• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Home Gym Sourcing

JRotten

Old
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
No not selling gear at your gym...

My son is officially old enough to lift, another behind him a year, my wife as those who know me know is a fitness crazed lifter that teaches bodypump before her full time job, on lunch breaks, weekends... and since starting my business, getting remarried, and moving I just have trouble getting to the gym and I hate the ones close by...

So we have a nonfunctional room, but it's got 10 foot ceilings, it's on it's own 6" slab, 20'x12'. So we are thinking it's time to do a home gym. Doesn't have to have everything, but rubber mats, commercial quality bench, power rack, incline, decline free standing, decent dumbells, 2 bars and at least 500# in plates. Dream equipment would be dip/pull-up station and a cable machine.

So where can I source these things? There has to be a ton of experience on this board with this. Used equipment would be plenty acceptable in good shape if there may be liquidator or someone knows how to find that.

My whole family is up my ass to make this happen so help me out.

Well for mats I would look for used warehouse or kitchen mats. If you double up the kitchen mats they should give you enough protection for your slab. Spend money on thicker mats for your combo squat and dead lift rack area. Also you would be surprised what you can find on the used gym equipment list. My brother has outfitted a nice home gym with equipment that the wanna be rich/midlife crisis people buy. They give up and sell it cheap to get it out of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 26837I bought this home smith machine for 100$ at a resale store.I got the dumbells from an old man who lifted for years and got arthitis so bad he had to quit.I have a barn about the same size as your room and I have been gathering equipment for about 30 years.I bought a few bars and weights new but most of it I would get at garage sales and second hand stores.Every now and then I would see something I thought I could use.At most garage sales the stuff has been gathering dust at someones house and they will practically give it away.For mats I actually use horse stall mats.They come in 4 x 6 ft. sizes 3/4 in thick and are cheaper than fitness store prices.Farm supply stores carry them.Good luck

Attachments

• 20160407_202037.jpg
    20160407_202037.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 20160407_201853.jpg
    20160407_201853.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
craigslist

I was looking for a big tire for flipping a few years ago.This lady I work with spends all day on craiglist so I had her on the lookout for one.She found one not far from work.A woman had it listed (here is the funny part) it said it was free if you can come get it before her husband gets home from work.

I used horse-stall mats from Tractor Supply Co. Also, you can get a pretty cheap-but-decent power rack from www.thebenchpress.com - it's the "best fitness" one... under $400 with free shipping. I've had it for years and it hasn't failed me yet. Check Craigslist and the FaceBook marketplace for weights, a bar and bench and stuff too

I was looking for a big tire for flipping a few years ago.This lady I work with spends all day on craiglist so I had her on the lookout for one.She found one not far from work.A woman had it listed (here is the funny part) it said it was free if you can come get it before her husband gets home from work.
So you left an honest, working man without a tire to flip to blow off some steam after bad day at work or wife's nagging?

Last edited:
So you left a honest, working man without a tire to flip?

Haha no I couldn't do it to him.I eventually found a place that sold giant tires.They had old tires laying everywhere.I walked up and this guy who was obviously not a lifter came out and I was trying to figure out how to explain what I wanted and he says "I bet you want a tire for flipping" turns out he had outfitted every high school in the are with flipping tires.No charge he said he saves 75$ disposal fee everytime he gives one away.

I have a Rogue Monster Lite 3 rack...many more options of them now than when I purchased:
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rigs-racks/power-racks/monster-lite-racks

I bought one of their bumper sets as well so I wouldn't destroy my floor in the garage, but also have 300# of steel weights as well.
I have their parallel grip pull up attachment, their dip attachment as well as a landmine attachment. Their Ohio bar is good, not the best, but it's held up.

Their stuff isn't cheap but it is very well built and holds up. I'm on 5 years w/ it now and it's served me well.

IML Gear Cream!
No not selling gear at your gym...

My son is officially old enough to lift, another behind him a year, my wife as those who know me know is a fitness crazed lifter that teaches bodypump before her full time job, on lunch breaks, weekends... and since starting my business, getting remarried, and moving I just have trouble getting to the gym and I hate the ones close by...

So we have a nonfunctional room, but it's got 10 foot ceilings, it's on it's own 6" slab, 20'x12'. So we are thinking it's time to do a home gym. Doesn't have to have everything, but rubber mats, commercial quality bench, power rack, incline, decline free standing, decent dumbells, 2 bars and at least 500# in plates. Dream equipment would be dip/pull-up station and a cable machine.

So where can I source these things? There has to be a ton of experience on this board with this. Used equipment would be plenty acceptable in good shape if there may be liquidator or someone knows how to find that.

My whole family is up my ass to make this happen so help me out.

I thought you were a high roller?? Just spend some of that sweet moulah and get yourself a top notch system!! There is no cost too much for the wife and kids!!

Ive found CL to be the best, local, lots of things for sale, no shipping costs, etc...

Someone talk me out of this...

dy39cz.png

Someone talk me out of this...

dy39cz.png

Johnny,

Now we're talking!

What's the cost? Does the company setup for you? How much weight comes with the purchase?

I have a lat pull /low row as well as a decline to incline adjustable bench from Legend . They are bad ass . I have a wall mount from Rogue that I like but wish I shad bought a full power rack .I sprung for a Texas power bar . I have a rogue bar and a Yoke from elite fts that I reall like . Inzer easy curl. That I bought all new . I have about 400 lbs of bumpers off Craig's . I ran across a a guy with cybex 45 calf , legress , hack and weights . 30 45's . I stole for a 1000. I picked up a seated calf . I also caught a gym closing and got an extension , leg curl as well as a preacher bench and cybex treadmill . They needed some cleaning but are as good as any gym I've been in. You will not go wrong with legend but there is a lead time probably 6 weeks . Also Rogue sells 3/4 rubber mats . I have about 500 sq Ft and if I remember correctly it was gonna cost about 1500 to do it . I want to do that next . I need to paint my plates and clean up the hack and leg press . Don't regret any of it and use some part of it daily .

Johnny,

Now we're talking!

What's the cost? Does the company setup for you? How much weight comes with the purchase?

500# is the first offer, includes 1" rubber floor lots of stuff. I'll come back here as we get the rest of the quote fleshed out.

Currently we're about $7500 but there is more than I can list while working. Once I got comfortable with the rep from Legend and saw he was listening I shot him the rest of the must-haves and wishlist to see what he could do. Since it's the house and not the garage if we can go all matching and get the stuff we want we'll see where we can get it to.

It helps a lot that the CPA gave us the green light to deduct the price tag since my wife is a 1099 fitness instructor. This room is an add on and has always been a PITA to figure out what to do with. Gutting it and building the gym we want and tax deducting it is such a relief just to make good use of the space I'm happy to spend the money on quality equipment I like.

500# is the first offer, includes 1" rubber floor lots of stuff. I'll come back here as we get the rest of the quote fleshed out.

Currently we're about $7500 but there is more than I can list while working. Once I got comfortable with the rep from Legend and saw he was listening I shot him the rest of the must-haves and wishlist to see what he could do. Since it's the house and not the garage if we can go all matching and get the stuff we want we'll see where we can get it to.

It helps a lot that the CPA gave us the green light to deduct the price tag since my wife is a 1099 fitness instructor. This room is an add on and has always been a PITA to figure out what to do with. Gutting it and building the gym we want and tax deducting it is such a relief just to make good use of the space I'm happy to spend the money on quality equipment I like.

Very smart my friend. Keep me posted on your final package.

Get Shredded!
I have a lat pull /low row as well as a decline to incline adjustable bench from Legend . They are bad ass . I have a wall mount from Rogue that I like but wish I shad bought a full power rack .I sprung for a Texas power bar . I have a rogue bar and a Yoke from elite fts that I reall like . Inzer easy curl. That I bought all new . I have about 400 lbs of bumpers off Craig's . I ran across a a guy with cybex 45 calf , legress , hack and weights . 30 45's . I stole for a 1000. I picked up a seated calf . I also caught a gym closing and got an extension , leg curl as well as a preacher bench and cybex treadmill . They needed some cleaning but are as good as any gym I've been in. You will not go wrong with legend but there is a lead time probably 6 weeks . Also Rogue sells 3/4 rubber mats . I have about 500 sq Ft and if I remember correctly it was gonna cost about 1500 to do it . I want to do that next . I need to paint my plates and clean up the hack and leg press . Don't regret any of it and use some part of it daily .
Legend really just looked like a better value and it looks a little more robust construction? Hit me up on wickr. I have a lot of questions. The guy from legend says they have a showcase nearby so after we make some choices I'm going to go over and see it all live before pressing send.

Everything Rogue makes us bullet proof and American Made. They are proud of their products and their prices reflect that. Expensive, but awesome stuff.

Everything Rogue makes us bullet proof and American Made. They are proud of their products and their prices reflect that. Expensive, but awesome stuff.
I'm sure Rogue is more than I need, but it doesn't feel like it. Legend is made in Tennessee. I just got back from the Legend showcase. It's no longer a question of if or who, we are just trying to whittle a few dollars off. I'm buying everything I want lol. By Monday I will have the final details.

The one thing that is just gnawing at me is whether I want a dedicated flat bench or if I just want to use the cage. After seeing it in person I am really torn. He rep is a big ol boy. Powerlifting, and I saw his personal gym and he uses the Fusion which is the cage above that I'll be purchasing.

I need to shop the rubber flooring as well.

How are you supposed to pick up on women if you train at home?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

How are you supposed to pick up on women if you train at home?

I don't care, I already told my wife I'll be fucking her in the gym and watching her squat in T backs.

Check out my power rack.My son made it.Cost about 50 bucks

Attachments

• 20160404_205425.jpg
    20160404_205425.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
I don't care, I already told my wife I'll be fucking her in the gym and watching her squat in T backs.
Probably a better plan. I used to fuck my girlfriend on my joe weider bench press when I was a teen. The good ol days.

Back