• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Tennis Elbow

GarlicChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Anyone here deal with tennis elbow? I got it to bad from doing chest the other day and it's killing my training. Been icing it and got a pressure band thing for it but it's barely helping. Anyone have any suggestions?

Make sure it's not anything more serious & rest it for a week , if it still hurts rest it another week . Seems like a long time but I thought I had tennis elbow 2 summers ago & thought I would just tough it out , I tore my triceps tendon in right arm while hitting a double with 415 . I was out for 4 months & then super light lifting for another 3 months . So better safe than sorry go get that checked out & take it easy till you know for sure .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I get soccer elbow

Make sure it's not anything more serious & rest it for a week , if it still hurts rest it another week . Seems like a long time but I thought I had tennis elbow 2 summers ago & thought I would just tough it out , I tore my triceps tendon in right arm while hitting a double with 415 . I was out for 4 months & then super light lifting for another 3 months . So better safe than sorry go get that checked out & take it easy till you know for sure .

Gotcha. Yeah I actually had a doctor I do some work for check it today and he confirmed it was tennis elbow. Guess I'll take time off upper body and just do legs a couple times. Thanks man

Also you can try using some mauy thai linament oil. Once you get a little sweat going & your pores open up , that stuff works wonders,

bicep tendon pinched in the rotator cuff or upper back...get some ART....it works...
ART ? I'm racking my dam brain here , lol , help me

bicep tendon pinched in the rotator cuff or upper back...get some ART....it works...
What's funny is I have something that keeps pinching in that same shoulder. It's in my back, right at the top corner of my shoulder blade. It helps a little when my girl does skin rolling over it. You think that could be the real problem?

ART ? I'm racking my dam brain here , lol , help me

Active release techniques. I don't know much about it. Sucks because I don't have the dough to spend on it.

IML Gear Cream!
Active release techniques. I don't know much about it. Sucks because I don't have the dough to spend on it.
Got it , kind of like a mix between a massage & a chiropractor. I use a lot of techniques from the supple leopard for mobility that seems to help me with joint issues, also alot of good stuff from Louie Simmons of westside barbell. Good luck with it bro & remember it's a marathon, not a sprint .

if the pain extends into the shoulder area, then it might have to do with what orthopeadic surgeons refer to as "shoulder impingement", which is often caused by certain movements/exercises. To avoid shoulder impingement, there are three exercises that you should avoid completely:

#1. Front dumbell laterals. Side and rear laterals are fine, but not front laterals. For front deltoid development, you're better off sticking with bench press, and military presses.

#2. Upright barbell rows. Avoid these also.

#3. The butterfly stroke in the swimming pool. Another very bad movement for long term shoulder health.

As far as the elbow pain itself, you might also check your exercise selection. If for instance you perform preacher curls (AKA Scott curls) be very careful not to move quickly or bounce at the bottom of the movement when your arms are straight and your elbows locked out. Bouncing or moving too fast at the beginning of the rep can cause elbow tendon damage big time due to hyper-extending the elbow tendons. One movement that tends to hurt my elbows are standing french curls (done for the triceps). I have to avoid those.

Got it , kind of like a mix between a massage & a chiropractor. I use a lot of techniques from the supple leopard for mobility that seems to help me with joint issues, also alot of good stuff from Louie Simmons of westside barbell. Good luck with it bro & remember it's a marathon, not a sprint .

That book will cover 90% of all your problems. You should follow his daily program in the back of the book so that you always have full ROM.

ice and anti-inflammatories shut down healing and do the exact opposite of what you are wanting to accomplish, so your first step is to stop the bullshit R.I.C.E methodology pushed by modern medicine. One of the first things medical students learn (and in turn forget) is the basic healing process and how inflammation is a critical component. You crush inflammation you crush healing PERIOD! Of course there are times when inflammation can get out of control like allergic reactions constricting airways, but for an athlete that doesnt want to destroy their body its important to not hinder the process. A little time spend googling healing cascade will go a long way on educating folks on the healing process.

Start with band flossing, ART and the like to make sure the issue isnt caused by adhesion's and the like.

Assuming that ART, massage, band flossing etc, doesnt resolve the issue its likely you actually have tendon/ligament damage which is incredibly slow to heal. In order for it to heal you need to cause damage at a slower rate than your body can repair it. The largery the difference in damage to heal rate the faster you will heal.

First step, which really everyone can benefit from weather injured or not, is making sure you body has ample nutrients for repair. The most overlooked for collagent based tissue is vitamin C which is critical to collagen synthesis and something largely found in fruits which most athletes dont get a lot of due to the suger content. I always recommend people start with a low dose and slowly build until it causes intestinal discomfort then back off a bit. Multiple doses throughout the day works best. You really cant get too much vit C, ascorbic acid poder is a cheaper alternative to tablets and allows for more dosing options. Along with the vit C id recommend a couple grams of lysine and proline a day as well. Also very important to collagen synthesis.

Next I would recommend a treatment that ENCOURAGES the bodies own healing process by causing localized inflammation of the injured tendons/ligaments. I have found the most effective way to do this is prolotherapy. Next would be something like well-wave. Prolo isnt cheap and generally not covered by insurance but takes a lot fewer treatments than well-wave which is much cheaper per visit but takes more visits.

Awesome thank you guys for all the tips. I'll try active release and other myofacial release to see if it helps. I found a couple vials of GH sitting in my fridge so I started site injections with it as well just for shits and giggles. I also threw a little deca back in, it always used to help me recover from tendonitis.

I'm also laying off movements that irritate the area, so I'll be doing more legs, which isn't a bad thing

Yeah, stop using ice on it. Ice is outdated medical science. It slows down the healing process. Use heat instead. Heat forces blood flow, more blood flow equals faster healing. Inflammation is a good thing, stop trying to get rid of it and let it do its job.

Take something that you can dig into your forearm with(a golf-ball with lotion works well, but you can use anything that's a little bit hard.) and dig into the very sensitive spots as hard as you can bear for about a minute or more, two to three times a day for a week or 2. Your tendinitis will go away. Also don't forget to do it to the underside of your arm where the triceps connect to the elbow as well. Home-made ART.

After it goes away, start doing more grip strengthening exercises.

If you take your finger and press into your arm and poke around a few places and you find a spot that hurts like a bitch, that's a spot where you want to really dig into. You can do this to any area of your body. Tight tissue gets injured much more easily. Break that shit up. Just take a note and realize it is going to hurt.

Last edited:
I had actually just tried this after a long battle with a dry elbow. I was going to do acupressure but a powerlifting buddy told me about art.. He also warned me because it's not gentle by any means. It hurt like a son of gun when the finger all but disappeared into my elbow but it was like a load of bricks being pulled off of my arm. I still have a couple sessions but it made a world of difference for sure.

As an update, I started doing self-ART stuff. Pretty sure it's making it better. Quit the ice and switched to heat as well. Seems to be doing a lot better

As far as the elbow pain itself, you might also check your exercise selection. If for instance you perform preacher curls (AKA Scott curls) be very careful not to move quickly or bounce at the bottom of the movement when your arms are straight and your elbows locked out. Bouncing or moving too fast at the beginning of the rep can cause elbow tendon damage big time due to hyper-extending the elbow tendons. One movement that tends to hurt my elbows are standing french curls (done for the triceps). I have to avoid those.

Good info! I think mine is from preacher curls. Whats weird is hurts like shit until I lift again, but its fine while lifting.

Get Shredded!
Good info! I think mine is from preacher curls. Whats weird is hurts like shit until I lift again, but its fine while lifting.
Well if you suspect that it might be from the Preacher curls, it's probably better off if you stay away from them for a good length of time and do other curls instead and see if the tendon issue goes away after awhile. And if you did hyperextend the elbow tendons, it can be a serious injury as far as I know. But time is often the best true story teller

I actually hurt mine from pressing and doing a lot of chest volume one day. It's still bothering me, but not too bad at this point. I've been massaging the shit out of it constantly every day with my lacrosse ball. It hurts but it's working

I have had tennis elbow off and on for a while. I agree with Titan about digging in there even though it hurts like hell. Not sure if it's a placebo effect or not, but taking cissus supplements seem to help. I also rub it with a topical cream called Penetrex. When I get it, it seems to hurt on overhead triceps exercises the most. I can do dips and kickbacks with no issue, but skulls or overhead extensions kill.

I know you don't want to, but spend the money to go get art done. I had tennis elbow. It's so much better now after getting art done. It's not worth continueing to suffer with it.
Heres the only thing I'll warn you about, I went and saw one dr and saw him 5 times for art. Didn't help at all. Was a big waste of money. Decided to try again with another dr. After first visit it felt WAY better. Don't spend a bunch on a art dr if it's not feeling better after the first go around.
With the second dr that's helping I paid $120 for first visit with dr and $60 each follow up. (I've been 2 more times)
it was to the point that it was bothering me when I was trying to sleep, doesn't hardly bother me at all anymore

Yeah mine is starting to bother me again. It's getting like you say where it's effecting my sleep at night. I'm going to see if I can get art through the VA now. I'm going to see a local massage therapist really soon for my neck but I'm going to message my doc to see if she can get me in for my elbow at the same time. I'm pretty stoked that within the last month I can now get real physical therapy, active release, deep tissue, etc through the VA. Obviously things are changing quickly so I might actually be able to get some real relief for the problems I have

Yeah, stop using ice on it. Ice is outdated medical science. It slows down the healing process. Use heat instead. Heat forces blood flow, more blood flow equals faster healing. Inflammation is a good thing, stop trying to get rid of it and let it do its job.

Most people use ice/anti-inflammatories and shunt healing while they continue to workout and cause more damage putting themselves into a never-ending downward spiral. Google the healing cascade and do some reading, you will see inflammation is a key component to complete healing.

Next eliminate that the pain is caused by adhesions of tissue both up stream and downstream of the elbow. Use balls, ART, massage, floss bands or what have you. These take some time to see long lasting results but after just a session or two you should notice some benefit if they are the root of the problem.

My experience has been that lifters simply cause damage at a faster rate than the body can heal it. This is usually due to lack of nutrients used for the synthesis of collagen. Most people don't realize the whole process by and large beginning with Vitamin C, a nutrient that is greatly under-emphasized by the medical community and why cardiovascular disease is one of the worlds leading killers. Arteries are collagen based, just like skin, tendons, and ligamenst. Athletes often avoid fruits because of high suger content which often means they get less than even the paltry level most people get when it truth they need it more.

I have found most people do real well if they can get about 6 grams a day in divided doses, start low and build up it can cause stomach upset if you take too much at once or doses are too close together. Its generally short lived and vit C is basically nontoxic. I know many docs and people who take 200grams via IV on a regular basis. I would also add 1500mg of both lysine and proline as well. I have also found potassium bicarbonate ( I take about 2100mg a day) to be very beneficial for the aches/pains and for stamina.

Just a suggestion I am no expert but I had same problem for 9 months I used those voodoo floss wraps u can use other things that do same job but God damn those worked wonders it's hard to explain but if you read about them they are extremely helpful they saved my knee pain also I was dealing with since i over worked my legs when my elbow hurt I also started lots of stretching and was taking lots of vitamin c and other joint supps that helped for me good luck brother but deca worked best 😉

Last edited:
Yeah I gotta start treating this again. It's gotten really bad now. What's good though, I'm going to physical therapy twice a week for my neck and they're also going to treat this as well, especially since it's all a function of my neck problems. Had my first treatment today and it helped somewhat. My neck much more so, but it'll take a minute to work all the way down my arm

Yeah I gotta start treating this again. It's gotten really bad now. What's good though, I'm going to physical therapy twice a week for my neck and they're also going to treat this as well, especially since it's all a function of my neck problems. Had my first treatment today and it helped somewhat. My neck much more so, but it'll take a minute to work all the way down my arm

why dont you try the healing peptides BPC-157 and TB500?? I heard they work miracles.

An update on my tennis elbow. Did prolotherapy & ART. Both improved it a little, but wasn't really healed. Finally decided to get prp therapy.
No pain at all in my elbow for the past month. Lifting doesn't even bother it. Feels 100%, as if never had tennis elbow at all.

Back