• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

How to Safely Train When You Have a Bulging Disc

Jack Link

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm going through this right now, my L4 is herniated, (MRI report minor protrusion). I'm going through the epidural therapy and haven't been in the weight room in about for over a month. I'm doing stretching exercises for a bulging disc but no weights (just getting back to the point were I can walk really).

How can I safely train around this injury, more specifically leg training really I've always been a heavy squat guy (all compound moves) when comes to training, not many isolation movements except for arms.

All of my pain is sciatic nerve pain in my right leg my lower back feels fine.

Thanks!

Look up Mckenzie exercises for a bulging disc. Also self lumbar traction techniques.

Stay away from exercises that "load" your spine (like squats). Having 300 pounds on your shoulders will certainly load your spine. Add this to going into a flexed position and the spinal pressures increase dramatically.

That is why sitting normally increases pain in the presence of a bulging or herniated disc (greater discal pressure).

I have a ruptured L4/L5 right now. Above my previous fusion. I will be getting another fusion soon.
I agree with trying traction...it can work wonders as long as your disk is not ruptured.

Good luck with the ESI's, they never did me a bit of good...the propofol is nice though, for a few seconds...

I do hacks, leg press, ham curls, quad ext, adductors, abductors...most of the leg exercises are fine if you don't go too hard...no squats, no deads, no lunges.
I can still do shrugs, rows and high pulls but I'm not trying to beat any PR's...and they do hurt.

Just got over a herniated disc, 2 months of limping around. I couldn't squat, deadlift, but I did still go to the gym each day and do something. Lying stuff like bench and chest was fine.
Used more machines than normal. Lied on floor and stretched lightly (and rehab things I found online). And light cardio on the bike. Took a couple months to heal, but I'm back to squatting and deadlifting, though lighter than normal.
(Going to build up very slow and cautiously).

Anyways, good luck to you!

Im currently goin through testing for this. My lower legs are so fucked up to the point completely lose any strength to the point i have to lay on the bed while my wife dresses me head to toe. Scary shit waking up paralyzed.

Scary to see a lot of us aas users with similar injuries.... I myself am going thru this.. I workout a few days a week and do what I can! Mostly machines now days.... I have been researching and Been wondering why? Do we push ourselves to hard or is it something we are taking that breaks us down.... I really think it has to do with all the a.i. And pct prescriptions we put in our body...

Scary to see a lot of us aas users with similar injuries.... I myself am going thru this.. I workout a few days a week and do what I can! Mostly machines now days.... I have been researching and Been wondering why? Do we push ourselves to hard or is it something we are taking that breaks us down.... I really think it has to do with all the a.i. And pct prescriptions we put in our body...

I see tons of neck and back injuries...has a lot to do with poor lifting mechanics and weak core stability.

Also, check out Dr. John Sarno. A big help for a lot of ppl and has cured back pain for many.

Just got over a herniated disc, 2 months of limping around. I couldn't squat, deadlift, but I did still go to the gym each day and do something. Lying stuff like bench and chest was fine.
Used more machines than normal. Lied on floor and stretched lightly (and rehab things I found online). And light cardio on the bike. Took a couple months to heal, but I'm back to squatting and deadlifting, though lighter than normal.
(Going to build up very slow and cautiously).

Anyways, good luck to you!

I hope to be squatting again one day but right now just walking would be nice.

Check out Donnie thompsons videos on the YouTube, he has alot of weird exercisesmthat may help.

IML Gear Cream!
Look up Mckenzie exercises for a bulging disc. Also self lumbar traction techniques.

Stay away from exercises that "load" your spine (like squats). Having 300 pounds on your shoulders will certainly load your spine. Add this to going into a flexed position and the spinal pressures increase dramatically.

That is why sitting normally increases pain in the presence of a bulging or herniated disc (greater discal pressure).

I really want to start squatting again but after want I just went through I have a lot anxiety and fear really to even try it.

Also, check out Dr. John Sarno. A big help for a lot of ppl and has cured back pain for many.

Wow Dr. John Sarno says I have a personality disorder that's causing this crippling back and leg pain..........my brain hates me!!!

Wow Dr. John Sarno says I have a personality disorder that's causing this crippling back and leg pain..........my brain hates me!!!

Negative.

Re-read the book.

His book brings to light the coping mechanism created by the subconscious mind. Life situations that cause tremendous stress are dealt with this way. Lower back pain/sciatica etc are created in the body to server as distractions from life events (loss of loved one, loss of job, family situations and so on).

Obviously it is an entire book and can't be summed up into two sentences exactly.

He also offers a cure.

Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy for 6 dollars.

Regards.

Negative.

Re-read the book.

His book brings to light the coping mechanism created by the subconscious mind. Life situations that cause tremendous stress are dealt with this way. Lower back pain/sciatica etc are created in the body to server as distractions from life events (loss of loved one, loss of job, family situations and so on).

Obviously it is an entire book and can't be summed up into two sentences exactly.

He also offers a cure.

Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy for 6 dollars.

Regards.

I'll check it out I was just going by a YouTube video on him. But I'm pretty sure mine was going down with a heavy squat and I felt shit ripping in my back.

I'm going through this right now, my L4 is herniated, (MRI report minor protrusion). I'm going through the epidural therapy and haven't been in the weight room in about for over a month. I'm doing stretching exercises for a bulging disc but no weights (just getting back to the point were I can walk really).

How can I safely train around this injury, more specifically leg training really I've always been a heavy squat guy (all compound moves) when comes to training, not many isolation movements except for arms.

All of my pain is sciatic nerve pain in my right leg my lower back feels fine.

Thanks!

My back is and has been a total wreck for several years...L5/S1 and L4...had 3-4 MRIs...ortho says I need the washer I call it...basically replace the disc cause its herniated out one side...I ignore him A) unless it's.a.steady nerve issue I find imo back surgeries worthless...idk many who have them and regain any greater mobility then before...they just dont hurt as much B)I would get rebooked on the meds...not gonna.lie...I would be bean poppin with my.patch on like it was yesterday...

I go to a cbiro.now.who does acupuncture...between that and my Teeter Hang Up....I do pretty good...sick g/compression bothers me still...

No back sqauts or Deads...and I avoid the leg sled the most ...outside of that hammer strenght stuff...dbs..cables...etc ....is all fine just be cautious and keep it lighter with more reps.

I have a dead L4 and L5 discs. 12 yrs ago I had two surgeons that wanted to fuse 3 verts together, I went to a third doc, this time at the UM hospital and he said I'd need fusion but not then. He told me what not to do and what to avoid and I listened for a while. Now that mine are dead and the spacing is minimal I have low back pain almost every morning but it loosens up as my back warms up. Sitting is horrible on it, have to focus on keeping an arched back. It's been getting progressively worse the last few years and I know I'm due but at least with them dead they can't bulge anymore. :)
Squats are brutal on me so I do more front squats and lighter back squats. Hack Squats don't bother me at all so I've been focusing on them more.

In your situation, let it heal, don't do anything to bother it or it will take that much longer. It sucks but in the long run you don't want to be where I'm sitting.

I'm going to ask the Doc about leg training after the next visit...........I'm sure he'll say stay away from squats and anything that will compress the spine.

I'll check it out I was just going by a YouTube video on him. But I'm pretty sure mine was going down with a heavy squat and I felt shit ripping in my back.

If you read the book, the human mind waits for opportunities like this or a MVA or something else to trigger the mechanism. Sometimes it can just be picking up a shoe off the floor.

I highly recommend for you and others on this forum to give it a read. Stop looking for the abridged version on youtube. Once you start reading you won't be able to put it down. At least that was my experience.

Regards

Back