• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

5 Things To Consider Before Buying A Protein Supplement

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
5 Things To Consider Before Buying A Protein Supplement
by Tom Hofman

Whenever I visit the gym these days, I always see people downing protein shakes from their shaker bottles. Protein supplements are now such an integral part of our culture, it is difficult to contemplate ending a good workout, without consuming some type of shake.

Whether you are an occasional gym goer, or a serious bodybuilder, you probably have a protein supplement stored away somewhere in your home. If not, then I’m willing to bet that you have consumed a protein shake at some point in time — perhaps a smoothie for example. Chances are, you don’t know a huge amount about your protein supplement ingredients, or how you can use the supplement to maximize your results in the gym.

To assist you in choosing the right supplement, here’s five things to look for that I wish I’d known about years ago:

Quality is key

It is definitely better to pay more for a protein supplement that is pure and natural. I make a habit of reading the label, before choosing a protein powder, to ensure that it doesn’t contain more than ten ingredients. Moreover, try to locate a powder that has organic ingredients in it. Usually, if I can not pronounce the names of the different ingredients, I put the supplement back on the shelf and search for something better.

One mistake that many gym goers make is to pay attention to adverts claiming that a powder has ‘extra ingredients’, which will facilitate amazing levels of muscle development. What I discovered, through trial and error, is that supplement manufacturers often put tiny quantities of additional ingredients in their products. By themselves, these ingredients might help to promote muscle growth. However, they are not present in the supplements in big enough quantities to make a substantial impact. Invariably, these sorts of supplements have inflated prices, and are not worth spending your hard earned money on.

Proven Track Record

A further variable to take into account, when choosing a protein supplement, is to research how long the product or manufacturer has been in existence. Generally speaking, I would advise you to avoid buying any supplement that has not been on the market for a few years, or garnered any positive reviews. Usually, if a supplement is still around after a few years, it is due to the fact that it works well.

Beware of the Marketing Bluster

Makers of protein supplements are renown for marketing their products with outrageous promises and claims. Ignore the hyperbole, especially if a product is priced over and above your budget. I do not mean to imply that all heavily marketed supplements are bad, however it is not worth paying over the odds to find out.

Spend some time comparing manufacturer reputations and product ingredients, and do not allow the marketing to affect your choice. The protein supplement I use is produced by a little known manufacturer. This supplement is not heavily promoted, and it comes in fairly plain packaging. However, I buy it because I rate the manufacturer, and the supplement contains good quality ingredients. These are the only things that are important.

Don’t Confuse Your Powders

Protein powders can differ quite considerably. Some of them are designed to help people pile on the pounds, and these contain fat and carbohydrate – as well as protein. These types of supplements are better suited to ectomorphs, who struggle to gain weight. Nonetheless, inexperienced gym goers, who have mesomorphic or endomorphic body types, frequently commit the error of buying one of these products, without realizing that they contain more than protein. Consequently, many of these people end up gaining fat, due to the surplus calories. The supplement you buy should normally contain about one to five grams of fat, twenty to thirty grams of protein per serving, and one to five grams of carbohydrate.

Know the Different Types of Protein

Fitness experts disagree over which kind of protein is most beneficial. Personally, I have used all of them at one time or another, and have not noticed a huge difference. This is just my take though, so if you can afford it – and think that the kind of protein you use matters – here’s what you need to know:

Casein protein takes longer to digest than isolate or concentrate proteins. Serious athletes and bodybuilders often consume casein protein before going to bed. This protein delivers a consistent supply of amino acids during the night, while you sleep.

Isolate whey protein is absorbed fairly quickly, and is better to take straight after a workout. It directs amino acids and proteins into your depleted muscles. Concentrate protein powder is digested at a medium pace. Generally, this is most suitable to take in between meal times.

Ingredients That Should not be Included in Protein Supplements

Now that you know what ingredients your protein supplement should contain, it’s time to move on to the ingredients to avoid. Proteins that have been treated with acid or heat are of little use, because this processing method severely denatures the protein. Proteins containing maltodextrin should be passed over. Likewise, if you notice sucralose, saccharin or aspartame on the list of ingredients, move on. Studies indicate that these artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain and health problems.

Also, if your protein supplement has soy in it, you should pick a different supplement straightaway. Although soy protein is commonly regarded as healthy, it can lead to many problems in both women and men. The vast majority of American produced soy is genetically modified. Foods like this, which are chemically altered, have unknown toxins in them. Just like artificial additives, your body is not prepared to cope with these unnatural components, so consuming them can damage your health over the long term.

Worse still, even if you stick to soy that is not genetically modified, there is still cause for concern. Soy also contains phytoestrogens, which are plant compounds that function like estrogen inside the body. Due to this, reduced levels of testosterone in men are thought to have been caused by the soy protein concentrates and isolates used in several protein supplements.

Back