• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Cross Bench Pullovers.

mass121

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Does anybody do Cross bench pullovers? Or is this a lost exercise.
I do them after incline press and before Dumbbell flys, 4 sets 20 reps.
great stretch and works in the lats, abs and tris, not just for pecs.
I never see anyone doing them.

It' s not popular where I wo, but neither are a lot of things I haven't done cross bench pullovers in a long time but I like doing cable pullovers. =I'll throw these in next chest day over the weekend, good post

It' s not popular where I wo, but neither are a lot of things I haven't done cross bench pullovers in a long time but I like doing cable pullovers. =I'll throw these in next chest day over the weekend, good post

I actually did a vid for a cable pullover variation tonight. I hate traditional ones. Shit ROM and it just leaves me with that something lacking feeling. Underhand pull, lean over so you get a full lat stretch and pull just like a pullover machine pick your head up as you pull down and tight into your waist so you dont cable yourself in the face. Close as I have come to a real pullover machine without having one.

I like em lying on the bench with your head off the end of the bench to stretch the Lats, usually as an extra thrown in on back day.

Not forcing the stretch either.. Taking your time lowering the weight as you want to keep tension on your upper lats and serratus. If you lose the tension you have lowered the dumbell to low. Bring the dumbell to the top of your forehead and not any further .. Constant tension is my goal when doing these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually did a vid for a cable pullover variation tonight. I hate traditional ones. Shit ROM and it just leaves me with that something lacking feeling. Underhand pull, lean over so you get a full lat stretch and pull just like a pullover machine pick your head up as you pull down and tight into your waist so you dont cable yourself in the face. Close as I have come to a real pullover machine without having one.

I tried pullovers last night and I remember why I stopped doing them years ago. I agree, The ROM has what I'll call *flat spots* where the activation is just not sufficient. the stretch/contraction I can get from a cable is far greater. Would you mind posting the link to your video?

I tried pullovers last night and I remember why I stopped doing them years ago. I agree, The ROM has what I'll call *flat spots* where the activation is just not sufficient. the stretch/contraction I can get from a cable is far greater. Would you mind posting the link to your video?
i would like to see the video also

I usually do them laying normal on the bench. I seem to get a better stretch this way personally.

Still a great exercise and under utilized imo. No stretch in the lats, rib cage can compare using cables for me.

I just did it on my phone for a couple friends. its not actually anywhere I can link it.

http://seannal.com/images/standing-cable-pullover.jpg

This guy is doing overhand grip but the starting position and end are right. You're just doing it with underhand grip with arms bent throughout the motion. Just treat it like a machine pullover. Pull down and into your body and towards the bottom pull into your waist and squeeze. Its pretty easy to keep constant tension through the whole thing. Unlike the #2 pic you'll be closer into your body at the mid point. Your looking for a 90-110 dgree bend on your arms which wont change. You just need to pick your head up at the mid point as the cable gets closer to the body so theres more room and you dont run the cable down your face.

IML Gear Cream!
http://seannal.com/images/standing-cable-pullover.jpg

This guy is doing overhand grip but the starting position and end are right. You're just doing it with underhand grip with arms bent throughout the motion. Just treat it like a machine pullover. Pull down and into your body and towards the bottom pull into your waist and squeeze. Its pretty easy to keep constant tension through the whole thing. Unlike the #2 pic you'll be closer into your body at the mid point. Your looking for a 90-110 dgree bend on your arms which wont change. You just need to pick your head up at the mid point as the cable gets closer to the body so theres more room and you dont run the cable down your face.

This is exactly how I do them! lol

I agree 100% also HFO that DB pullovers are very unsatisfying and full of flat/dead spots in the ROM

we have an attachment that i think the underhand grip would work well with

hell yeah, the stretch is killer using the cable plus you can retract your shoulders and hammer your traps at the same time, excellent ROM with cables

we have an attachment that i think the underhand grip would work well with

For me straight bar has been best. Hands are just hooks. The important thing is driving the elbows down and back like an actual pullover machine.

For me straight bar has been best. Hands are just hooks. The important thing is driving the elbows down and back like an actual pullover machine.
do you try to go shoulder width or wider?

Yes this is a exercise I incorporate I'm my routine it is Def a great exercise

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yes this is a exercise I incorporate I'm my routine it is Def a great exercise

However I do these lying on a bench with a dumbell that I pullover..not on a cable

I have such a hard time getting the pump in my chest with these. Do them at the end of my workout. REALLY have to focus on flexing my chest when pulling them up to hit chest, I do 3 sets of twelve. At the end of the set, spotter takes em and passes a DB twice as heavy. I hold it by the actual weight, not the handle so its "standing" so i can do a fast set of 15 presses. Great last second pump, just needs a lot of concentration to hit chest. If you guys have tips for this to hit chest harder, i'm all ears.

I have such a hard time getting the pump in my chest with these. Do them at the end of my workout. REALLY have to focus on flexing my chest when pulling them up to hit chest, I do 3 sets of twelve. At the end of the set, spotter takes em and passes a DB twice as heavy. I hold it by the actual weight, not the handle so its "standing" so i can do a fast set of 15 presses. Great last second pump, just needs a lot of concentration to hit chest. If you guys have tips for this to hit chest harder, i'm all ears.

DB pullovers are a waste of time for chest. Pullovers are a back movement. The DB variation happens to hit chest a little. But very very poorly.

- - - Updated - - -

do you try to go shoulder width or wider?

just wide enough to get outside my hips at the bottom.

Get Shredded!
@BTC yea I remember reading multiple articles saying how it's great for chest AND back, but it just doesn't seem like it's worth the effort at times.

I usually do them laying normal on the bench. I seem to get a better stretch this way personally.

Still a great exercise and under utilized imo. No stretch in the lats, rib cage can compare using cables for me.
I do them this way as well . I actually do the same workouts as Monte so this is why. To elaborate I never come out of the "stretch zone" pretty much only a 1/3 to 1/2 the movement to keep constant pressure . I use a kettle bell but it is getting a little light.

Back