• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Derek Poundstone - 555lb Atlas Stone

GYMnTONIC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So check this out guys. Trying to participate a bit more. Figured I'd post up an old video of my training Partner, Derek Poundstone.

Derek competed in the Worlds Strongest Man for many years, was Americas Strongest Man several times, etc...

His help to me was invaluable in my own Strongman Career. And I also have to credit him for my job working with WSM for several years as well.

Contrary to popular opinion, alot of people think Brian Shaw was the first person to lift the 555 lb Atlas Stone, but here you will see me with Derek many many years ago doing it. I am the one holding the yoke (the bar he is placing the stone over)

To give you an idea of size comparison, I am 5'8 maybe 225lbs pretty lean here and Derek is probably close to 6'1" and weighing 355lbs here with abs.

Besides Mariusz Pudzianowski, Derek is the most impressive human being I have ever seen pound for pound in person. Other things I saw him do in person..800lb deadlifts for 10 reps...405x20 reps on bench press....315lb standing overhead barbell for 10-15 reps like a toy.

Incredible, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqBIo55FcDU

Pussy. ;). I could take him and that Catholic school girl holding the yoke too. Lol

...more mean internet words... they don't know where I live do they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pussy. ;). I could take him and that Catholic school girl holding the yoke too. Lol...more mean internet words... they don't know where I live do they?

LOL!

Western North Carolina! hahahaha

Impressive for sure- Mariusz Pudzianowski was a beast and one of only a few that was ripped as well- I remember when I first started watching WSM and that Magnus ver Magnusson seemed to win every year- A lot of those guys looked really fat but were "strong like bull" - crazy how strong some of those guys are

Friend of mine from school ... or way back when...Steve McDonald set a record in 2006 I believe ...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hey Wesley.. me and a buddy been working out ..off some of videos... thanks for the tips..!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike thank you man, very cool and ty for checking out the videos.

I see you are in SC? I lived down in Charleston for about a year and trained at gyms down there. Grew up down south (FL) myself so I am a huge fan of the South.

Also when I travel to FL, I stop by this fireworks store off the highway called "Jabs". Off 95. They have all the good stuff (illegal here) LOL

Anyways I know its a bit off topic, but again ty for trying out the methods in the videos :)

Was in Charleston WV for the 08 WSM. Saw Derek drop the stone cuz it had started raining slightly and his hands slipped off it. Had Mariusz beat

Was in Charleston WV for the 08 WSM. Saw Derek drop the stone cuz it had started raining slightly and his hands slipped off it. Had Mariusz beat

Yeah man that was heartbreaking. I posted a link to that below. Derek never made an excuse for this..but he did say the reason he dropped it, was that it was lightly raining, and the stone simply slipped out of his hands. He had a picture blown up of this last second loss. 6feet long x 3 feet high maybe? And he hung it up in his kitchen as motivation. Everytime I saw it, I literally felt sad for him. He deserved that win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVcZlrWavUk

Is Derek still on the police force, or did he retire?

Yes sir he still works as a cop and not too long ago got a Promotion to Seargeant. For awhile he was a High school Resource Officer. They station cops in high schools that are large or have problems. There were literally no problems when he was there LOL>

Man- That is a brutal way to lose- He had it won too- Just a bad stroke of luck really

Back