• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

80/20 Burgers on George Foreman Grill- How do u figure the calories after cooking?

Wick3d

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what amount of fat gets cooked out of 4oz. of Kroger 80/20 ground chuck....I'm assuming protein stays the same. I use the George Foreman Grill. I know on the package it says 23g fat per 4 oz. raw (207 Cals)....about what would this be cooked? Would my best bet be to weigh the fat in the tray than then subtract it?

Thanks for your help!

IMO you'd benefit from buying leaner beef. You may think your saving money buying the fattier stuff but do the math on how much protein u get out of a pound of lean and out of a pound of 20%. Really it's probably going to come out to about the same cost per grams of protein. Not to avoid the answer to your actual question so give me a second and I'll post how I would try to figure the approximate amount after cooking.

Ok so don't kill me if I'm wrong bcuz I'm kinda tired here but I figured it's about 2.87g fat per 0.1oz cooked off. So if u take about 8oz raw and it cools down to say 6.5oz then you should've cooked off about 43g fat. Leaving about 3g in your burger.

To clarify how I found that I found that 20% of 4oz is 0.8oz. So if 0.8 oz represents 23g fat then I divided that 23g into 8 tenths which is how I found that 1 tenth of an ounce represents about 2.87g fat. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm exhausted today and tend to think a little crazy when that happens.

Thanks for the reply Jmil3655! Your way will get me closer than mine! I mostly get 93/7 but at times they have a buy one get one free and I cant pass up free protein ;)

Thanks for the reply Jmil3655! Your way will get me closer than mine! I mostly get 93/7 but at times they have a buy one get one free and I cant pass up free protein ;)

No problem. I can definitely understand that. The protein is the most expensive part. Whatever u can do to get more for cheaper.

Ok so don't kill me if I'm wrong bcuz I'm kinda tired here but I figured it's about 2.87g fat per 0.1oz cooked off. So if u take about 8oz raw and it cools down to say 6.5oz then you should've cooked off about 43g fat. Leaving about 3g in your burger.

I wouldn't trust that because most of the weight loss is going to be water that has vaporized.

The fat lost will collect as a liquid so the OP's idea of weighing that is an excellent one... although a lot of it will be stuck to the grill so ideally you'd want to weigh the grill slab (if detachable) before and after cooking and use the difference as the weight of the fat.

After all that however, I've read somewhere the that "fat reducing" aspect of the Foreman grills is pretty close to nil... like a couple %. Mainly it's just a convenient and quick-cooking device, not a fat reducing one. Although if you want to believe that it is vaporizing all the fat and give you a guilt-free way to gorge yourself on 80/20 ground beef, don't let me pooper the party. Um... yeah! Foreman grill removes all the fat, dude, hella healthy! Eat TWO burgers you'll lose weight TWICE as fast!

I wouldn't trust that because most of the weight loss is going to be water that has vaporized.

The fat lost will collect as a liquid so the OP's idea of weighing that is an excellent one... although a lot of it will be stuck to the grill so ideally you'd want to weigh the grill slab (if detachable) before and after cooking and use the difference as the weight of the fat.

After all that however, I've read somewhere the that "fat reducing" aspect of the Foreman grills is pretty close to nil... like a couple %. Mainly it's just a convenient and quick-cooking device, not a fat reducing one. Although if you want to believe that it is vaporizing all the fat and give you a guilt-free way to gorge yourself on 80/20 ground beef, don't let me pooper the party. Um... yeah! Foreman grill removes all the fat, dude, hella healthy! Eat TWO burgers you'll lose weight TWICE as fast!

I can definitely agree that some of the loss would be water. I also have seen the HUGE difference in what cooks out of the 80/20 compared to the real lean stuff. I doubt that all of that is just water. to be safe maybe you could call about 20% or so water. But, only in my opinion, I don't think that just because it's higher in fat that it's going to have the grease tray full just from water while the lean stuff leaves nearly nothing in the grease tray. I would think that the lean muscle is what is holding the water, not the fat. I respect your opinion though and definitely don't claim to be correct. I personally wouldn't use the higher fat stuff just because you really can't be sure how much your ingesting, but if I were eating it I would feel comfortable doing a little math to get a rough idea.

Definitely a lot of water in both the fat and the muscle of the burger (it's about 70% water, as is our own muscle), and some will come out in cooking. I hadn't thought of what comes into the tray as liquid with the fat but that's a good point, only way to separate them would be to heat it. Unless the tray is the actual cooking griddle surface? In that case there should be no water since it would boil off immediately. I'd expect most of the water loss out of the burger to be as steam.

But yeah, no way to know without doing the actual weighing experiments. I got no numbers to back up my theories, just vague memories of reading about "not much fat" actually being lost in the cooking.

Back