• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Barbell Drag Curls - how do yo do em?

Dannie

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have been incorporating barbell drag curls into my workouts on and off for over a year now, mind you I had never seen anyone performing these at any gym I went to.

So what I always did was to grab the barbell wide, about 2" wider than shoulder width, slightly bend the knees and bring the torso forward. Rising/ dragging the barbell up to my top abs.
I recently looked them up on YouTube, whilst most people perform them the way I do, some keep the body straight and move the barbell up all the way to upper pecs. I tried that, impossible to lift 80lbs... whereas last week I smashed 20 reps with that weight.

How do you perform barbell drag curls?

Last edited:
I have been incorporating barbell drag curls into my workouts on and off for over a year now, mind you I had never seen anyone performing these at any gym I went to. So what I always did was to grab the barbell wide, about 2" wider than shoulder width, slightly bend the knees and bring the torso forward. Rising/ dragging the barbell up to my top abs. I recently looked them up on YouTube, whilst most people perform them the way I do, some keep the body straight and move the barbell up all the way to upper pecs. I tried that, impossible to lift 80lbs... whereas last week I smashed 20 reps with that weight. How do you perform barbell drag curls?
Pretty much drag it up my torso, until my elbows can't go any further back. Usually nipple height is where mine stops.

Drag curls are the shit bro.
Lean slightly forward and drag. Kinda like a down syndrome upright row

I do them on the smith machine.

Pretty much drag it up my torso, until my elbows can't go any further back. Usually nipple height is where mine stops.
Now going through the movement with my imaginary barbell I realize that elbows would have to come forward in order to drag the bar all the way up to upper pecs / neck area.

I wish I could get some 70s bodybuilder to clarify that for me. It's the only bicep exercise I do, so I wanna make sure I am doing it correctly.

Yeah man I learned mine from Vince Gironda. (not sure you know who he is..he's an old school Pro Bodybuilder..turned a bit creepy in his old age..but his theory is spot on imo
00515.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04x3G_Vyh0I

Also for biceps I have another option for you that I created that I use with my clients..try these out, you might like them-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn3_GAZwtw

I do them on the smith machine.

Maybe I'm not understanding the pathway of the bar going up but the smith machine seems like it would limit you in its fixed straight horizontal path.

Maybe I'm not understanding the pathway of the bar going up but the smith machine seems like it would limit you in its fixed straight horizontal path.

It may a little but I can go up high enough to get a great burn and pump, it is very effective for me, and keeps things strict.

Yeah man I learned mine from Vince Gironda. (not sure you know who he is..he's an old school Pro Bodybuilder..turned a bit creepy in his old age..but his theory is spot on imo
00515.jpg
That very video made me question if I was doing it right, there was only one other youtuber pergormin drag curls in similiar fashion to Vince. Other's did short ROM. Anyhow I have been smashing 80lbs for 20 reps using shorter ROM (up to rib cage), grip 2" wider than shoulder width. Just tried longer ROM (up to mid pec), started off with 40lbs and maxed out at 60lbs for 14 reps, grip 3.5" wider than shoulder width. Did not feel quite accomplished so rested for good 5 or 10 mins and put 75lbs on, managed to squeeze 10 reps there. Will asses the level of soreness tomorrow to help me decide which variation is more beneficial. Perhaps I will alternate the styles on weekly basis.

IML Gear Cream!
I do them in a smith machine as well. Most smith machines aren't dead vertical so I'm on the side so the path moves into me. Focus on pushing the elbows behind you when you curl up, squeezing for 1-2 seconds at the top. It's more of an isolation exercise for me so I don't go to heavy, the squeeze makes it feel heavy though.

That very video made me question if I was doing it right, there was only one other youtuber pergormin drag curls in similiar fashion to Vince. Other's did short ROM. Anyhow I have been smashing 80lbs for 20 reps using shorter ROM (up to rib cage), grip 2" wider than shoulder width. Just tried longer ROM (up to mid pec), started off with 40lbs and maxed out at 60lbs for 14 reps, grip 3.5" wider than shoulder width. Did not feel quite accomplished so rested for good 5 or 10 mins and put 75lbs on, managed to squeeze 10 reps there. Will asses the level of soreness tomorrow to help me decide which variation is more beneficial. Perhaps I will alternate the styles on weekly basis.

Update:

3 hours after that workout and I am suffering.
Bi's are cramping up like crazy. I was hoping to do lotta house work today, but it's near impossible.

Then you hit them hard right? good for you Dannie! I will be doing these tomorrow morning and cannot wait, love how these give you the burn and that great pump!

Vince Gironda was the man. I've learned his method of drag curls in his Unleashing wild physique book.

00515.jpg

Also for biceps I have another option for you that I created that I use with my clients..try these out, you might like them-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bn3_GAZwtw

Ive never done these.. I have 2 questions!

1) when do you incorp in in your routine, mid way or beginning? because theres no way after a bi workout that I have that my pumps would allow me to do these...

2) do you come to a full extension at the bottom, or a slight curl, is the arm fully 100% straight at the start point each time?

Then you hit them hard right? good for you Dannie! I will be doing these tomorrow morning and cannot wait, love how these give you the burn and that great pump!
Yeah, bi's were destroyed. I think I will use long ROM from now onwards.

Ive never done these.. I have 2 questions!

1) when do you incorp in in your routine, mid way or beginning? because theres no way after a bi workout that I have that my pumps would allow me to do these...

2) do you come to a full extension at the bottom, or a slight curl, is the arm fully 100% straight at the start point each time?

1) At the end of my back and biceps routine, note I do only 1 exercise per body part so these are my sole biceps exercise.
2) Almost full extension, or as much as your quads let you since they will be in the way of the barbell.

Yeah, bi's were destroyed. I think I will use long ROM from now onwards.

1) At the end of my back and biceps routine, note I do only 1 exercise per body part so these are my sole biceps exercise.
2) Almost full extension, or as much as your quads let you since they will be in the way of the barbell.

I'm gonna try'em tonight, but I'm definitely going to watch a few videos before I do it.. but what I'm gathering you have to squeeze the entire time? I'm going to skip the Hammers and add these at the end..

Yea elbows back(should not flare out) you literally drag the bar up your body and you can do some weight on this, try barbell and smith machine, I really like the smith but you have to be on the side that when you drag it up it comes in and not out, I also like doing them with dumbbells as well, great pumps and burns! I don't do these as a finisher but I do them towards the end of my bi workout.

I went to the gym this morning with my little brother and I mentioned these he was actually surprised that I haven't done these because I'm the one often given him the insight... To my surprise he was pretty familiar with these and he corrected me a little bit and I was doing them wrong, just like the suggestions here he said the same thing... These are actually pretty legit and I was blown away at how full my arms got.. all the way around full volume.. it's going to be interesting from here on out..
.Thanks Dannie for the thread!

Back