• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Soft-Tissue Complaint?

Titan5011

Always Hungry
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Got a nagging or chronic injury you've had for a while or just recently experienced?

Post-up up what's wrong with as descriptive as detail as possible, and what you were doing leading up to the injury itself, and I will do my best to help you rehabilitate, and also hopefully prevent it from happening again.

This should also motivate me to update my other mobility thread as well, but I'm going to go with a more direct approach this time.

It doesn't even have to be an "injury", if something hurts while you're working out, let me know. Don't wait until it becomes an injury to do something about it.

I have nagging pain in my right upper back area, where the scapula is. I feel like my scapula is digging into my back on the right side. I can't do pulling movements because it will start to hurt. Also when this started I began having a lot of neck tension leaning left or right. What I have done so far is warm up with bands doing rows and also icing it, that's about it. I am not sure what's causing it, but it's annoying.

I have nagging pain in my right upper back area, where the scapula is. I feel like my scapula is digging into my back on the right side. I can't do pulling movements because it will start to hurt. Also when this started I began having a lot of neck tension leaning left or right. What I have done so far is warm up with bands doing rows and also icing it, that's about it. I am not sure what's causing it, but it's annoying.
I have the same but it kind of feels like a searing pain in my left side. Bothers me really bad when doing back and shoulders. Seems like when I get pumped is the worst.

I also have tennis elbow in my left side. Been trying self art but I just can't do it like someone else could. Of course I don't have the dough to see someone that practices it either

I used to get the same type of pain. It was right along the inside vertical edge of my left scapula, ( AKA "shoulder blade"). It would sometimes last for months and the pain was often accompanied by neck pain on the same side. One day I decided to go to a chiropractor for this nagging problem...

When he had me face down on the chiropractic table, he began digging his finger tips real hard into that area of my back between my upper spine and the inside edge of my left shoulder blade, ( in the Trapezius muscle which as I'm sure that you know is shaped like a kite) and he stopped and squeezed a small chunk of flesh between his thumb and index finger. I was wondering what the heck the guy was doing, and then he said to me: "Do you feel that?" as he held a marble sized round chunk of flesh between his thumb and index finger, (which was actually a piece of my Trapezius muscle)...

.... I said..."yeah I feel that...what is that?".... He said..."That's a muscle spasm"..."one that you've probably had for a long time".."It has knotted up your muscle like a small tight marble.".....he continued to squeeze it and then he began to massage it very hard as if though he was kneeding a clump of dough with his finger tips.

What he did that day began the healing process, but it made me aware of how much pain a muscle spasm can cause, and how long a muscle spasm can last for, (months in some cases). Since then, I've done the following several things to prevent that from occuring again, and I've been successful in avoiding it...

#1. I developed a specific stretch for the Trapezius muscle which I usually perform daily: in a standing position, I bring my elbows together as close as i can get them to touch each other, with my arms bent in a 90 degree angle with my palms facing my forehead, ( kind of like being in the Mohaamad Ali "Rope-A-dope" position).. I do this while also looking downward with my chin tucked into my chest and I hold it there for 30 seconds while breathing normally and in a relaxed manner. If you think of the Trapezius muscle as a four pointed kite shaped piece of meat, which by the way runs in between your shoulder blades and attaches at the top point to the bottom of your neck, you will understand how this stretch movement that I perform can and does expand and spread out this muscle in all directions simultaneously.

Performing this stretch on a daily basis will help to prevent any portion of the trapezius muscle from knotting up into a muscle spasm, as well as help to flatten out and relax any existing spasms that you might currently have in that muscle.

#2. I perform bent over barbell rows which have also helped to keep my trapezius muscle healthy, while at the same time, I have eliminated dumbell shoulder shrugs which I used to do, and which seemed to worsen the condition.

#3. With a narrow grip, ( about shoulder width) I hang from a chin-up bar with my arms straight and my elbows locked out for atleast ten seconds, twice per week, using my own body weight to stretch and spread out out my upper vertibrae. I do not hold my breath while doing this. I breath normally, and I often hear some cracking going on in my upper spinal area while I hang from the bar, and it actually feels good both during and after. I've been doing these three things for a year now, and I've never had a re-occurrence of that pain between my shoulder blades since the second week in.

Last edited:
I used to get the same type of pain. It was right along the inside vertical edge of my left scapula, ( AKA "shoulder blade"). It would sometimes last for months and the pain was often accompanied by neck pain on the same side. One day I decided to go to a chiropractor for this nagging problem...

When he had me face down on the chiropractic table, he began digging his finger tips real hard into that area of my back between my upper spine and the inside edge of my left shoulder blade, ( in the Trapezius muscle which as I'm sure that you know is shaped like a kite) and he stopped and squeezed a small chunk of flesh between his thumb and index finger. I was wondering what the heck the guy was doing, and then he said to me: "Do you feel that?" as he held a marble sized round chunk of flesh between his thumb and index finger, (which was actually a piece of my Trapezius muscle)...

.... I said..."yeah I feel that...what is that?".... He said..."That's a muscle spasm"..."one that you've probably had for a long time".."It has knotted up your muscle like a small tight marble.".....he continued to squeeze it and then he began to massage it very hard as if though he was kneeding a clump of dough with his finger tips.

What he did that day began the healing process, but it made me aware of how much pain a muscle spasm can cause, and how long a muscle spasm can last for, (months in some cases). Since then, I've done the following several things to prevent that from occuring again, and I've been successful in avoiding it...

#1. I developed a specific stretch for the Trapezius muscle which I usually perform daily: in a standing position, I bring my elbows together as close as i can get them to touch each other, with my arms bent in a 90 degree angle with my palms facing my forehead, ( kind of like being in the Mohaamad Ali "Rope-A-dope" position).. I do this while also looking downward with my chin tucked into my chest and I hold it there for 30 seconds while breathing normally and in a relaxed manner. If you think of the Trapezius muscle as a four pointed kite shaped piece of meat, which by the way runs in between your shoulder blades and attaches at the top point to the bottom of your neck, you will understand how this stretch movement that I perform can and does expand and spread out this muscle in all directions simultaneously.

Performing this stretch on a daily basis will help to prevent any portion of the trapezius muscle from knotting up into a muscle spasm, as well as help to flatten out and relax any existing spasms that you might currently have in that muscle.

#2. I perform bent over barbell rows which have also helped to keep my trapezius muscle healthy, while at the same time, I have eliminated dumbell shoulder shrugs which I used to do, and which seemed to worsen the condition.

#3. With a narrow grip, ( about shoulder width) I hang from a chin-up bar with my arms straight and my elbows locked out for atleast ten seconds, twice per week, using my own body weight to stretch and spread out out my upper vertibrae. I do not hold my breath while doing this. I breath normally, and I often hear some cracking going on in my upper spinal area while I hang from the bar, and it actually feels good both during and after. I've been doing these three things for a year now, and I've never had a re-occurrence of that pain between my shoulder blades since the second week in.

That's great advice brother. I'll start doing those stretches. Thank you.

96913f8f4634c0cbd4d9a6eb8500f126.jpg

I dropped a 25lb plate on my foot last week. It's not broken or fractured thank god. Soft tissue injury that hurts like a mofo. I was working out in flip flops at a buddy's home gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's great advice brother. I'll start doing those stretches. Thank you.

As well I. Thank you! That thing has been killing me
You're welcome guys. Both of you have helped to answer a number of my questions in the recent past, so I'm glad to be able to help the both of you out in some way. I hope those stretches work as good for you as they have for me. I guess one of the only advantages to being older than most of you are here, is that because I've had to find ways on my own to overcome injuries over the years when doctors weren't of much help, I can occassionally pass on to someone else what has worked for me to remedy some nagging persistent pains. I hope that Titan didn't mind me jumping in here on the thread that he started.

Your shoulder blade is having problems sliding across your rib-cage. This is very common actually, as a lot of people have bad Thoracic spine mobility. What we need to do is work on that, as already mentioned. What the Chiro was doing to Tall Deck, is a form of A.R.T. Active Release Therapy. This works amazingly for soft-tissue problems. Only one problem, it's hard to do it to yourself in certain positions.

There are two things I would like you to do for a few days which in return should make an immediate difference.

First is to get your hands on a lacrosse ball or some other object which has a small amount of give, but not a whole lot, and place it on the ground and lay your back on it. Open up your scapula, and find a sensitive spot with the ball and just lay on it for a few minutes. The pain can range from bad, to excruciating. If you feel the pain radiate up to your neck then bingo, you found something causing a lot of problem.

Here's also two very easy to do stretches to help with t-spine mobility that I believe would benefit you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TTKsMNuzXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvn0pXfdvQ

I have the same but it kind of feels like a searing pain in my left side. Bothers me really bad when doing back and shoulders. Seems like when I get pumped is the worst.

I also have tennis elbow in my left side. Been trying self art but I just can't do it like someone else could. Of course I don't have the dough to see someone that practices it either
My reply to his about the scapula problem would work for you as well. As for your tennis elbow, take a curling bar, (any lighter bar will do, just not sure if you're ready to handle a 45lb barbell yet) and lay your arm on a bench, not take the bar and place it on your forearm, and slowly roll it up and down your arm while rocking it back and forth and find a very painful, sensitive spot. Once you find it just let the bar sit on it. Do this for about a week. It should entirely relieve you of your tennis elbow. Now to keep it from coming back, start incorporating more hammer curls and grip exercises. Weak forearms are a huge reason for elbow tendinitis. Both Tennis and Golfers elbow.

IML Gear Cream!
96913f8f4634c0cbd4d9a6eb8500f126.jpg

I dropped a 25lb plate on my foot last week. It's not broken or fractured thank god. Soft tissue injury that hurts like a mofo. I was working out in flip flops at a buddy's home gym.

This one is a bit more tricky as the spot it is in is nothing be bone and ligaments lol. Best this to do here is to add some heat to your foot and rock your foot back and forth as much as possible while you're relaxing. If you can curl your toes then while rocking, squeeze your toes a bit, but don't if it comes with too much pain.

This will force more blood to the area and aid in healing time as well as cause the lymphatic system to do it's job better by removing the waste fluid that's causing the inflammation.

This is under the assumption you know it's not broken. As that's no longer a soft tissue injury.

This one is a bit more tricky as the spot it is in is nothing be bone and ligaments lol. Best this to do here is to add some heat to your foot and rock your foot back and forth as much as possible while you're relaxing. If you can curl your toes then while rocking, squeeze your toes a bit, but don't if it comes with too much pain.

This will force more blood to the area and aid in healing time as well as cause the lymphatic system to do it's job better by removing the waste fluid that's causing the inflammation.

This is under the assumption you know it's not broken. As that's no longer a soft tissue injury.

Thanks my brother! I'm going to try those toe curl exercises to get more blood flowing in that area. I went and had a X-ray done so I know it's not broken 100%. I even managed a leg workout earlier without to much pain. I got lucky this time.

My reply to his about the scapula problem would work for you as well. As for your tennis elbow, take a curling bar, (any lighter bar will do, just not sure if you're ready to handle a 45lb barbell yet) and lay your arm on a bench, not take the bar and place it on your forearm, and slowly roll it up and down your arm while rocking it back and forth and find a very painful, sensitive spot. Once you find it just let the bar sit on it. Do this for about a week. It should entirely relieve you of your tennis elbow. Now to keep it from coming back, start incorporating more hammer curls and grip exercises. Weak forearms are a huge reason for elbow tendinitis. Both Tennis and Golfers elbow.

Interesting, I thought working them out was actually a cause of those injuries. Do you recommend auxiliary work on them for tendinitis prevention?

Great advice! When you do that trapezius stretch do you maintain a strictly straight neck and tilt you head down to bring the chin to the top of the chest, or bend the neck too putting your chain further down the sternum? Already I can feel the area loosening up after trying it.

Hanging stretches from a chin up bar is a habit I've had for a LONG time and I never was taught -- just spontaneously started doing it to make all the muscles and joints feel better. Hang with head back and behind the arms, let everything stretch out a while, twist hips left and right a bit, bring up legs a few times till lower back feels good. Then put head in front of arms and do the same stuff with a different effect on upper spine. Let go one hand and hang for a bit, then twist to the opposite side -- right hand means turn 90º to the left -- and push, causing a major stretch of lats on that side... same deal for other side. I think all that has helped me avoid a lot of injuries. I'll do them between sets if I'm bored or waiting for a machine.

Thanks brother! I'll try this as well.

Great advice! When you do that trapezius stretch do you maintain a strictly straight neck and tilt you head down to bring the chin to the top of the chest, or bend the neck too putting your chain further down the sternum? Already I can feel the area loosening up after trying it.

Hanging stretches from a chin up bar is a habit I've had for a LONG time and I never was taught -- just spontaneously started doing it to make all the muscles and joints feel better. Hang with head back and behind the arms, let everything stretch out a while, twist hips left and right a bit, bring up legs a few times till lower back feels good. Then put head in front of arms and do the same stuff with a different effect on upper spine. Let go one hand and hang for a bit, then twist to the opposite side -- right hand means turn 90º to the left -- and push, causing a major stretch of lats on that side... same deal for other side. I think all that has helped me avoid a lot of injuries. I'll do them between sets if I'm bored or waiting for a machine.
Choco, that was a good question about the Trap stretch concerning the neck and chin positions. I had to think about that for a minute, and then finally do the stretch to know the answer to your question. I do crane the neck forward/downward so that my chin touches my chest further down the sternum. What I also do during this Trap stretch is use the Lat muscles to draw the shoulders downward which further stretches the Trap muscle.

I might try those extensive angles and positions that you employ with the chin-up bar hang. I can't go too nuts with that one though because my elbows aren't as robust as they used to be, and if i hang on the bar too long, sometimes it can cause me some elbow pain. When that does happen, then I know I have to give the chin-up bar thang a break and focus more on the other Trap stretch.

Threads like this is why I became a board member :winkfinger:

thanks for your contribution brother.

Interesting, I thought working them out was actually a cause of those injuries. Do you recommend auxiliary work on them for tendinitis prevention?
Tendinitis and tendinosis are an "over-use" injury more than anything. If you build up the tendons to handle more load, the constant hammering we do to them during workouts have less affect. Similar to people with osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. If you squat more often, your knee tendons become thicker and harder to injure. It's the same concept. Also the same goes for degenerative back disease, if you dead-lift (properly) you build up the tissue surrounding the spine, so the spine itself has to handle less load. And because you're constantly stimulating the tissue, it entirely prevents the disease.

Tendinitis and tendinosis are an "over-use" injury more than anything. If you build up the tendons to handle more load, the constant hammering we do to them during workouts have less affect. Similar to people with osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. If you squat more often, your knee tendons become thicker and harder to injure. It's the same concept. Also the same goes for degenerative back disease, if you dead-lift (properly) you build up the tissue surrounding the spine, so the spine itself has to handle less load. And because you're constantly stimulating the tissue, it entirely prevents the disease.

Makes sense. Regular bouts of constructive exercise from various angles is the answer. Use it or lose it.

Reminds me of the usual crop of deaths we see every winter in the first big snowstorm when a small army of men aged 40+ take a break from their normal routines of chips, beer, and tv to go out and shovel the walk... and have fatal heart attacks. No breezes for years then suddenly a big wind and the delicate tree snaps.

Similar deal with astronauts. The first generation that spent any time in space, e.g. Skylab, would lose so much muscle and bone mass in the months of weightlessness that upon landing and exiting their capsule they'd be rolled away in a wheelchair. These guys were in rugged, tip top shape on blast off but came back crippled due to the lack of continual forces that gravity exerts on us even just walking around or rolling over in our sleep. These days the guys in space spend hours a day doing vigorous exercise in stretch band contraptions and still they come back more frail than they left.

I need to add my forearm and grip work back into the routine but it's so... tedious and dull. Hard to remember or stick with.

Makes sense. Regular bouts of constructive exercise from various angles is the answer. Use it or lose it.

Reminds me of the usual crop of deaths we see every winter in the first big snowstorm when a small army of men aged 40+ take a break from their normal routines of chips, beer, and tv to go out and shovel the walk... and have fatal heart attacks. No breezes for years then suddenly a big wind and the delicate tree snaps.

Similar deal with astronauts. The first generation that spent any time in space, e.g. Skylab, would lose so much muscle and bone mass in the months of weightlessness that upon landing and exiting their capsule they'd be rolled away in a wheelchair. These guys were in rugged, tip top shape on blast off but came back crippled due to the lack of continual forces that gravity exerts on us even just walking around or rolling over in our sleep. These days the guys in space spend hours a day doing vigorous exercise in stretch band contraptions and still they come back more frail than they left.

I need to add my forearm and grip work back into the routine but it's so... tedious and dull. Hard to remember or stick with.

I use Farmer Walks. Can easily be used as a substitute for cardio/HIIT/endurance/core work. Good at the end of a workout.

Going to keep bumping this for any whose interested.

I feel like my leg is going to explode every time I stand up from sitting. Then the pain goes away until I sit and get back up. Is this a muscle tear or something worse?

I feel like my leg is going to explode every time I stand up from sitting. Then the pain goes away until I sit and get back up. Is this a muscle tear or something worse?

I need more specifics. Which part of the leg? Any swelling? Did this randomly start or did you do something to hurt it? What type of pain?

Lol I hurt bad in the butt but no argument led to this.

I was squatting about 6 weeks ago and my back started hurting. Bad pin right lower back. That went away and now my leg feels like a throbbing nightmare when I stand from sitting or laying. When I lay down I have pain right around the outside of my knee down to my ankle. When I stand up from being static the pain feels like it comes from inside my hip on the right side and radiates down to my knee.

Titan i do mobility work multiple times a week and have 2 dedicated days of it during my "off or liss" days. I recently came off a 6 wk run of ment. I put on close to 20lbs in the 6 wks. I stayed pretty dry, and got leaner as well. E2 was in the low 20s @25mg aromasin/ed. I put size on really quick and increased weight/rep/set ability even faster. It, however, smoked the connective tissue in both elbows inside and outside tricep at elbows and top of the outside forearm at elbows. I've done standard mobility and mashing on the muscles and tendons from wrist to shoulder. At this point I'm considering needling or something. It no longer hurts throughout the day, but a few reps with load and it's throbbing terribly. Any insight? I will definitely run ment again, but i think do to the rapid strength and size i put on I'll probably run it at closer to maintenance cals (more similar to recomping).

Lol I hurt bad in the butt but no argument led to this.

I was squatting about 6 weeks ago and my back started hurting. Bad pin right lower back. That went away and now my leg feels like a throbbing nightmare when I stand from sitting or laying. When I lay down I have pain right around the outside of my knee down to my ankle. When I stand up from being static the pain feels like it comes from inside my hip on the right side and radiates down to my knee.
Radiating pain is almost always because of a nerve. Especially if the the radiating pain is not one specific type of pain.

What you're describing sounds almost exactly like a form of sciatica. Starts in the low back of to the side, and radiates itself down the leg.

Two things I'd like for you to do:

First is the seated piriformis stretch. Take a seat, and sit tall, keep spine straight. Plant one leg firmly on the ground and cross the other leg over the top of the knee. Slowly lean forward while gently pressing down on the knee of the crossed leg.
You should feel the stretch in the side of your hip easily. It will probably be painful, just take deep breaths and reach several times. Do this several times a day.
View attachment 25055

Second, take a hard ball, like a baseball, or something firm. Doesn't matter what, just of adequate size, even the side of a small dumbbell will work.
Take the area where you inject into your VG, the meaty part, and lay directly on whatever it is you have on the floor on that area. Same thing, as often as you can, as frequently as you can. This will mostly be very uncomfortable.
Also do the exact same thing, to the entirely of your glutes. Move around, find a sensitive spot and just dig into it for a while. You'll know if you find the tense area. You'll probably jump.

Titan i do mobility work multiple times a week and have 2 dedicated days of it during my "off or liss" days. I recently came off a 6 wk run of ment. I put on close to 20lbs in the 6 wks. I stayed pretty dry, and got leaner as well. E2 was in the low 20s @25mg aromasin/ed. I put size on really quick and increased weight/rep/set ability even faster. It, however, smoked the connective tissue in both elbows inside and outside tricep at elbows and top of the outside forearm at elbows. I've done standard mobility and mashing on the muscles and tendons from wrist to shoulder. At this point I'm considering needling or something. It no longer hurts throughout the day, but a few reps with load and it's throbbing terribly. Any insight? I will definitely run ment again, but i think do to the rapid strength and size i put on I'll probably run it at closer to maintenance cals (more similar to recomping).
This is usually the problem that comes with strength and size coming too quickly, the tendons can't keep up. Mashing is definitely the right idea here, but you need to give the tendons some time to catch back up. Lay off anything that aggravates it for about a week. Take a deload. Keep mashing, however find something to mash more precisely with. Something smaller, and harder and dig around for sensitive spots and just hang on out it for a while.

You have to keep in mind mashing breaks up the tissue in a similar fashion that working out breaks down the tissue. It takes time for it to recover from the mashing. Keep up what you're doing, add heat this time around for the week. As you start getting back into your workouts, warm-up with light curls with a slow twisting motion, and start doing some grip work. The stronger the forearms, the less work the elbow tendons have to do.

Back