• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Squat wtf

BOGNERrocker

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ok so I got this dude that I've known a long time who's got pretty strong legs and does wrestling n shit all a sudden telling me how I need to be doing my squats. Which is fine his legs are bigger than mine and I've fractured my spine 2 yrs ago so I'm all ears for TIPS!?

However he says that when starting my first rep of squat that I should NOT be starting from a standing position but I should load the bar to half of my max and START from a squatting position...

Maybe I'm a fuckin retard but I've never heard of this and call me a pussy but I'm afraid this would snap my shit up! or does this sound like solid advise??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you unrack a bar from squating position? Normally I would unrack take a step or 2 back then start but If Im already in squat position how do I back up from the rack to start my squats?

KyOi2w.jpg

Sounds like an Anderson squat, I have done them and like them, but I don't do them every leg workout, just now and then for a change.

Here's a good example:

Sounds like an Anderson squat, I have done them and like them, but I don't do them every leg workout, just now and then for a change.

Here's a good example:

This!!!! Is what he was talking about.. starting with the bar on the safety thing crawl under and start from low position. Idk just sounded like good way for me to re injure my shit.. that's why I thought I'd ask yal.

Fuck that shit lol, man as you get older you need to weigh the risks vs rewards, screw that shit, regular squat good enough for me, not going to risk lower back and knees.

Risk vs Reward

Fuck that shit lol, man as you get older you need to weigh the risks vs rewards, screw that shit, regular squat good enough for me, not going to risk lower back and knees.

Risk vs Reward

Exactly what I'm thinkin man

Risk vs Reward
x2 my thoughts exactly.

Been doing Anderson squats to stay heavy around a back injury and they work great as back inj fades I drop pins and some even do it as a way t inc a pr... Say add 25 to your max...Do 3/4 squat drop pins every couple weeks and alternate weeks of full squats high reps eventually youll be doing 25lbs more ...Will work but like Mike Mentzer(or was it Arthur Jones?) said in bodybuilding/strength training "everything works but nothing works forever...As far as your injury work around it any way you want...If you can do light full squats do them eventually youll be where you need to be

Anderson squats/pin squats are great. Although I've heard you should never start from the bottom. You can't set yourself up for a squat at the bottom as naturally as you can when you actually do a squat. You risk being out of position and not engaging your muscles as well.

I got that from Mike Tuscherer, just so you know I'm not bullshitting you. Mike is one of the most dominant coaches in powerlifting today.

The risk does not equal the reward, not worth it.

IML Gear Cream!
Have no idea what you're all talking about. An Anderson Squat uses less weight then a regular squat because you don't get the stretch reflex at the bottom and you start from a dead-stop. Then only way you'll snap anything up if is your form is incorrect. In which case, it's not going to matter what type of squat you're doing.

It's a nice change up.

Have no idea what you're all talking about. An Anderson Squat uses less weight then a regular squat because you don't get the stretch reflex at the bottom and you start from a dead-stop. Then only way you'll snap anything up if is your form is incorrect. In which case, it's not going to matter what type of squat you're doing.

It's a nice change up.

Yes it starts from a dead stop. In order to get to that dead stop, you are recommend to descend using your natural squat until you get to the pins. It's safer and you're naturally set up for the squat from the pins using the descent.

Not sure if this is translating I'm trying my best to explain what I'm saying.

Ok so I got this dude that I've known a long time who's got pretty strong legs and does wrestling n shit all a sudden telling me how I need to be doing my squats. Which is fine his legs are bigger than mine and I've fractured my spine 2 yrs ago so I'm all ears for TIPS!?
Well, be careful with that back. One thing to try is sets of 20 reps. Try it.

It's a nice change up.
As I'm sure that everyone here knows, proper form/proper movement during each rep is of utmost importance with barbell squats. IN my very brief experience with squatting off of the pins using the bottom of the movement as the starting point of the rep, I noticed that it's a whole lot easier to use poor form and to do things like allowing your lower back and azz to begin moving upward BEFORE you begin raising your upper back and shoulders upward, and then you basically make it more of a leg press movement at the bottom of the rep and therefore have to compensate at the top of the rep by making it a lower back movement as you're ascending in order to catch up with your upper back.

By comparison, I find that when beginning the rep at the top from a standing position, whatever movement on the way downward is the same movement that you will tend to use while you're back on the way up since you're just copying what you did on the way down. But when you begin the movement on the bottom of the rep, you don't have the mental ability nor the feel of being able to copy that downward movement, so when you raise the bar up, there's nothing that you have to make a mental copy of. To put it another way...there's no groove for you to follow on the way up that would've otherwise been established on your way down.

So due to what I've explained above^ I find it more difficult to keep proper form if I begin at the bottom of the rep.

As I'm sure that everyone here knows, proper form/proper movement during each rep is of utmost importance with barbell squats. IN my very brief experience with squatting off of the pins using the bottom of the movement as the starting point of the rep, I noticed that it's a whole lot easier to use poor form and to do things like allowing your lower back and azz to begin moving upward BEFORE you begin raising your upper back and shoulders upward, and then you basically make it more of a leg press movement at the bottom of the rep and therefore have to compensate at the top of the rep by making it a lower back movement as you're ascending in order to catch up with your upper back.

By comparison, I find that when beginning the rep at the top from a standing position, whatever movement on the way downward is the same movement that you will tend to use while you're back on the way up since you're just copying what you did on the way down. But when you begin the movement on the bottom of the rep, you don't have the mental ability nor the feel of being able to copy that downward movement, so when you raise the bar up, there's nothing that you have to make a mental copy of. To put it another way...there's no groove for you to follow on the way up that would've otherwise been established on your way down.

So due to what I've explained above^ I find it more difficult to keep proper form if I begin at the bottom of the rep.
That's the entire point of the squat. It's harder to keep form, because it's a harder variation. This is why you use less weight. However this is more a strength based exercise to begin with.

Thank you. Thats what I was saying. You're set up better for the Anderson/pin squat if you set up for it this way.

Shit I'm doing them now. The dead stop helps with explosiveness, especially on a light day.

a lot of guys cant squat because of injuries. i haven't squatted in 15 years my wheels are still pretty impressive.
prob would be bigger if i back squatted . but not worth the risk for me . i do hacks though

Get Shredded!
https://youtu.be/uJOofVIsplA

This is what I was trying to say.

Forgot about dudes breathing technique lol.

Yep. You can def do them that way too. Just as effective. Like they blast on guys that deadlift and start from the top. If they are working out with over 500 lbs., who cares.... lol? Evan Centopani comes to mind. Poor luck for him, torn quad...:(.

Yep. You can def do them that way too. Just as effective. Like they blast on guys that deadlift and start from the top. If they are working out with over 500 lbs., who cares.... lol? Evan Centopani comes to mind. Poor luck for him, torn quad...:(.

I like watching his Animal videos. He has some awesome recipes.

Look at the guy's terrible sloppy form in this video above^. This is an injury waiting to happen, and is the exact same thing I was describing in post #14. Sure the dude is using some very impressive weight and he has some tree trunks for legs, so he's obviously no slouch. But look at his form. Especially by the 3rd rep, you can see his butt raising up in the beginning of the movement way before his shoulders begin to rise. This is not even a compound squat movement anymore!!! In this video the bottom 30% of every repetition is practically a hybrid leg press movement using almost all leg power alone, and then by the midway point the guy has to compensate for that by turning the movement into a half-azzed hybrid back hyper extension movement in order to get his shoulders to play catch-up with his butt which is way ahead of the shoulders. This is terrible form!!!! I don't care how strong the guy is, he has turned the barbell squat into an abortion!!! Now the video shown before this one, ( earlier in the thread) shows a guy who isn't as sloppy, (although still not perfect) but he also using much less weight than this guy is.

Here's a good example:

In this video the guy's form isn't nearly as bad as in the other vid, but like i said, he's also handling much less weight. My point in post #14 was ( and still is ) it's much more difficult to handle your maximum working weight and still adhere to proper exercise form when you're beginning the barbell squat from the bottom, and you might be setting yourself up for injuries down the road by using this method of barbell squats. I dunno, maybe many guys using 600+ LBS for barbell squats have terrible form like that. Maybe I never noticed it before. But although I never handled that much weight, I worked out with a buddy of mine from work who did handle 495 LBS for reps in the standard type barbell squat, and he had perfect form.

Last edited:
Look at the guy's terrible sloppy form in this video above^. This is an injury waiting to happen, and is the exact same thing I was describing in post #14. Sure the dude is using some very impressive weight and he has some tree trunks for legs, so he's obviously no slouch. But look at his form. Especially by the 3rd rep, you can see his butt raising up in the beginning of the movement way before his shoulders begin to rise. This is not even a compound squat movement anymore!!! In this video the bottom 30% of every repetition is practically a hybrid leg press movement using almost all leg power alone, and then by the midway point the guy has to compensate for that by turning the movement into a half-azzed hybrid back hyper extension movement in order to get his shoulders to play catch-up with his butt which is way ahead of the shoulders. This is terrible form!!!! I don't care how strong the guy is, he has turned the barbell squat into an abortion!!! Now the video shown before this one, ( earlier in the thread) shows a guy who isn't as sloppy, (although still not perfect) but he also using much less weight than this guy is.

In this video the guy's form isn't nearly as bad as in the other vid, but like i said, he's also handling much less weight. My point in post #14 was ( and still is ) it's much more difficult to handle your maximum working weight and still adhere to proper exercise form when you're beginning the barbell squat from the bottom, and you might be setting yourself up for injuries down the road by using this method of barbell squats. I dunno, maybe many guys using 600+ LBS for barbell squats have terrible form like that. Maybe I never noticed it before. But although I never handled that much weight, I worked out with a buddy of mine from work who did handle 495 LBS for reps in the standard type barbell squat, and he had perfect form.

Was that first gut LOCKING his legs when he came up? I heard that can fuck you up later too..looked like he locked em then leaned forward WHILE they were locked out shit

Here's a good example:

Was that first gut LOCKING his legs when he came up? I heard that can fuck you up later too..looked like he locked em then leaned forward WHILE they were locked out shit

All I can add is I've never been into power lifting, so there might be a whole lot about power lifting training that I'm not aware of. But as far as using barbell squats for a BBer like yourself or like myself goes, the barbell squats being performed like the ones in the video, have a bigger potential to cause injury IMO, at least for the BBer anyway. I would tend to think that this increased injury potential would also apply for the power lifter as well, but I'm trying to give this method the benefit of the doubt as far as power lifting goes, since I don't have any experience as a power lifter.

All I can add is I've never been into power lifting, so there might be a whole lot about power lifting training that I'm not aware of. But as far as using barbell squats for a BBer like yourself or like myself goes, the barbell squats being performed like the ones in the video, have a bigger potential to cause injury IMO, at least for the BBer anyway. I would tend to think that this increased injury potential would also apply for the power lifter as well, but I'm trying to give this method the benefit of the doubt as far as power lifting goes, since I don't have any experience as a power lifter.

Just to give some perspective, that guy was training for IPF worlds. His name is Mike Tuscherer. He's a world class powerlifter, which is why he was going so heavy. He was also beltless.

He was on point with all of his cues. Intra abdominal pressure, lats tight, glutes contracted, etc. So I disagree with you there,
I don't think it's as bad as you made it out to be. I will agree that forward lean was present on reps 3 and 4, but his back was straight. Definitely not "horrible."

I will agree for a bodybuilder there would be no point in pushing to go that heavy relative to your individual max.

Last edited:
Just to give some perspective, that guy was training for IPF worlds. His name is Mike Tuscherer. He's a world class powerlifter, which is why he was going so heavy. He was also beltless.

He was on point with all of his cues. Intra abdominal pressure, lats tight, glutes contracted, etc. So I disagree with you there,
I don't think it's as bad as you made it out to be. I will agree that forward lean was present on reps 3 and 4, but his back was straight. Definitely not "horrible."

I will agree for a bodybuilder there would be no point in pushing to go that heavy relative to your individual max.
Since I've never personally approached a weight as massive as that nor anything close to it, I can only imagine that with serious poundages like he is handling there, you have to lean forward a little more just to avoid having the bar slide right off your back, so I can appreciate that. But I don't see why that should indicate any need for upward movement of the legs and the azz ro begin first before the upper body moves upward. Just looks dangerous to me despite the very impressive poundage the guy obviously handles.

But again, let me focus on my main point that perhaps this is an ideal way for a power lifter to train for squats, ( I dunno, not my thing) but I see no advantage for a BBer to train legs like that. But it's ok if you disagree. I'll just say that I would stay away from that execution of the barbell squat for BBing. Just my personal viewpoint.

Since I've never personally approached a weight as massive as that nor anything close to it, I can only imagine that with serious poundages like he is handling there, you have to lean forward a little more just to avoid having the bar slide right off your back, so I can appreciate that. But I don't see why that should indicate any need for upward movement of the legs and the azz ro begin first before the upper body moves upward. Just looks dangerous to me despite the very impressive poundage the guy obviously handles.

But again, let me focus on my main point that perhaps this is an ideal way for a power lifter to train for squats, ( I dunno, not my thing) but I see no advantage for a BBer to train legs like that. But it's ok if you disagree. I'll just say that I would stay away from that execution of the barbell squat for BBing. Just my personal viewpoint.

I agree there. Lifting with that form over and over again would be detrimental to a bodybuilder.

There is a time and a place for everything, and in the video it was for going balls to the wall to complete the set.

I was originally just posting that video to demonstrate how I squat down to the pins, instead of starting at the pins.

I agree there. Lifting with that form over and over again would be detrimental to a bodybuilder.

There is a time and a place for everything, and in the video it was for going balls to the wall to complete the set.

I was originally just posting that video to demonstrate how I squat down to the pins, instead of starting at the pins.
Fair enough my friend

Back