• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Are Shrugs really the best option for training the traps?

TheShadow

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I have had an online client of mine message me today expressing that he feels that his traps are a largely lagging body part of theirs, and ask if they should add shrugs to their routine to help bring them up.

I personally do not feel that Shrugs would be a physique athletes best choice for building the traps, and here's why.

Take a look at this study on the anatomy and actions of the traps: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23916077

Here is one important exert:

"It is evident from this pattern that the nuchal portion of trapezius is not disposed to elevate the scapula. Foremost, its fibres act on the clavicle and not on the scapula, but even then, its fibres are orientated transversely so as to draw the clavicle backwards or medially, but not upwards. Only the fibres from the superior nuchal line might be accorded some capacity to apply vertical forces to the clavicle, but their small size limits their strength in this action. Applying a force coefficient of 50 N cm-2 to their physiological cross-sectional area restricts their maximum force in this regard to some 15 N [~3.4 pounds]. Furthermore, towards their insertion, their fibres approach the clavicle in almost a horizontal plane. Consequently, whatever upward action they might have would be dissipated in the cervical fascia before the fibres reached the clavicle."

Also:

"At no time does the trapezius exert an upward force on the scapula."

As we can see, the traps barely contribute to scapular elevation at all, directly or indirectly. Therefore, conventional shrugs are best to not be considered a traps exercise.

I would, in their place, recommend:
Upper traps - side lateral raises and dumbbell rows with an emphasis on upward rotation of the scapulae. Middle traps - anything involving loaded scapular retraction (rows to the chest, face pulls, and reverse flys, performed in a way which includes scapular retraction and protraction on each rep)
Lower traps - chin-ups, pull-downs, and pull-ins, performed in a way which includes scapular depression and elevation on each rep.

88f51e15a54e06e7ac7179e1a1d65306.jpg

This is with rarely using DB shrugs; maybe twice a month, maybe. I flex my traps during all of my back exercises.

I have small traps, I think.

What I like are deadlifts (no matter the weight) and reverse flys.

Clean,
Deadlift
Rack Pull Shrug
Barbell Shrug

Also barbell pullups work great to.

The staples..

I have had an online client of mine message me today expressing that he feels that his traps are a largely lagging body part of theirs, and ask if they should add shrugs to their routine to help bring them up.
Is your client on gear? I ask because traps are like the first thing that blow up on me when starting a cycle. I barely have to touch them with a set or two of barbell shrugs, and they just swell up. I think most people are this way.

More androgen receptors in the traps than elsewhere ---> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664066

Shrugs absolutely build traps. No offense but in your avi pic (could just be the angle and lighting) but you don't seem to have any kind of traps at all. Add different kind of shrugs into it and they will grow. Mine grow best with higher reps. Obviously the other stuff will make them grow too, but shrugs will absolutely 100% make your traps grow.

Hey Trap. It would be awesome if you could present an actual argument presenting some evidence, other than anecdotal.

Correlation doesn't equal causation and this is all to often seen in exercise selection in my opinion!

At no point did I claim to have large traps or anything of the like involving my physique, I just presented some actual scientific evidence to support a claim I was making.

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Is your client on gear? I ask because traps are like the first thing that blow up on me when starting a cycle. I barely have to touch them with a set or two of barbell shrugs, and they just swell up. I think most people are this way.

More androgen receptors in the traps than elsewhere ---> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664066

He is a natural client! You are right though, androgens do certainly build traps! Thank you very much for including some evidence aswell. Repped!

slow isolated t bar rows work great, and lateral flyes.

The key to growing them is actually feeling them work. I see a lot of guys in the gym shrugging away 100 mph, and they have no traps. In my honest opinion, shrugs are not the best exercise for traps, because it becomes a "rep" movement instead of a mind-muscle connection.

When I get "in the zone" reps are never counted, the muscle is worked until I feel I cant get anymore blood in it.

Other than the obvious ones like deads.

Farmer walks, Kelto Shrugs, and wide grip dumbbell upright rows.

Traps are built by knowing how to contact tract them properly during most of your exercises.

Last edited:
IML Gear Cream!
Cleans and a solid lockout in overhead press plus I do lunges holding a 100 lb plate overhead, that usually kills the traps good

my evidence is my own traps. You can read till ur brain is numb all day long about what works and what doesn't becuase of "science" all you want. People who have seen me know I have a set of traps on me.

You shouldn't be recommending workouts to ur "clients" if you don't know what the Fuck your doing without "science" being your answer.

Keep reading what works instead of trying what works. Personally I think your client needs a new "trainer".

Too many of you motherfuckers on Instagram think your personal trainers today. It's actually pathetic.

Im done in this convo, go read some books on how to lift instead of actually doing the workouts.

✌🏻

post them up....picture worth a 1000 words.

my evidence is my own traps. You can read till ur brain is numb all day long about what works and what doesn't becuase of "science" all you want. People who have seen me know I have a set of traps on me.

You shouldn't be recommending workouts to ur "clients" if you don't know what the Fuck your doing without "science" being your answer.

Keep reading what works instead of trying what works. Personally I think your client needs a new "trainer".

Too many of you motherfuckers on Instagram think your personal trainers today. It's actually pathetic.

Im done in this convo, go read some books on how to lift instead of actually doing the workouts.

✌️

Good evening Trap. Relax brother, it's only a discussion, I'm here to learn and share ideas like all of us are.

I will however respectfully disagree with the entirety of this post. Write back if you would like a real discussion with me as to why without having to resort to personal retorts or ad hominem attacks.

Thank you

I think everyone is different. I do shrugs and my traps are pretty decent. Not laggin thats for sure. The day after my traps KILL me.

Some good advice here... Here's my POV:

I rarely do trap work I also don't have big traps because I dont want them, but simply put If you contract then stretch the muscle while under a load, causing muscle fiber activation... Thats the easier part, imo. Eating and sleeping are another story

Based on my own personal evidence and training, I do well with HEAVY shrugs (usually in smith machine with wrist wraps) and dumbell upright rows.

Arnold had Bertile Fox doing an exercise I remember from his encyclopedia (lol) that I never tried. Look it up maybe.

Some good advice here... Here's my POV:

I rarely do trap work I also don't have big traps because I dont want them, but simply put If you contract then stretch the muscle while under a load, causing muscle fiber activation... Thats the easier part, imo. Eating and sleeping are another story

take enough gh and you will sleep fine !!

Get Shredded!
Personally, I feel that barbell shrugs are the most overdone exercise in the entire fucking gym. I see guys shrugging away with 3, 4, and sometimes 5 plates per side and still not one impressive trapezius to be seen. I think a lot of guys do shrugs because it strokes their egos because they can move a large amount of weight with shit form in most cases.

With that said, I've never done any direct trap work and I feel that I have a pretty impressive set of traps. I attribute it to heavy upright rows, heavy side laterals, and a well rounded back routine. I also agree with the fellas that mentioned deadlifts and farmer's carries. Stop wasting your time shrugging, bros.

Personally, I feel that barbell shrugs are the most overdone exercise in the entire fucking gym. I see guys shrugging away with 3, 4, and sometimes 5 plates per side and still not one impressive trapezius to be seen. I think a lot of guys do shrugs because it strokes their egos because they can move a large amount of weight with shit form in most cases.

With that said, I've never done any direct trap work and I feel that I have a pretty impressive set of traps. I attribute it to heavy upright rows, heavy side laterals, and a well rounded back routine. I also agree with the fellas that mentioned deadlifts and farmer's carries. Stop wasting your time shrugging, bros.
https://youtu.be/cGKCdTcLTjE

I do dumbbells and fully extend and the raise to try and touch my ears. I dont go as heavy tho 90s. Today I did 6 sets of 12 with my shoulder work. For me, the key is low and slow. I can tell you tomorrow I'll be so freaking sore. Right now they are on fire.

I feel as though I'm working them two times a week. When I do biceps I use the adjustable bench with dumbells. I'll tilt it a bit back let me arm hang then curl. The following day my traps are killing me.

It's what works for me and my doc said I have no neck,lol.

So what do you then?

300lbs in each arm Farmer walks.

When I'm not feeling like a bitch. Which is usually always.

Almost all Strongman exercises will build a huge upper back. No one does them though because well, they're hard.

Back