• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Glycerol in a keto diet.

Jmil3655

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Currently I'm cutting using a keto diet. I've been using a preworkout supplement that contains glycerol. Does anyone know if glycerol contains carbs or enough carbs to prevent my body from ketosis and effectively converting fats to energy?

glycerol is glycerin, a sugar alcohol from hydroxide and fat. it is a carbohydrate, but it supposedly doesn't act as one. I don't think it will kick you out of keto, but I didn't use it on my psmf which is basically a cyclical keto. I do however use it with dnp for hydration, and when I take it I can't feel the carb affects of heat (you feel immense heat ingesting carbs on dnp).

Ok. Yeah I read a little bit of info similar to that. Just didn't see anything specifically to help me decide whether it's detrimental to a keto diet. Ill not worry about it.

On a side note, I murdered sugar free rockstars, monsters, etc and they all use sugar alcohol and they never kicked me out of keto, neither did the higher protein of psmf...keto sticks always came back good when I remembered to actually use them.

Just test with some keto sticks after hefty dose.

Once I'm in keto it doesn't take much for me to move out but, some people can get a little higher on the carbs and stay in ketosis.

Ok. Honestly I didn't even know I could test for it. First time goin keto.

So I bought some ketone urine test strips. Tried one and it showed 15mg/dl. What is the optimum I should be shooting for?

So I bought some ketone urine test strips. Tried one and it showed 15mg/dl. What is the optimum I should be shooting for?
You want to be in the darker purple ranges based on the color chart on the bottle.

You're close if not in ketosis already though. Sometimes no matter what you do you will never hit the dark dark purple.

267af2619be54663152bf155161af995.jpg

I was in the small/15 category. Is there a difference based on time of day doing this? Or on an empty stomach? The thing is my carbs have been next to nothing. Only coming from broccoli or leafy greens in very small amounts. I was also reading though that too much protein can also cause insulin spike. That's one thing I'd hate to lower. I'm at just around 2x body weight on that. Any suggestions?

Protein won't really cause an insulin spike unless you are without carbs for a long time I believe.

So basically your body can turn protein into glycogen with an extended absence of carbs which will start causing insulin activity.

I could be totally off but I don't think I am.

Like I said before though, sometimes you won't get in the dark purple but still be in ketosis. How long without carbs?

Time shouldn't matter much, I know things change slightly when you're adapted (but it isn't drastic). The concern with protein is "adequate protein"...what exactly adequate is would be highly individual. The concern more is having excess protein, Gluceogenesis occurs (it happens in the presence of carbs too) personally my keep sticks look good at 1.5g/lb, I tried 2g/lb cause I was hungry and it kicked me out. I had to do depletion style workouts to get back in.

Protein won't really cause an insulin spike unless you are without carbs for a long time I believe.

So basically your body can turn protein into glycogen with an extended absence of carbs which will start causing insulin activity.

I could be totally off but I don't think I am.

Like I said before though, sometimes you won't get in the dark purple but still be in ketosis. How long without carbs?

I've been at it for about 2 weeks so far with no carbs at all. Before that for about 2 weeks it was low carbs. But then there is the cheat meal 1x a week which I have carbs.

Time shouldn't matter much, I know things change slightly when you're adapted (but it isn't drastic). The concern with protein is "adequate protein"...what exactly adequate is would be highly individual. The concern more is having excess protein, Gluceogenesis occurs (it happens in the presence of carbs too) personally my keep sticks look good at 1.5g/lb, I tried 2g/lb cause I was hungry and it kicked me out. I had to do depletion style workouts to get back in.

I know that protein intake is a highly debated subject. If I were not injecting testosterone and other aas then I'd say that 1-1.5/lb is fine because protein synthesis isn't n high gear. However I find it hard to believe that anyone running gear would recommend lower protein than 2grams/lb

Just my opinion on the protein. Could also make a difference with each individual. I just seem to gain muscle better with the higher protein and retain it as well.

I know that protein intake is a highly debated subject. If I were not injecting testosterone and other aas then I'd say that 1-1.5/lb is fine because protein synthesis isn't n high gear. However I find it hard to believe that anyone running gear would recommend lower protein than 2grams/lb

No doubt, I don't think the debate will ever be truly settled. There are solid case studies with "proving evidence" on both sides it.

Back