PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Memory

snicol
01-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Just realized this would be a better thread to post this too.

Just wanted to talk for a moment about muscle memory. I was really big into lifting and fitness, and was sidelined for 3 years with multiple shoulder surgeries. Now that Im fully back on schedule and lifting again I notice how fast my strength has returned, and the muscles seem to just be growing back nonstop.
Having said that my question is, do ligaments and tendons retain that "muscle memory" type of rebound ability? My worry is that the tendons and such may suffer injury due to the inabilty to handle the workload that the muscles can handle. Curious if anyone has had any experience or knowledge about this...thanks

Seattlesbest
01-31-2016, 02:08 PM
For me no they do not. I came back after a 2 year injury. Went from 170 back to 200 in a month. Took about a year for my tendons to catch up. Tennis elbow, shoulder problems you name it. Now a year and a half later, only a shoulder problem. And its getting better.

snicol
01-31-2016, 02:12 PM
thanks for the reply I kind of have a feeling that i should kind of throttle back my enthusiasm, and even though my muscles are saying go I have to kind of keep it on cruise control for a few months at least. The last thing I want is to be right back in surgery not sure I can handle another shoulder surgery.

Seattlesbest
01-31-2016, 02:17 PM
thanks for the reply I kind of have a feeling that i should kind of throttle back my enthusiasm, and even though my muscles are saying go I have to kind of keep it on cruise control for a few months at least. The last thing I want is to be right back in surgery not sure I can handle another shoulder surgery.

YES! Just don't try to lift crazy weight. Just keep it moderate and high reps. I went heavy thinking I was super man and that's what fucked me up. Just take your time. You'll be where you were, and past that in no time.

HFO3
01-31-2016, 02:32 PM
I highly recommend you listen to your body, injuries take time, patience and rehab to heal. moving forward stay instinctive to that you'll be fine

aenergy
06-15-2016, 06:56 AM
Right, there is muscle memory, so u can quickly restore your previous form. Just be conscious about your injury.

TrainInsane89
06-19-2016, 06:17 AM
Ya like everyone said tendons and such do not catch up as quickly, it just like being on gear (muscle memory) you gain the mass so quickly you dont give it time for the tendons and ligaments to catch up. I hope my size comes back as quick as the guy who went from 170-200 in a month, ive been out for 6 months or so due to injries and life and I need to put 20lbs or so back on.

Janoy crevesa
06-19-2016, 08:10 AM
I highly recommend you listen to your body, injuries take time, patience and rehab to heal. moving forward stay instinctive to that you'll be fine this. just listen to your body. if you even have a slight ache either take the day off or don't do anything to aggravate it. A week off the gym is better than a few months.