• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

People giving advice

88HerculesGenes88

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
There's a guy on my fitness pal community asking for advice on gaining muscle, I suggest to him a simple meal plan and body part split work out routine and these skinny fucks jump in saying no no no, body part split won't work, you need full body workouts 3 times a week, and only eat three times a day, and bs bs bs, what the fuck? What's wrong with a bodybuilder style routine for gaining muscle, and what's wrong with eating 5 meals a day with snacks in between?

Nothings wrong with his full body workout though either...I mean not really..anything will be better than nothing if the dude is just starting out

Nothings wrong with his full body workout though either...I mean not really..anything will be better than nothing if the dude is just starting out

The problem I see is him only spending a short time on each body part and getting insufficient workouts. They also told him to not focus on the pump, I was blown away.

Yeah...the more you see advice people give the more you'll want the uzi fairy to visit ...lol

I'd like too....the rules sort of prohibit me from thinning the herd here

There's a guy on my fitness pal community asking for advice on gaining muscle, I suggest to him a simple meal plan and body part split work out routine and these skinny fucks jump in saying no no no, body part split won't work, you need full body workouts 3 times a week, and only eat three times a day, and bs bs bs, what the fuck? What's wrong with a bodybuilder style routine for gaining muscle, and what's wrong with eating 5 meals a day with snacks in between?

Brother, the overwhelming amount of studies and even meta-analyses on protein synthesis point towards a 3x per week frequency being optimal for the large majority, especially the novice and natural trainee. Setting this up as 3x full body routines is a great way to program this.

Also, the evidence is clear cut that your overall net energy intake will determine the desire end result of your diet. Caloric surplus and you will gain weight, deficit you will lose weight, maintenance and you will maintain. Whether this comes from one large feeding or 6 small meals make no metabolic difference. The only evidence we have for meal timing (note timing - not frequency) is that elite athletes should time their caloric intake around highly glycogen depleting activities. This will almost never happen to any recreational physique athlete and we are talking in minutia now.

Train with adequate frequency, volume and intensity and consume the amount of calories neccessary for your end goals. How one gets to these outcomes is largely irrelevant.

The problem I see is him only spending a short time on each body part and getting insufficient workouts. They also told him to not focus on the pump, I was blown away.

The 'pump' is the accumulation of lactic acid and waste product caused by metabolic fatigue. Although this is considered a driver of hypertrophy to a small degree, the main driver of hypertrophy is progressive overload over time.

This is a peer-reviewed study I found really interesting on training frequency, what do you guys think of the research?

I find this particularly interested as all of the participants were already highly trained individuals outside of the novice stages of lifting.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...y_on_Muscular_Adaptations_in_Well-Trained_Men

Cliffs:

• Two groups, TOTAL (full body 3x/week) and SPLIT (body part split)
  • Weekly volume was the same across both groups
  • Greater increase in strength and size across all muscle groups tested in TOTAL group than SPLIT group
  • Only reached statistical significance in forearm flexor muscles however (I'd guess that with a larger sample size or longer time period statistical significance would definitely be reached in all measures)
TLDR: "The findings suggest a potentially superior hypertrophic benefit to higher weekly resistance training frequencies."

I just read your study and learned absolutely nothing other than the total body groups were circle jerking eachother and there was no difference in strength gains showed in either group. Also, what's this about training three body parts for the split? Suppose to be uno.

Brother, the overwhelming amount of studies and even meta-analyses on protein synthesis point towards a 3x per week frequency being optimal for the large majority, especially the novice and natural trainee. Setting this up as 3x full body routines is a great way to program this.

Also, the evidence is clear cut that your overall net energy intake will determine the desire end result of your diet. Caloric surplus and you will gain weight, deficit you will lose weight, maintenance and you will maintain. Whether this comes from one large feeding or 6 small meals make no metabolic difference. The only evidence we have for meal timing (note timing - not frequency) is that elite athletes should time their caloric intake around highly glycogen depleting activities. This will almost never happen to any recreational physique athlete and we are talking in minutia now.

Train with adequate frequency, volume and intensity and consume the amount of calories neccessary for your end goals. How one gets to these outcomes is largely irrelevant.

So you're telling me I can eat 180 grams of protein in one meal and my body will use all of it?

Argue it to the death (and I hope you do) but probably the single most important thing to someone new or not so new is consistency..whatever they stick with is what's gonna work best.

Argue it to the death (and I hope you do) but probably the single most important thing to someone new or not so new is consistency..whatever they stick with is what's gonna work best.

I definitely agree! Adherence is at the top of the tree!

This is a peer-reviewed study I found really interesting on training frequency, what do you guys think of the research?

I find this particularly interested as all of the participants were already highly trained individuals outside of the novice stages of lifting.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...y_on_Muscular_Adaptations_in_Well-Trained_Men

Cliffs:

• Two groups, TOTAL (full body 3x/week) and SPLIT (body part split)
  • Weekly volume was the same across both groups
  • Greater increase in strength and size across all muscle groups tested in TOTAL group than SPLIT group
  • Only reached statistical significance in forearm flexor muscles however (I'd guess that with a larger sample size or longer time period statistical significance would definitely be reached in all measures)
TLDR: "The findings suggest a potentially superior hypertrophic benefit to higher weekly resistance training frequencies."
Shadow, your study misses the most important benefit of a split. See your second bullet point. Weekly volume was the same across both groups.

The whole point of a split is to do more volume on each body part.

With a severe limitation like that, basically undercutting the entire reason for a split, anybody should have been able to predict that the total body workout 3 x week would do the best.

Shadow, your study misses the most important benefit of a split. See your second bullet point. Weekly volume was the same across both groups.

The whole point of a split is to do more volume on each body part.

With a severe limitation like that, basically undercutting the entire reason for a split, anybody should have been able to predict that the total body workout 3 x week would do the best.

The study was on how effective frequency is as a sole driver of hypertrophy. We already know that volume is a main driver of hypertrophy through previous research so it had to be used as a consistent control group so as to not affect outcome. Regardless, higher frequency was shown as a driver of hypertrophy with equal volume.

It is much easier to acquire a higher total volume (measured in tonnage) performing 3x10 M/W/F for a given body part than 9x10 once per week.

The study was on how effective frequency is as a sole driver of hypertrophy. We already know that volume is a main driver of hypertrophy through previous research so it had to be used as a consistent control group so as to not affect outcome. Regardless, higher frequency was shown as a driver of hypertrophy with equal volume.

It is much easier to acquire a higher total volume (measured in tonnage) performing 3x10 M/W/F for a given body part than 9x10 once per week.

What is this 3x10 & 9x10 shit. 3 sets of ten or 9 sets of ten? Who trains like that?

not everyone wants to look like a bodybuilder.
but if you do then its pretty simple what to do

Back