• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Disk Problems and Heavy Lifting Survey

Jack Link

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How many of you guys and gals that have back problems still lift heavy (squats, deads, overhead movements) basically anything that will put you in vulnerable position or in a significantly higher risk of reinjuring the area even if the orthopedic spine surgeon tells you that you can't do those movements anymore.

I know every case if different depending on how severe the injury is.

I had an L5 S1 fusion done in November. I just started squatting again. It doesn't hurt as long as I use good technique and I had to drop my ego a lot and start working sets with 135. Before surgery my working sets were usually 315 for 12-15 reps. But whatever.

I have an L4 L5 bulge disk, I hold the bar in front of my chest an lift light and use the press machines for me heavy lifting. I actually feel better if I lift and strengthen my core muscles but you gotta avoid the heavy weights its not worth being fucked up and out of the gym for weeks

Certain press machines or hack squat machines can majorly support your back. Might find one that is comfortable throughout the range of motion and start off with moderate weight. Basically what I have to do.

About once per year I throw out my back on BB squats. Never had a problem on hacks or leg presses.

my L5 S1 is junk. The disk is degenorated and it sucks. It limits almost everything i do. I throw my bck out roughly 4 to 5 times a year and im usually out of the gym each time for 2 weeks or more.

I feel your pain if it limits you the way it does me, lol.

on the bright side I skip leg day when my back is sore. core excersises like wood choppers help me a lot, except rows for some reason that movement really fucks me up

I know many guys, all powerlifters who still lift heavy even after back surgeries. Massive erectors protect your spine. Nothing makes them quite as big as dead-lifts.

It all depends if you're capable of lifting heavily, with correct form though. Regardless. Start small, make sure form is good, and just go from there.

Since my backs been fugged up ive been sticking to machines on some things.

Ain't nothing wrong with machines or going light when stuff hurts. It's not worth putting yourself out of the gym for 2 weeks, eventually it'll end up like me and you'll need a fusion and be out for 6 months. My problems were from jumping out of planes and landing really hard though not from lifting. I didn't let it stop me from training hard and heavy but eventually all roads led to surgery and I'm only 24 fuck my body sucks.

I have a herniated disk that really messed me up to the point of walking was almost out of the question (without crippling pain). I finally received epidural injections that got me to the point back where I can do normal everyday actives. I asked the doctor about lifting and he sure but when I asked about squats, deadlifting, overhead, leg press (or anything that causes spine compression) his reply was those days are over.

Pretty hard to accept but I get it and I never want to feel / injure that area again if at all possible. I just thought some people on here were able to go back to heavy lifting.

IML Gear Cream!
I have a herniated disk that really messed me up to the point of walking was almost out of the question (without crippling pain). I finally received epidural injections that got me to the point back where I can do normal everyday actives. I asked the doctor about lifting and he sure but when I asked about squats, deadlifting, overhead, leg press (or anything that causes spine compression) his reply was those days are over.

Pretty hard to accept but I get it and I never want to feel / injure that area again if at all possible. I just thought some people on here were able to go back to heavy lifting.

Thats bullshit bro. Find a new doc and a good physical therapist. If they can't fix it, get it fused. My l5 disc was basically gone and it didn't stop me.

Yes, degenerated / herniated disc, no surgery needed "yet". I've been doing light squats and deadlifts these days, and its feeling good, healing.
Everytime I go heavy, it flares up. It sucks, I check my ego at the door, but can at least do the movements and walk around (Im 50 soon, so now Im more interested in walking around pain free).

I can still bench heavy, and do other things heavy, so its all good. I can still go up to 315 on squats / deads, but after that, things seem to flare up...

Yes, degenerated / herniated disc, no surgery needed "yet". I've been doing light squats and deadlifts these days, and its feeling good, healing.
Everytime I go heavy, it flares up. It sucks, I check my ego at the door, but can at least do the movements and walk around (Im 50 soon, so now Im more interested in walking around pain free).

I can still bench heavy, and do other things heavy, so its all good. I can still go up to 315 on squats / deads, but after that, things seem to flare up...

but is there a reason to go heavier than 315? that's a 1rm for a lot of people and unless your a power lifter competing who cares. You can destroy your legs with less than 315 doing different rep schemes and alternating intensity levels.

One degenerated disc shouldn't stop anyone. That's just an excuse to be a pussy and not squat

its also an excuse to take 6 months off to have it fused and pop a lot of pain pills, but for me play time is over. I'm back to doing almost everything I was before just have to slowly go up in weight.

but is there a reason to go heavier than 315? that's a 1rm for a lot of people and unless your a power lifter competing who cares. You can destroy your legs with less than 315 doing different rep schemes and alternating intensity levels.

One degenerated disc shouldn't stop anyone. That's just an excuse to be a pussy and not squat

You're exactly right, 315 is fine (these days) for me. I used to like to go heavy, but like you said, 315 is heavy enough I guess.
Change is hard for me after 38 years of training, but Im starting to accept it (the lighter weights)...

Do or did you have a herniated disc / sciatica problems? I had the whole sciatica nightmare shit going on. I loved squats more than any other lift. I love felling heavy weight and moving it but I'm afraid to reinjure or make that disk angry again.

Maybe I'll test it with high reps bar only squats and if it feels ok take my time and work my way up.

Thats bullshit bro. Find a new doc and a good physical therapist. If they can't fix it, get it fused. My l5 disc was basically gone and it didn't stop me.

I'm going to see a surgeon in a few weeks just to talk about things, I'll ask about laser surgery to see if I'm a candidate for that type of minimally invasive surgery.

Full disc replacement and rods and screws. I cant do deadlifts and can only train legs on a press machine. Just working out kills me. But at the same time it gives me motivation. Sux to not do some lifts but Im grateful just to be able to still workout.

Back