PDA

View Full Version : Ask for a spot

ponyboy
03-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Today while doing legs I was appreciating a guys effort on the bench. Slow down and up, good form, and good weight. When I saw him planning a tear down set, I kept watch. Why? I have done this and bit off more than I could chew. He got stuck with the bar on his chest trying to jerk his back a little to get the bar back up. I ran over immediately and flag another guy down to help get the weight back safely on the rack. If you are training correct and pushing yourself, ask for a spot! Most of us have got your back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TouaregV8
03-08-2017, 05:03 AM
I've been in this same position. I was observing a younger guy getting ready to bench 315lbs. I knew by looking at his size that he was going to have trouble with it so I kept an eye on him. Needless to say once he got a few reps in he was done and couldn't get anymore. He was dead in the water and couldn't budge the bar off his chest. I ran over as soon as I could and helped him out. No one else in the gym was paying any attention. I politely but firmly encouraged him to ask for a spot next time.

DUTCHPHARMA
03-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Another thing even if you can bench 405 500 ect you can tear a pec with 315 and have that crash on your neck/chest...not good lol

MindlessWork
03-09-2017, 05:02 PM
I've helped people who run into trouble many times myself, females included. If you are going to go heavy get a spotter and that can save you from injury should you fail and need to bail.

Another thing even if you can bench 405 500 ect you can tear a pec with 315 and have that crash on your neck/chest...not good lol

Exactly...I've felt that warning pain in my pecs before, and I know just to put the bar back in the rack.