• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Any savy cable/internet techs avail? some questions

Vision

Team supervisor P.S.L.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Yesterday I had some techs come to my home office due to a upgrade that was needed, internet speed has been lagging and at times crashing..Here's my questions, I checked the speed prior to getting a new modem yesterday and it seems to be in the norm, for a moment, then it would crash and go back up again (that gauge speed test)... Now that they gave me a new modem,its slow as fuck! what kind of upgrade was that? plus the tech went outside and said it had to do with wires, and claimed they need to come back and dig up the ground to do some sort of upgrade... However, they billed me for him messing with the wires and he didnt do shit, I watched the fucker, he was there for about 10mins...

why is my service having such issues? and how can the signal be so weak if they claimed to upgrade my shit?

is it true that the outside wires are out dated like he claimed????

help....

Most likely not. Could be a cable node problem. That's pretty common. But as for the wire itself, I'm very doubtful. This wouldn't make the internet "slow", it would pick up and drop all the time instead.

Most likely not. Could be a cable node problem. That's pretty common. But as for the wire itself, I'm very doubtful. This wouldn't make the internet "slow", it would pick up and drop all the time instead.

That's what's happening.. I got a brand spanking new PC that is bad ass, so I know it's not that, it has to be something that's being over looked....What's a cable node?? So could this effect speed and connection? I'll be on a page and click to a next and it says unavailable,then I refresh and it's all good?!?!

Yes, it could absolutely be the wires that are running to your house.... We had to have new wires installed from the cable box outside to our house in order to have fiberoptic and get the increase of speed. We were on it for about a month before I realized we weren't getting any extra speed.

Lines put in years ago were not meant for the type of speed that they have now. Its like your upgrade of computer. The old one wasn't running the programs fast enough and now that you have the newest and greatest computer (for the next month before its outdated :) ) those same programs run at lightning speed.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what's happening.. I got a brand spanking new PC that is bad ass, so I know it's not that, it has to be something that's being over looked....What's a cable node?? So could this effect speed and connection? I'll be on a page and click to a next and it says unavailable,then I refresh and it's all good?!?!

That right there of it not being able to have page available means that the internet is crashing. That shouldn't be a wire issue as much as a service issue.

That makes perfect sense...The guy said that he has to fill paperwork in order to have them dig up outside. I totally get the part about having new PC and the latest modem and such, but the outside being out dated due to fast tech changing at such speeds..

It just seems like I'm gonna have issues with my services now fighting to get them to update the outside, unless I can maybe see if my neighbors have issues and all complain at once and give them a good reason to make the trip out here?!?!

Form what you're describing it could be a copper problem. Do you have cable or DSL? DSL is more susceptible to medium problems than cable. Sounds like you've been having problems with it dropping connection and having variable latency. That could also be provisioning problems too.

What kind of ISP bills you for fixing a problem on their end? I'd contest the bill considering the problem is with their service. Can you change ISPs? I'm pretty hard on service providers because they fuck up all the time and try to blame the on-site IT support, I don't let that shit fly

Form what you're describing it could be a copper problem. Do you have cable or DSL? DSL is more susceptible to medium problems than cable. Sounds like you've been having problems with it dropping connection and having variable latency. That could also be provisioning problems too.

What kind of ISP bills you for fixing a problem on their end? I'd contest the bill considering the problem is with their service. Can you change ISPs? I'm pretty hard on service providers because they fuck up all the time and try to blame the on-site IT support, I don't let that shit fly

I will talk to my wife and I will get the bill from her and find out exactly what it's about, but one thing I do know they are a independent that works as a subcontractor for my provider, so possibly it may be a frivolous claim... I was going to call the provider today and find out what's going on because I'm not fucking paying that this is their problem not mine.. but then again it's becoming my problem... I have cable, and I am not fucking happy with it..
Something else came to mind, what if I have someone in the household running WiFi off of their phone would that also affect the speed of other devices????

That makes perfect sense...The guy said that he has to fill paperwork in order to have them dig up outside. I totally get the part about having new PC and the latest modem and such, but the outside being out dated due to fast tech changing at such speeds..

It just seems like I'm gonna have issues with my services now fighting to get them to update the outside, unless I can maybe see if my neighbors have issues and all complain at once and give them a good reason to make the trip out here?!?!

They should be pretty good about replacing the lines. Usually they will try to do all the neighbors at once if they can. They did ours in one day about 4 hours. It made a world of difference.

DSL vs Cable... Easy way to tell.... Go to your modem, look at where it connects to the wall... Is it a phone jack? If its a phone jack then it is DSL, if not it will be cable and look just like your TV does.

I will talk to my wife and I will get the bill from her and find out exactly what it's about, but one thing I do know they are a independent that works as a subcontractor for my provider, so possibly it may be a frivolous claim... I was going to call the provider today and find out what's going on because I'm not fucking paying that this is their problem not mine.. but then again it's becoming my problem... I have cable, and I am not fucking happy with it..
Something else came to mind, what if I have someone in the household running WiFi off of their phone would that also affect the speed of other devices????

No running WIFI shouldn't slow it down that much. Now obviously the more people using the internet at a time will slow it down but you shouldn't ever actually notice a difference in that.. Only time you would notice a difference is if someone was downloading movies or something to that extreme.

No it shouldn't slow it down that much unless you have a low bandwidth connection and they're streaming video constantly. But it would have to be pretty low bandwidth to do that. I'm assuming you don't have a l2l VPN coming from your router right? Because that will shave 25ish% right off the top of your connection with encryption overhead

IML Gear Cream!
It's the thingy (I say thingy because I took computer networking like 8 years ago) that's up there with the transformers on the power-lines. Typically if a specific area is getting a lot of complaints it's the node.

The webpage not showing up sounds like a connection issue and not a speed issue. OR, (I don't know how you have it set-up) when you got the new modem, the router and modem have to share IP-addresses with one anothers, sometimes it takes it a bit for all this to synch up and be stored. If that's the case, it'll get faster as time goes on. But if it's the same old shit constantly dropping, then that sounds like a wire.

some service providers suck. Like the one I have (Comcast/Xfinity). About two days out of every month I either have to wait an hour for the TV service to work, or for my email to be accessed, or for a general Internet crash to fix itself. But comcast has a monopoly in my area when it comes to cable internet service. So I haven't any other choice. But apparently it sounds like you've been having a lot more crashes than just twice a month like I usually have. I'd be on the telephone every day until the problem is fixed and demanding to speak with a manager

Last edited:
They are not really techs. They are Proviron zombie junkies who work incognito looking for those tiny little pearls of love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not really techs. They are Proviron zombie junkies who work incognito looking for those tiny little pearls of love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL!!! You have quite the imagination bro... that sounds like a plot for a movie on the Sci-Fi channel. Your talent is being wasted...

All the cable providers suck, some of the worst customer satisfaction rates in any industry anywhere. I have Comcast... and I even used to work for em long ago so I can say with some authority that the semi-regulated monopoly model is the source of all our misery.

Make sure you read your bills closely and understand EVERY charge. They'll overbill you and add fresh new bullshit services without even fluttering an eyelash. I recently needed a "defective" set top box replaced (they actually had sent a wrong back-level refurb model that couldn't do the job) so they could give me HD services and they went ahead and added a $10/mo "second adapter" charge along with shipping charges for the new unit. I got that all scrubbed. You have to bitch loudly to get all this shit fixed, maybe talk to multiple people or managers. I believe some of the customer service reps actually get commissions for these new services so they're deliberately adding the shit without telling you. Stay aware.

Can you read the specs along the side of the cable in the ground that needs to be replaced? Small pale white text, usually. Older cables weren't meant for broadband services and 300 channels, only the 50 channels or whatever from when cable was new. It's common and legit and good for you to get it replaced.

There are many cable types but RG-6 or RG-11 with good shielding is your likely replacement. Older RG-58 or -59 is thinner (not always noticeably) and shitty... if you have that, rip it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Standards

For very short 5' or 10' lengths the older cable should actually not be a problem but it's cheap enough to upgrade, may as well. For longer lengths you'll definitely suffer.

To troubleshoot the problem and isolate to that incoming underground link, plug your modem directly into it and eliminate all downstream cabling. Run those speed tests repeatedly. Chances are your tech dude is right and it just needs to be ripped up and re-run.

To eliminate signal hijackers (entirely possible, and they could be torrenting terabytes of movies or maybe they're infected with viruses and spamming the rest of the net) you need to login to the modem admin page and see all the connections. Use WPA2, never ever WEP. Use strong passwords. "!gm@otBS" is a good one (tho 12+ chars is better). "hunter7" is not. :) Disable any remote admin capability for the device -- this allows hackers from the internet to break in if there are any vulnerabilities, and they get discovered all the time.

Ooops, I wrote a novel. Fucking caffeine.

All the cable providers suck, some of the worst customer satisfaction rates in any industry anywhere. I have Comcast... and I even used to work for em long ago so I can say with some authority that the semi-regulated monopoly model is the source of all our misery.

Make sure you read your bills closely and understand EVERY charge. They'll overbill you and add fresh new bullshit services without even fluttering an eyelash. I recently needed a "defective" set top box replaced (they actually had sent a wrong back-level refurb model that couldn't do the job) so they could give me HD services and they went ahead and added a $10/mo "second adapter" charge along with shipping charges for the new unit. I got that all scrubbed. You have to bitch loudly to get all this shit fixed, maybe talk to multiple people or managers. I believe some of the customer service reps actually get commissions for these new services so they're deliberately adding the shit without telling you. Stay aware.

Can you read the specs along the side of the cable in the ground that needs to be replaced? Small pale white text, usually. Older cables weren't meant for broadband services and 300 channels, only the 50 channels or whatever from when cable was new. It's common and legit and good for you to get it replaced.

There are many cable types but RG-6 or RG-11 with good shielding is your likely replacement. Older RG-58 or -59 is thinner (not always noticeably) and shitty... if you have that, rip it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Standards

For very short 5' or 10' lengths the older cable should actually not be a problem but it's cheap enough to upgrade, may as well. For longer lengths you'll definitely suffer.

To troubleshoot the problem and isolate to that incoming underground link, plug your modem directly into it and eliminate all downstream cabling. Run those speed tests repeatedly. Chances are your tech dude is right and it just needs to be ripped up and re-run.

To eliminate signal hijackers (entirely possible, and they could be torrenting terabytes of movies or maybe they're infected with viruses and spamming the rest of the net) you need to login to the modem admin page and see all the connections. Use WPA2, never ever WEP. Use strong passwords. "!gm@otBS" is a good one (tho 12+ chars is better). "hunter7" is not. :) Disable any remote admin capability for the device -- this allows hackers from the internet to break in if there are any vulnerabilities, and they get discovered all the time.

Ooops, I wrote a novel. Fucking caffeine.

Bro you rock man this is the feedback that I need to hear...

Let me get you some information...

And I agree with the Monopoly because I have Comcast and there's nothing I can fucking do I literally have no other provider... they are absolute scumbags because they do provide me with the customer service that I need because they are available 24 fucking 7 however they're not at my house when I fucking need them so by technicality they're always available, but not when I really need them...

It after reviewing everything it looks like I'm being charged rent for the new modem, in lieu of billing me every fucking month they made it one lump sum, and it appears that they're charging me for services done in my house like changing out the Splitters and shit.. I never fucking told them to do that I told them last week that my shit has had prolonged issues and they made an appointment to have a guy come out and give me an upgrade... whatever is coming out of that wall is definitely upgraded whether it's the new modem and the cables and my computer, whatever is behind that wall going into the fucking ground is a completely different story...

Maybe this new modem inside of the appropriate settings is everything that they say it is but not in my situation...

I can totally see where they're starting to scumbag me...

Is it inside of your house or an apartment? Reason I ask is because technically you are responsible for any cabling inside the house past their demarcation point. I'd challenge it anyways though. Fuck em. Their shit isn't working like it's supposed to. That's their responsibility, and they need to handle that in a timely manner. We are talking about your home business here. Of course they'll pull the whole "if you want business service you have to pay for it" horseshit but they still need to provide the service you are paying for or credit you back ALL the days where you had connectivity issues. I play this game with AT&T on a bimonthly basis, as well as various ISPs for different clients. It's annoying.

Anyhow, just so you know, it's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot connectivity issues remotely (or from this forum lol). I can only provide you with as much info as I can. It sounds like chocolate is a cable guy, I'm just a network engineer so I don't know all the ins and outs of cable honestly. Not my forte I guess you could say

Is it inside of your house or an apartment? Reason I ask is because technically you are responsible for any cabling inside the house past their demarcation point. I'd challenge it anyways though. Fuck em. Their shit isn't working like it's supposed to. That's their responsibility, and they need to handle that in a timely manner. We are talking about your home business here. Of course they'll pull the whole "if you want business service you have to pay for it" horseshit but they still need to provide the service you are paying for or credit you back ALL the days where you had connectivity issues. I play this game with AT&T on a bimonthly basis, as well as various ISPs for different clients. It's annoying.

Anyhow, just so you know, it's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot connectivity issues remotely (or from this forum lol). I can only provide you with as much info as I can. It sounds like chocolate is a cable guy, I'm just a network engineer so I don't know all the ins and outs of cable honestly. Not my forte I guess you could say

Due to my career I understand the legalities when it pertains to the boundaries of when and where the CC or ISP becomes responsible and the demarcation, it's all BS.. Thus this is were they are trying to hit me up for charges INSIDE even with simple splitters and such (I can fucking put them in, I don't need their little hidden scam, I seen right through that shit).. Its a home and for biz (but I don't pay biz service,maybe I should).. I just can't believe how they are trying to roll me here..

I can see if this was a sewage line, bit it's damn cable for crying out-loud.. They can keep the dang TV, we have a firestick so Im cool with that, I just need the net.. Im ready to yoke a bloke..

Due to my career I understand the legalities when it pertains to the boundaries of when and where the CC or ISP becomes responsible and the demarcation, it's all BS.. Thus this is were they are trying to hit me up for charges INSIDE even with simple splitters and such (I can fucking put them in, I don't need their little hidden scam, I seen right through that shit).. Its a home and for biz (but I don't pay biz service,maybe I should).. I just can't believe how they are trying to roll me here..

I can see if this was a sewage line, bit it's damn cable for crying out-loud.. They can keep the dang TV, we have a firestick so Im cool with that, I just need the net.. Im ready to yoke a bloke..
Gotcha. Yeah fuck em. I can't stand ISPs. They're some of the shadiest people in IT. I have a regional tier-2 ISP that likes to sell a line of dogshit and then sue people for breach of contract when they can them because they suck. I'm talking 70+ms latency on point to point networks. That's fucking horrible. I wont even use copper networks at all anymore if I can get them fiber. It's not worth it

Gotcha. Yeah fuck em. I can't stand ISPs. They're some of the shadiest people in IT. I have a regional tier-2 ISP that likes to sell a line of dogshit and then sue people for breach of contract when they can them because they suck. I'm talking 70+ms latency on point to point networks. That's fucking horrible. I wont even use copper networks at all anymore if I can get them fiber. It's not worth it

First of all, not all ISP employees are shady. Most field techs(not all) are doing what they can to help you get the service you're paying for and saving face for the company at the same time b/c of what other internal departments have already said/done. It's the sales departments and the overseas tech support who are shady, so don't shit on the field guy. Secondly, I don't know jack about cable but I do know vdsl/fiber and if the ISP is charging you for simple pieces of inevitably failing hardware such as splitters, than that is bs. And if they are charging you for the drop wire(The line that comes from the main node to the demarcation point on the outside of your house, that too is bs. UNLESS, someone such as a contractor or utility damaged the line (i.e. trash truck rips an aerial drop down, landscaping/city contractor digs up a buried line, etc.), but that wouldn't be charged to you. It would be charged to the damaging party.
What ISP sues people for breach of contract? If a person breached the contract, they'd most likely be charged an early termination fee which would progress into collections if unpaid, but a lawsuit? come on man.
What ISP do you have where you are getting a 70+ms latency? I'm using a VPN and pinging from another country and getting latency in the 50s.

Not calling you out Garlic, just stating what I know.

Get Shredded!
First of all, not all ISP employees are shady. Most field techs(not all) are doing what they can to help you get the service you're paying for and saving face for the company at the same time b/c of what other internal departments have already said/done. It's the sales departments and the overseas tech support who are shady, so don't shit on the field guy. Secondly, I don't know jack about cable but I do know vdsl/fiber and if the ISP is charging you for simple pieces of inevitably failing hardware such as splitters, than that is bs. And if they are charging you for the drop wire(The line that comes from the main node to the demarcation point on the outside of your house, that too is bs. UNLESS, someone such as a contractor or utility damaged the line (i.e. trash truck rips an aerial drop down, landscaping/city contractor digs up a buried line, etc.), but that wouldn't be charged to you. It would be charged to the damaging party.
What ISP sues people for breach of contract? If a person breached the contract, they'd most likely be charged an early termination fee which would progress into collections if unpaid, but a lawsuit? come on man.
What ISP do you have where you are getting a 70+ms latency? I'm using a VPN and pinging from another country and getting latency in the 50s.

Not calling you out Garlic, just stating what I know.

Lol. You are trying to call me out, but it's okay. I'm a senior network engineer. Just because the company you work for isn't shady doesn't mean that the majority of them are also not shady. I deal with ISP issues on a weekly basis across quite a few carriers, out of about 12 I work with only three of them are on the ball. I'm not going to say the name of the ISP because it gives away a pretty precise location.

They are a tier-2 provider that leases lines from Tier-1 providers like AT&T, Level 3, Sprint, Verizon, Cogent, etc, to create MPLS, eVPL, etc privately routed multipoint WAN networks for businesses. After the initial install they rarely call back on troubleshooting tickets, take days and sometimes weeks to make or arrange repairs. I had one MPLS network with routine 70+Ms latency between two locations that after TWO YEARS of calling in tickets and bitching on a monthly basis they finally repaired to have ~22ms latency between the locations. Of course that came a little late since we already started a contract for eVPL fiber with a different provider that I know is solid. Also, yes, they do sue people on a regular basis. My company withdrew from a contract with them because they literally never turned up the line....then two months later we got a bill for $10,000. We told them they could go fuck themselves because they breached their own contract. They responded with their senior attorney calling our owner, who once again told him to go fuck himself. Then they served the board members a lawsuit. Literally. Of course we took them to court and won, but not without wasting thousands of dollars and countless amounts of time from higher paid engineers like myself. Then a year down the road they pulled the EXACT same scenario with one of our clients. Never turned up their line after six months. Same scenario, except we advised them to immediately take them to court, which saved them quite a bit of dough.

These are just a couple real life scenarios that I've dealt with over the last few years.

To echo your words, come on man. Not calling you out, just stating what I know. Those shitbirds make their dough locking unsuspecting people into long contracts and bullying them into either dealing with shitty service or paying an absurd early termination fee. They get zero business from my company now, and we have the majority of the business clients in our area.

Lol. You are trying to call me out, but it's okay. I'm a senior network engineer. Just because the company you work for isn't shady doesn't mean that the majority of them are also not shady. I deal with ISP issues on a weekly basis across quite a few carriers, out of about 12 I work with only three of them are on the ball. I'm not going to say the name of the ISP because it gives away a pretty precise location.

They are a tier-2 provider that leases lines from Tier-1 providers like AT&T, Level 3, Sprint, Verizon, Cogent, etc, to create MPLS, eVPL, etc privately routed multipoint WAN networks for businesses. After the initial install they rarely call back on troubleshooting tickets, take days and sometimes weeks to make or arrange repairs. I had one MPLS network with routine 70+Ms latency between two locations that after TWO YEARS of calling in tickets and bitching on a monthly basis they finally repaired to have ~22ms latency between the locations. Of course that came a little late since we already started a contract for eVPL fiber with a different provider that I know is solid. Also, yes, they do sue people on a regular basis. My company withdrew from a contract with them because they literally never turned up the line....then two months later we got a bill for $10,000. We told them they could go fuck themselves because they breached their own contract. They responded with their senior attorney calling our owner, who once again told him to go fuck himself. Then they served the board members a lawsuit. Literally. Of course we took them to court and won, but not without wasting thousands of dollars and countless amounts of time from higher paid engineers like myself. Then a year down the road they pulled the EXACT same scenario with one of our clients. Never turned up their line after six months. Same scenario, except we advised them to immediately take them to court, which saved them quite a bit of dough.

These are just a couple real life scenarios that I've dealt with over the last few years.

To echo your words, come on man. Not calling you out, just stating what I know. Those shitbirds make their dough locking unsuspecting people into long contracts and bullying them into either dealing with shitty service or paying an absurd early termination fee. They get zero business from my company now, and we have the majority of the business clients in our area.

Honestly, I wasn't calling you out. Half my response was to Vision and the other half was to you, but I now realize we are talking apples to oranges. I have tier 1 and tier 2 isps mixed up. I use ilec/clec. I work for a tier 1 isp. I was referring to the residential side, not the business(corporate) side. That's a whole other ballgame. Those business circuits aren't cheap so I can see how some clec would screw the customer out of as much money possible for cancelling service.

Not to hijack this thread, but senior network engineer is my goal. Do you have Cisco or Juniper certs by chance?

You don't want to pay for business service at least from experience. The SLA is same day, but you pay A LOT more for the same service.

Honestly, I wasn't calling you out. Half my response was to Vision and the other half was to you, but I now realize we are talking apples to oranges. I have tier 1 and tier 2 isps mixed up. I use ilec/clec. I work for a tier 1 isp. I was referring to the residential side, not the business(corporate) side. That's a whole other ballgame. Those business circuits aren't cheap so I can see how some clec would screw the customer out of as much money possible for cancelling service.

Not to hijack this thread, but senior network engineer is my goal. Do you have Cisco or Juniper certs by chance?

No problem dude. I'm on a lot of tren lol. I see what you're talking about. Yeah most tier-1 ISPs are pretty solid. My only bad experiences were with Sprint once and with Cogent once. Both were just fucked fiber connections that were getting stupid latency and they couldn't fix so they pulled out lol. I've had real good experiences with level 3 and AT&T (only fiber, not copper media lol).

I do have Cisco certs. Moving this over to PM..

You don't want to pay for business service at least from experience. The SLA is same day, but you pay A LOT more for the same service.

Yeah for the most part I definitely agree. There are some instances where it's better in my locale though. Kinda depends on who they're using around me

Not really a cable guy here, datacenter systems mainly. I just like to figure stuff out.

In my case with wrangling all the Comcast crap and having each call result in a NEW problem caused by the rep along with maybe or maybe not a fix for the previous one, it was the 20-something year old scruffy dude with an 8" fro showing up at the front door and working for a subcontractor who solved ALL the problems, not just the substandard cable and connectors but also the backend config snafus. Funny how these big corps work sometimes -- 20 people fucking around or fucking shit up for every 1 talented dude who is scrambling to actually fix and build out the systems.

A small business would often be far better off getting consumer internet service from two completely different providers (e.g. cable and phone) and keeping them both up and running. Just switch over if one of them dies, or run half your gear on one and half on the other, again just switching things physically (or wifi) in case of outage. Not exactly high availability but far simpler and cheaper if you don't really need it.

Wish I could help but I'm not the best at technology in general haha

Back