• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Protein Conversion (gluconeogenesis)

dosborn

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have heard mixed thoughts that too much protein will convert into glucose. Is this true? If so, how do you know your intake is too much or not enough?

that's a real good question, because I just got my first set of blood work done(baseline before my next gear cycle) and my glucose levels were slightly high, (102). So I am very interested in the answer(s) you recieve

Not true. The liver converts noncarbohydrate sources (amino acids) into glucose only in the absence of carbohydrate sources and glucose. Basically it is an emergency source of energy. Think starvation. Your body can also produce glucose from fatty acids, although I think this is a recent discovery.

- - - Updated - - -

that's a real good question, because I just got my first set of blood work done(baseline before my next gear cycle) and my glucose levels were slightly high, (102). So I am very interested in the answer(s) you recieve
Were you fasting? Are you on growth hormone?

The body is unable to store proteins or amino acids, the metabolites of proteins. When excessive amounts of protein are ingested, the excess amino acids produced from digesting proteins are transported to the liver from the small intestine.
When amino acids are absorbed by liver cells a series of chemical reactions begins. The amino acid is oxidised in the presence of an enzyme catalyst. At the same time the amine group, -NH[SUB]2[/SUB], and a hydrogen atom, H, are removed from the main structure of the amino acid. The important product of this reaction is ammonia. The amine group is reduced to ammonia by the addition of a hydrogen atom. This process is called deamination. The non-nitrogenous portion of the molecule is converted to carbohydrates or fats.
http://www.rsc.org/Education/Teachers/Resources/cfb/excretion.htm

Since the carbohydrate portion would be available to become glucose, I guess I could be somewhat wrong in my previous answer.

Not true. The liver converts noncarbohydrate sources (amino acids) into glucose only in the absence of carbohydrate sources and glucose. Basically it is an emergency source of energy. Think starvation. Your body can also produce glucose from fatty acids, although I think this is a recent discovery.

- - - Updated - - -

Were you fasting? Are you on growth hormone?
I was fasting, and I haven't been on GH for three months now

Tall Deck, you should start researching basal insulin. These are the long acting forms, like 24 hours. There is research showing longevity benefits to people who have high fasting blood glucose as they get older.

Gluconeogenesis is for the brain. The brain needs glucose to function, so when in a carb restrictive periods for a long time, the liver produces ketones for energy. But the brain also needs energy, so gluconeogenesis takes whatever it can find and squeezes out some glucose for the brain.

I find this very interesting, but now I'm more confused because...if a portion of the protein gets converted into glucose, then when do keytones come into the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ketones are used for energy, the new glucose is used to support the brain (the amount of glucose made is just enough to keep blood sugar around 80 or so)when carbohydrates are not present. The process of gluconeogenesis does not replenish muscle glycogen.

i use on some clients a diet of high fat , mod lean proteins and a certain amount of 3 of the 9 essential amino acids in a timed plan and guys grow LBM and they dont get fat or gain any bf.....the ratios depend on the person...some convert fat and proteinsd(aminos) faster then others....

LBM factors into the equation also....if someone is at a mid to higher bodyfat range then the diet isnt as effective......once dialed in even Insulin use can be in the mix with no added carbs of any type....just the conversion of the amino acids to glycogen with less fat stores from Insulin....

there will be a Youtube channel out soon with some pro bodybuilders using the plan from the above post.......

yes to much protein does convert, these bros consuming 250g plus damn PRO'S dont even hit that much no need averages bros like us to consume that much, how much depends like mentioned trial and error

Back