• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Rhabdomyolysis

Sierra2500hd

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So this last Friday night I went in to the hospital for extreme abdominal pain that lasted about 15 hours. I was in the hospital for 32 hours getting all kinds of tests run from CT's, ultrasound, and many types of labs. Had a super high white blood cell count and a very high CK.

Bottom line: I was diagnosed with Rhabdomyolysis. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rhabdomyolysis-symptoms-causes-treatments

Basically a breakdown in striated muscle that releases toxins than your body cannot flush out fast enough.

I hammered out 13 days of super intense upper and lower body core workouts going super heavy each day. I followed up the heavy core with high volume supporting muscle group and total body lifting with no less than 6 sets and 10 reps with a final drop set on each exercise. My goal was a 10 day, 3 hour a night, blast of strength and hypertrophy which worked out well by the 10 day mark with a lot of supporting exercises like rows coming easier. I should have quit there and taken that 4-5 day rest. Instead I went 3 more days and broke myself down too far.

Just a word to the wise- While I don't really believe in over training, there has to be a balance and a clear path to recovery based on the intensity of your workouts.

I didn't bring the paperwork with me, but I'll post it when I get back home. I'm not sure if CPK (creatine phosphokinase) test as opposed to CK (creatine kinase) are interchangeable terms, but I'll post the values of whatever test I had.

Also had EKG's, etc. to rule out a heart attack right away. No issues there.

Last edited:
Cpk I believe.

Mine came back around 1100 at the dumb nurse practioner sent me to the Er saying I had possible heart damage. As soon as I got there they just laughed. Some people do not belong in the medical field.

It was actually a nurse practioner that sent me to the ER. I can read blood work better than anyone I've come across in the medical field. Hopefully my new endo isn't ignorant too.

Get well soon.
Luckily there's no chance of that ever happening to be.
Out of curiosity what sort of results did you get from training this much? Was you on AAS?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

I tend to mix up routine heavy training with one off training routines like this 10 day blast on all body parts or just specific muscle groups once in a while. My 80% weights came much easier and for more reps. I'm more in to strength training, but want a little bit of density for stability with heavier weights.

My quads, calves and shoulders did make a noticeable change during this stretch. More filled out, separated and vascular. Many people have commented on my calves recently. Hard to tell if there are any other size changes, I just noticed many exercises coming easier with heavier weight.

Right now I'm just on a TRT dose of 200mg/week Test Cyp.

So this last Friday night I went in to the hospital for extreme abdominal pain that lasted about 15 hours. I was in the hospital for 32 hours getting all kinds of tests run from CT's, ultrasound, and many types of labs. Had a super high white blood cell count and a very high CK.

Bottom line: I was diagnosed with Rhabdomyolysis. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rhabdomyolysis-symptoms-causes-treatments

Basically a breakdown in striated muscle that releases toxins than your body cannot flush out fast enough.

I hammered out 13 days of super intense upper and lower body core workouts going super heavy each day. I followed up the heavy core with high volume supporting muscle group and total body lifting with no less than 6 sets and 10 reps with a final drop set on each exercise. My goal was a 10 day, 3 hour a night, blast of strength and hypertrophy which worked out well by the 10 day mark with a lot of supporting exercises like rows coming easier. I should have quit there and taken that 4-5 day rest. Instead I went 3 more days and broke myself down too far.

Just a word to the wise- While I don't really believe in over training, there has to be a balance and a clear path to recovery based on the intensity of your workouts.

I was just reading in a medical journal this is becoming a real issue with crossfitters!

Steve- I did some follow up reading myself and saw that as well. I typically lumber along on heavy lifting days putting as much as 5 minutes in between sets for only bench and squats. On days like the above its many sets on many exercises with typically a minute between sets. My training partner and I very often come close to puking. That and I'm 46 and he's 50. I train like a pro though! With calves I may do 45 minutes to an hour with 15-30 seconds between sets of barbell calf raises....always going for the burn!

Crossfit is no joke. A friend of mine is really into it. I thought it was some type of light weight routines but its heavy weight, high rep, crazy endurance excercises.

What's going on in this thread.

IML Gear Cream!
Had rhabdo beginning of last year. Shit sucked dick. Rest, drink an excessive amount of water, and do everything you can to flush your kidneys bro.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I lifted last night, but very light. I am totally drained and exhausted from it. You are right is sucks ass....

Did you call into the Jason Ellis show on Faction? lol. Heard a dude who had the same thing call in yesterday.

I hope you're feeling better, and thx for the detailed story Sierra... definitely an education we should all have.

This to me is sort of the very definition of "overtraining" though... maybe not in the sense of muscles in isolation unable to adapt any further but the body as a whole hitting a hard wall on dealing with the intensity of cellular rebuilding.

I also have read rhabdomyolysis is very common among crossfitters.

I can see why now.

Thanks for sharing.

Back