would be surrounded by guys and women who are the real deal. Its called USA gym and the guy that owns it is Chuck Sanow.

http://usagyminc.com/

What do you think? Should I start going there for a change of scenery and atmosphere?

TouaregV8
06-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Atmosphere definitely makes a difference, but more importantly it's the variety of the equipment that means the most to me. The fitness center that I currently train at has it's pros and cons. The equipment is ok. It would be significantly better if they had a better variety of leg equipment, such as a plate loaded hack squat, a different style leg press, a vertical leg press, etc. The dumbbells could be heavier also. They go up to 125lbs at my gym, would be better if they went up to 150lbs, but 98% of the customers already don't use the 125lbs dumbbells so the gym will never invest in 150lbs just for me. I do like the eye candy of the attractive women that train at my gym, chances are they would never train at a hardcore bodybuilder type gym so the only thing there to look at would be the gorillas. If you are looking to change gyms for motivational reasons, I think that's a personal preference. To me, motivation comes from within. I don't need to be training around a bunch of freaks to inspire me. I'm one of the three biggest guys at my gym right now. One of the other guys is 6'4' tall and weighs about 320lbs and will be competing for his pro card this fall, and the other is about my size and he'll be doing his first show in August. Even though I personally don't need to be surrounded by freaks to find motivation, I understand that other guys do. If I had the option of a well equipped, hardcore gym like one you are considering, and it was within a 15-20 minute drive from my house, then there would be no question, I'd absolutely train there. My problem is that I don't have one of those gyms nearby.

Gymrat79
06-02-2017, 08:01 AM
Atmosphere definitely makes a difference, but more importantly it's the variety of the equipment that means the most to me. The fitness center that I currently train at has it's pros and cons. The equipment is ok. It would be significantly better if they had a better variety of leg equipment, such as a plate loaded hack squat, a different style leg press, a vertical leg press, etc. The dumbbells could be heavier also. They go up to 125lbs at my gym, would be better if they went up to 150lbs, but 98% of the customers already don't use the 125lbs dumbbells so the gym will never invest in 150lbs just for me. I do like the eye candy of the attractive women that train at my gym, chances are they would never train at a hardcore bodybuilder type gym so the only thing there to look at would be the gorillas. If you are looking to change gyms for motivational reasons, I think that's a personal preference. To me, motivation comes from within. I don't need to be training around a bunch of freaks to inspire me. I'm one of the three biggest guys at my gym right now. One of the other guys is 6'4' tall and weighs about 320lbs and will be competing for his pro card this fall, and the other is about my size and he'll be doing his first show in August. Even though I personally don't need to be surrounded by freaks to find motivation, I understand that other guys do. If I had the option of a well equipped, hardcore gym like one you are considering, and it was within a 15-20 minute drive from my house, then there would be no question, I'd absolutely train there. My problem is that I don't have one of those gyms nearby.

First off let me say thank you for taking the time to give great replies to my questions on here. It really is appreciated and helps me out.

I think I'm going to go to this place and check it out soon. Actually there are some good looking women that work out there..........

Skinnyguy180
06-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Lifetime fitness is clearly geared toward families... Honestly that should have been obvious from day one. Its a great place to take your fam on the weekend to let the kidos swim while you and the wife go lift then all eat lunch together and hang out by the pool.

Tons of classes for females. Nice pool deck.

If it was closer to me I'd sign my fam up.

Gymrat79
06-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Lifetime fitness is clearly geared toward families... Honestly that should have been obvious from day one. Its a great place to take your fam on the weekend to let the kidos swim while you and the wife go lift then all eat lunch together and hang out by the pool.

Tons of classes for females. Nice pool deck.

If it was closer to me I'd sign my fam up.

Exactly right. Its a health club, not a gym. Bunch of casual workout yuppies go there to socialize with other parents and sit everyone down after swimming and their workout to have a meal. I think more of them are members to use the facilities such as the sauna and pool than they are about busting weights.

Not very hardcore if you think about it. Almost like a luxury Planet Fitness.

Skinnyguy180
06-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Exactly right. Its a health club, not a gym. Bunch of casual workout yuppies go there to socialize with other parents and sit everyone down after swimming and their workout to have a meal. I think more of them are members to use the facilities such as the sauna and pool than they are about busting weights.

Not very hardcore if you think about it. Almost like a luxury Planet Fitness.

For me I honestly think "hardcore" has to do with approach and not necessarily the environment.

I mean you throw Phil heath in any gym and he is going to go to hard as long as they have the weight.. and lifetime does have the equipment. Its all preference though. I dont talk to other people much so its not a big deal to me to have other guys going hard. But Im also a family guy with not BB or PL aspirations.. Different strokes for different folks.

Intense
06-02-2017, 09:06 AM
I don't care what the gym is. No Hammer Strength no care...

https://media.tenor.com/images/b8726ae5b2813d33df6c7d10ed79ade3/tenor.gif

Gymrat79
06-02-2017, 10:18 AM
I guarantee you the place would be better if they got rid of the pool and the basketball courts. So sick of little kids taking the place over with no respect for anyone.

Skip Foursome
06-02-2017, 10:30 AM
But, you have to understand this is where the money is at, otherwise they would not run a gym or health fitness center like this.

I am no industry insider, but I wonder how big Planet Fitness is now and if 24 Hour or LA Fitness wish they had a business model like these latest facility operators.

Gymrat79
06-02-2017, 10:53 AM
But, you have to understand this is where the money is at, otherwise they would not run a gym or health fitness center like this.

I am no industry insider, but I wonder how big Planet Fitness is now and if 24 Hour or LA Fitness wish they had a business model like these latest facility operators.

Skip,

I understand and the facility is nice and clean, with a great locker room. Take this for what it is and hear me out. I feel that if you go to a place that is meant for bettering yourself and working out, you do not invest in a membership to sit around a fuckin cafe and have social hour. Going for a leisurely walk on the treadmill or a swim and then hitting the sauna is not investing your time to better yourself. Basically that is the type of stuff John Belushi did when he was hungover from cocaine and alcohol. What the fuck is that? You are supposed to bust your ass and work up a great sweat and then maybe hit the sauna after.

I see so many people who are members who you know are not working hard enough or give a shit to get in better shape. They buy a membership cause they have so much disposable income to just use it as a place to go when they feel hungover for example from a Friday night or the weekend. Or in the summer , use the pool and lay around and sleep in the sun. I think its wrong but hey thats just my opinion.

Skip Foursome
06-02-2017, 11:27 AM
Skip,

I understand and the facility is nice and clean, with a great locker room. Take this for what it is and hear me out. I feel that if you go to a place that is meant for bettering yourself and working out, you do not invest in a membership to sit around a fuckin cafe and have social hour. Going for a leisurely walk on the treadmill or a swim and then hitting the sauna is not investing your time to better yourself. Basically that is the type of stuff John Belushi did when he was hungover from cocaine and alcohol. What the fuck is that? You are supposed to bust your ass and work up a great sweat and then maybe hit the sauna after.

I see so many people who are members who you know are not working hard enough or give a shit to get in better shape. They buy a membership cause they have so much disposable income to just use it as a place to go when they feel hungover for example from a Friday night or the weekend. Or in the summer , use the pool and lay around and sleep in the sun. I think its wrong but hey thats just my opinion.
I like the John Belushi reference :)