05-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Can you gals help a bit please?

My wife is stuck.

She is currently 5'6", 149lbs.

Her diet is strictly paleo and keeps her macros at:
140g protein
70g fat
~35g carbs

All diet is real food with the exception of one egg white protein shake at a max of once a day no more than four times a week.

Her training consists of HIIT 3x wk, and weight training 2x wk.

Supplements: multivitamin, probiotic, turmeric, vitamin d3 (50k iu 2x wk), b12 (1000mcg/wk), clen/ECAY (2wk alternating).

She's getting frustrated and only showing trace ketones. I'm sure she's very concerned about the stubborn areas like her thighs as we're headed to beach in a few months. I'm out of ideas.

Planning on bloods as well but not sure which panel to order.

I appreciate your feedback. Thank you much!

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 07:51 AM
What do her food choices look like? Can you give more specific examples?

Also how old is she? How does she feel/look?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Dannie
05-30-2016, 07:57 AM
Possibly too much carbs or / and protein to achieve ketosis.

Have her try
95g Protein
95g Fat
5g Carbs per meal

For a total of ~1300kcal, same as she is on now.

1g Metformin HCL will put her right into ketosis after a carb up.
200mcg Chromium Picolinate with morning and evening meal will ensure that she does not bounce in and out of ketosis if she is ultra sensitive to carbs. But this should not be an issue if she sticks to <5g carbs per meal.

Progress
05-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Zero carbs.

MiSh
05-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Zero carbs.
Yup
Kill the carbs and sugar

Progress
05-30-2016, 08:07 AM
She is hiding something from you. Getting carbs somewhere lol

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:11 AM
What do her food choices look like? Can you give more specific examples?

Also how old is she? How does she feel/look?

She is 34. She would say she is fine, but I think she has been rather moody (not cycle related). I know she has some stress, not marital issues or anything, just other things going on, and work stress. Could be from putting so much effort into diet and not getting results.

She looks great. Sometimes bloat in the lower abdomen, and a little cellulite in the rear upper thighs. Other than that, she's rather lean.

Some examples of her food choices would be cage free eggs, Kirkland Sig egg whites, avocado, baby spinach salads with chicken and evoo/balsamic vinaigrette, bell peppers, no starchy carbs, grass fed steaks
For cheese, she will either sparingly use daiya dairy free slices, or shredded almond cheddar style.

When she gets back from the gym I'll ask her to input her my fitness pal data on specific meals.

Trying to have her set up a profile here, but she's not to interested. Maybe I'll set one up for her and just have her take over. I don't know.....

Thank you both for the responses.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:15 AM
She is hiding something from you. Getting carbs somewhere lol
This woman is stubborn as hell. I know she is not intentionally consuming more than she thinks.

She loads her meals in the app the day prior and sticks to it.

The only thing she has ever hid is the stupid fast loss pills. But she hasn't taken them since starting clen.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Zero carbs.
Ouch. Is that even possible?

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 08:19 AM
She is 34. She would say she is fine, but I think she has been rather moody (not cycle related). I know she has some stress, not marital issues or anything, just other things going on, and work stress. Could be from putting so much effort into diet and not getting results.

She looks great. Sometimes bloat in the lower abdomen, and a little cellulite in the rear upper thighs. Other than that, she's rather lean.

Some examples of her food choices would be cage free eggs, Kirkland Sig egg whites, avocado, baby spinach salads with chicken and evoo/balsamic vinaigrette, bell peppers, no starchy carbs, grass fed steaks
For cheese, she will either sparingly use daiya dairy free slices, or shredded almond cheddar style.

When she gets back from the gym I'll ask her to input her my fitness pal data on specific meals.

Trying to have her set up a profile here, but she's not to interested. Maybe I'll set one up for her and just have her take over. I don't know.....

Thank you both for the responses.
I would switch out her steaks with white fish...that could be bloating her... and as already mentioned... drop her carbs, I would do that for the next week or two then have a day or two of carbs in her diet...just to shock her system. Get her energy levels and body running off the fats... maybe change up her routine at the gym...and ensure she's drinking lots of water...

Disarm
05-30-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm not a woman, but I'll help anyways. I don't see many veggies on there. What kind of grass fed meats is she eating, and is she eating alternative items for dairy? How often does she test if she is in ketosis, and how often does she weight herself? Sounds like she is putting a lot on a number and stressing herself out more on top of the everyday stressors.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:22 AM
Sorry, bell peppers, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. We don't particularly count the green veggies in the numbers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:26 AM
I would switch out her steaks with white fish...that could be bloating her... and as already mentioned... drop her carbs, I would do that for the next week or two then have a day or two of carbs in her diet...just to shock her system. Get her energy levels and body running off the fats... maybe change up her routine at the gym...and ensure she's drinking lots of water...

That is very possible with the bloat.

This is gonna hurt to say, but we cannot do fish. No matter how hard we try to choke it down, salmon, tilapia, cod, it doesn't matter. We both gag. We try every other month or so, but it's pointless. But we'll keep trying.

Thank you. I'll keep you all posted.

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 08:33 AM
That is very possible with the bloat.

This is gonna hurt to say, but we cannot do fish. No matter how hard we try to choke it down, salmon, tilapia, cod, it doesn't matter. We both gag. We try every other month or so, but it's pointless. But we'll keep trying.

Thank you. I'll keep you all posted.
Is it the fishy taste or the texture?

Have you tried mixing it with the veggies...kinda bury it in the veggies in small pieces.... I was never a big fish eater but doing it this way makes it easier... have you tried orange roughy or monk fish... they actually have a very mild taste and not so gooey texture or smell. It's an easy fish to eat.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:39 AM
For me it's the texture. I made some awesome cod last week. I got through 4oz and couldn't tolerate another swallow. She shredded it up and threw it in her salad. She managed to get the whole meal down but commented "never again!" Lol.

I'll text her the other types to pick up on her shopping trip and will give those a try.

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 08:42 AM
For me it's the texture. I made some awesome cod last week. I got through 4oz and couldn't tolerate another swallow. She shredded it up and threw it in her salad. She managed to get the whole meal down but commented "never again!" Lol.

I'll text her the other types to pick up on her shopping trip and will give those a try.

It's worth a try...they are meaty fish so different from the ones you already tried...hope that works for you both... but I'd definately stay away from her steak for a bit...replace it with more lean white meat... the broccoli definitely contributes to it too... maybe swap that out for asparagus or brussel sprouts... just an idea and see how she feels

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:45 AM
It's worth a try...they are meaty fish so different from the ones you already tried...hope that works for you both... but I'd definately stay away from her steak for a bit...replace it with more lean white meat... the broccoli definitely contributes to it too... maybe swap that out for asparagus or brussel sprouts... just an idea and see how she feels

Okay, we do those two veggies regularly as well. She won't be opposed as she loves them both more than broccoli.

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Okay, we do those two veggies regularly as well. She won't be opposed as she loves them both more than broccoli.
Perfect! Might as well try... :)

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:47 AM
I'm not a woman, but I'll help anyways. I don't see many veggies on there. What kind of grass fed meats is she eating, and is she eating alternative items for dairy? How often does she test if she is in ketosis, and how often does she weight herself? Sounds like she is putting a lot on a number and stressing herself out more on top of the everyday stressors.
Unsweetened almond milk, only for her shakes, less than 4 times a week, and cheese alternates for salad or fajitas. All dairy free, soy free, lactose free, etc.

She probably steps on the scale too much but tests 2-3 times/day.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Perfect! Might as well try... :)

Thank you for the input goddess!

GearGoddess
05-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Thank you for the input goddess!
You're very welcome! I hope it helps :)

Dannie
05-30-2016, 08:53 AM
Zero carbs.

Ouch. Is that even possible?

Absolute zero carbs is not possible, there are traces carbs on everything.

<5g carbs per meal approach accounts for those traces carbs.

Even small side dish of vegetables may add up to over 10g of carbs.

100g asparagus has 4g carbs
100g cauliflower has 5g carbs
100g broccoli has 7g carbs

Also as per my post lower protein intake and increase fats, 1:1 ratio is ideal.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:55 AM
We'll definitely give it a go. Thank you Dannie as well as Mish, Progress, and Disarm.

bignasty
05-30-2016, 09:12 AM
I think geargodess might be onto something. While im.not a diet guru i am very aware of the human dogestive system since ive dealt with a screwy one my whole life. Beef especially steak takes longer to pass through your system. Fish is a good idea but i am not a fish guy either..just tried eating flounder yesterday. No success. So roday im trying some red snapper. Fried is a whole different story. But baked and grilled is a no go.

Uplifted
05-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Dump the cheese. When low or no carbs you must invest in a fiber supplement to clear the toxins/waste from the colon. Metamucil brother will rid of the bloat and the fat will melt.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Dump the cheese. When low or no carbs you must invest in a fiber supplement to clear the toxins/waste from the colon. Metamucil brother will rid of the bloat and the fat will melt.
Yep we just talked. She's been taking 1 tsp metamucil a day. I recommended she up it to twice a day.

tommygunz
05-30-2016, 12:27 PM
I take a tablespoon of Metamucil once to twice a day depending on my protein load. It helps a bunch.

Uplifted
05-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Yep we just talked. She's been taking 1 tsp metamucil a day. I recommended she up it to twice a day.

Fasted cardio for 45min 6 days a wk and weights 4-5 times a week is what will be needed. 3 hiits and weight training 2 times a wk may not be enough. If she really wants it then she's gonna have to step up.

MiSh
05-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Phil
Have her take Ephe
She will have lits of energy for sex
You've got Hammer
Its a win win

Gold's Gym
05-30-2016, 02:08 PM
The keto diet works n works well. If she isn't seeing results she isn't following perfectly. In order to get into ketosis u have to follow no carbs strict for 2 weeks straight. Then one cheat meal a week so ur body has to fight back into ketosis. Now no carbs mean no carbs, u can have natural occurring carbs from green vegs, raw nuts n a fiber drink n that's it. This diet will lean u out, dry u out and leave u looking a little flat but she'll look great. What women what's to be walking around full n jacked anyway. Allot of low impact cardio n when she really hits a wall she can rotate just protein n vegs days w protein fat n vegs. The protein n vegs day will starve the fat right off of her body
Have her look up Dave Palumbo, he is the best out there w this type of diet. He works w many pro athletes male n female. I had worked w Dave for a couple of yrs myself, many of my members have used his services over the yrs. One just competed this weekend.. any help i can be just reach out to me

Dannie
05-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Here's a 'Keto bible'
http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Bodyopus-Militant-Weight-Recomposition/dp/0965310701

Looks like the price is quadrupled in last few years.

independent
05-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Excellent thread, my wife is doing a keto too and hit the wall. Same stats too except for age. Definitely cut down the carbs but count the net carbs, thats the total carbs minus the fiber. From what im reading saturated fat is important on a keto. Subbed for more info.

independent
05-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Also dont rely on keto strips for checking ketosis. Google it.

jerseydevil
05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
I've always followed the CKD diet which is closely related to Dan Duchaine's Body Opus, and Dr Mauro DiPasquale Anabolic diets. Where most people miss the boat is while these are commonly called low carb diets they would probably be more accurately described as a high fat diet. Macros should be in the 65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs range (OP based on 1,330 kcal per day diet that works out to 17 grams of carbs per day). Too much protein actually interferes with ketosis. The idea is to turn the body from using glucose as fuel to using fat stores. Like Bigmoe touched on, it's seems counterintuitive, but saturated fat is a good thing. Nothing wrong with whole eggs and bacon for breakfast for example. No, it's not healthy in the long run, but this diet is temporary. This might blow you away but when I do CKD I typically consume 28 plus whole eggs per week, 3 strips of bacon every morning, then during the day leaner proteins like chicken and fish..... and steak, and my cholesterol numbers come back phenomenal. Research has indicated that low carb diets actually 'fool' the liver into producing less cholesterol.

Lots of good info in this thread, especially from GG and Dannie. I just wanted to add fat is not evil when it comes to low carb, and high protein can be counterproductive. Plus as was mentioned fiber is very important. Only count net carbs by subtracting dietary fiber from the carb total. So 100 grams of broccoli for example has 7 grams of carbs, 2.6 grams of which are dietary fiber, so the net is 4.4 grams.

..... and learn to love fish people! LOL.

bc123jm
05-30-2016, 05:49 PM
The keto diet works n works well. If she isn't seeing results she isn't following perfectly. In order to get into ketosis u have to follow no carbs strict for 2 weeks straight. Then one cheat meal a week so ur body has to fight back into ketosis. Now no carbs mean no carbs, u can have natural occurring carbs from green vegs, raw nuts n a fiber drink n that's it. This diet will lean u out, dry u out and leave u looking a little flat but she'll look great. What women what's to be walking around full n jacked anyway. Allot of low impact cardio n when she really hits a wall she can rotate just protein n vegs days w protein fat n vegs. The protein n vegs day will starve the fat right off of her body
Have her look up Dave Palumbo, he is the best out there w this type of diet. He works w many pro athletes male n female. I had worked w Dave for a couple of yrs myself, many of my members have used his services over the yrs. One just competed this weekend.. any help i can be just reach out to me

i'll go with this answer. i followed dave P diet to the t. it will put you into ketosis no doubt. then to get even more ripped you alternate just pro/veg day and drop the extra fat. if you cant get ripped on that nothing will do it. prob gonna need some kinda speed to kill the appetite though

mbell4377
05-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Any artificial sweeteners? If so cut them out, she also needs more fats in her diet, flax seed oil, fish oils, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advanced labs VIP customer

jerseydevil
05-30-2016, 06:46 PM
The Lyle McDonald/Body Opus/AD/Palumbo, etc which is better debate has been going on for years. Fact is if you follow any one of these diets strictly you will get excellent results.

independent
05-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Any artificial sweeteners? If so cut them out, she also needs more fats in her diet, flax seed oil, fish oils, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil etc...

Whats the deal with artificial sweeteners?

mbell4377
05-30-2016, 07:01 PM
Whats the deal with artificial sweeteners?

They cause insulin release from the pancreas...
And increase hunger....
Just cut them out, she'll thank me for it later. I bet she drops a quick ten lbs after cutting them out. Let me know

independent
05-30-2016, 07:12 PM
They cause insulin release from the pancreas...
And increase hunger....
Just cut them out, she'll thank me for it later. I bet she drops a quick ten lbs after cutting them out. Let me know

I will have her try it.

Phil_McRevis
05-30-2016, 08:21 PM
All good info. Yes, we are not scared of saturated fats at all. I was just basing my info off of Dave Palumbo's guidance with the 1-1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per pound of bw. For me, keeping under 50g carbs (net) gets me there, but it wasn't working for Mrs. McRevis.

So I appreciate all of the feedback and I think we can tweak things up a bit based on the responses posted.

You guys are great.

She has an account now, so hopefully she'll chime in someday.

Her name is "Phyllis".

GearGoddess
05-31-2016, 02:50 AM
All good info. Yes, we are not scared of saturated fats at all. I was just basing my info off of Dave Palumbo's guidance with the 1-1.5g of protein and .5g of fat per pound of bw. For me, keeping under 50g carbs (net) gets me there, but it wasn't working for Mrs. McRevis.

So I appreciate all of the feedback and I think we can tweak things up a bit based on the responses posted.

You guys are great.

She has an account now, so hopefully she'll chime in someday.

Her name is "Phyllis".

Yay Mrs. PHYLLIS! :) I hope she comes and joins her log so we can keep up with her progress and help along the way...

And I agree...keto and the anabolic diets work well and are very similar... I personally did a couple rounds of the anabolic diet over the years. My last one lasted 6 months and I was on cycle. I think it was the best recomp my body ever went through... people told me I actually looked more defined, lean and nicely filled out once I had a carb load day. All this talk about it, makes me want to do it again! Mmmmm....bacon and eggs... (JD, your fault) lol ;)

Phil_McRevis
05-31-2016, 03:09 AM
Well I set up Tapatalk on her phone and subscribed to this thread so hopefully she'll ask some questions, concerns, issues, progress. It'd be cool if she did a log too.

independent
05-31-2016, 06:27 AM
Im reading conflicting info that stevia doesn't cause an insulin spike?

GearGoddess
05-31-2016, 06:35 AM
Im reading conflicting info that stevia doesn't cause an insulin spike?
Stevie isn't an artificial sweeter, it's plant based... splenda, sweet and low, equal, etc are artificial

independent
05-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Stevie isn't an artificial sweeter, it's plant based... splenda, sweet and low, equal, etc are artificial

Gotcha. Im going to have my wife stop using them and see what happens.