• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Sugar 9x more addicting than cocaine

macedog24

PSL Rep
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
PLoS One.*2007 Aug 1;2(8):e698.

Intense sweetness surpasses cocaine reward.

Lenoir M1,*Serre F,*Cantin L,*Ahmed SH.

Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Refined sugars (e.g., sucrose, fructose) were absent in the diet of most people until very recently in human history. Today overconsumption of diets rich in sugars contributes together with other factors to drive the current obesity epidemic. Overconsumption of sugar-dense foods or beverages is initially motivated by the pleasure of sweet taste and is often compared to drug addiction. Though there are many biological commonalities between sweetened diets and drugs of abuse, the addictive potential of the former relative to the latter is currently unknown.

METHODOLOGY/PRINCIPAL FINDINGS:

Here we report that when rats were allowed to choose mutually-exclusively between water sweetened with saccharin-an intense calorie-free sweetener-and intravenous cocaine-a highly addictive and harmful substance-the large majority of animals (94%) preferred the sweet taste of saccharin. The preference for saccharin was not attributable to its unnatural ability to induce sweetness without calories because the same preference was also observed with sucrose, a natural sugar. Finally, the preference for saccharin was not surmountable by increasing doses of cocaine and was observed despite either cocaine intoxication, sensitization or intake escalation-the latter being a hallmark of drug addiction.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our findings clearly demonstrate that intense sweetness can surpass cocaine reward, even in drug-sensitized and -addicted individuals. We speculate that the addictive potential of intense sweetness results from an inborn hypersensitivity to sweet tastants. In most mammals, including rats and humans, sweet receptors evolved in ancestral environments poor in sugars and are thus not adapted to high concentrations of sweet tastants. The supranormal stimulation of these receptors by sugar-rich diets, such as those now widely available in modern societies, would generate a supranormal reward signal in the brain, with the potential to override self-control mechanisms and thus to lead to addiction.

PMID:*17668074*PMCID:*PMC1931610*DOI:*10.1371/journal.pone.0000698

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]*Free PMC Article

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on Google+

ce4c30ad5d1d7dc8616c0c47eab5b40f.jpg
087e65bb5dca268893a428dd82fb47b7.jpg
6eb511cb220b6eb6865eec9302abdd6d.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

18c29a87a18c2d0733e4346c63d79257.jpg
1715c8ddd5323e7acf42db948f895f5b.jpg
b77fa37dbce89f890950361f313dbc67.jpg

Format:*Abstract

Send to

Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care.*2013 Jul;16(4):434-9. doi: 10.1097/MCO.0b013e328361c8b8.

Sugar addiction: pushing the drug-sugar analogy to the limit.

Ahmed SH1,*Guillem K,*Vandaele Y.

Author information

Abstract

PURPOSE OF REVIEW:

To review research that tests the validity of the analogy between addictive drugs, like cocaine, and hyperpalatable foods, notably those high in added sugar (i.e., sucrose).

RECENT FINDINGS:

Available evidence in humans shows that sugar and sweetness can induce reward and craving that are comparable in magnitude to those induced by addictive drugs. Although this evidence is limited by the inherent difficulty of comparing different types of rewards and psychological experiences in humans, it is nevertheless supported by recent experimental research on sugar and sweet reward in laboratory rats. Overall, this research has revealed that sugar and sweet reward can not only substitute to addictive drugs, like cocaine, but can even be more rewarding and attractive. At the neurobiological level, the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward appear to be more robust than those of cocaine (i.e., more resistant to functional failures), possibly reflecting past selective evolutionary pressures for seeking and taking foods high in sugar and calories.

SUMMARY:

The biological robustness in the neural substrates of sugar and sweet reward may be sufficient to explain why many people can have difficultly to control the consumption of foods high in sugar when continuously exposed to them.

PMID:*23719144*DOI:*10.1097/MCO.0b013e328361c8b8

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE

Every time I have tried coke(4-5 times over 4-5 years) I woke up feeling like I got hit by a train! I certainly wasnt trying to get more.

Sugar on the other hand... I have a little then a little more then a little more and it never stops!

I've never tried coke but I love me some sugar

I think this is flawed because I have never met anyone who would suck a dick for some sugar but if they are out there send her my way.

I think this is flawed because I have never met anyone who would suck a dick for some sugar but if they are out there send her my way.

Plenty of women in third world countries will..

now what if the dick was candy coated.

IML Gear Cream!
Lol I'd disagree with that. I almost lost a house because of coke and alcohol. Sugar has never done that

fishscale. days.... times where different then. people where different also. the world seemed like a better place.....

I wish I would have known that sugar was more addictive. Could have saved me $40,000 in rehab charges 10 yrs ago. I would have been eating M&M's instead of blowing off lines.

I wish I would have known that sugar was more addictive. Could have saved me $40,000 in rehab charges 10 yrs ago. I would have been eating M&M's instead of blowing off lines.

But then suddenly you find yourself in Weight Watchers meetings, or off to the fat farm, or on the Biggest Loser. Is that better than rehab? Hard to say.

Back