PDA

View Full Version : Training Frequency (On Gear vs Natty) (High vs Low Volume)

Cgunner91
01-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Greetings gents,

Over the past few years of training I have heard conflicting opinions (schools of thought) in regards to the frequency of training while on gear versus natty training. For example: an old school 1970s high frequency and high volume training (6 days a week, each muscle group twice a week, high volume) versus a lower frequency routine (5 days a week, each muscle group once a week, low volume).

As a relatively younger lifter, I enjoy picking more experienced lifter's brains on this subject and adding the feather to my hat. I am currently on my second cycle. In the past I have found that training each muscle group once a week naturally had brought me decent gains but I felt I could have handled more. (My first cycle was primarily for fat loss). However, Dorian Yates himself emphasized rest - that lifting even more wasn't always optimal.

Yet, many of these old school lifters trained twice per day and (correct me if I'm wrong) I do not believe their cycle dosages were any higher than today's pros. Many lifters these days are of the thought that low volume, low frequency training gives you great gains as well and that you don't need to chase the "pump" or in some cases even go to failure at all. I have had many of the mass monsters in the gym tell me a lot of bro-science on this matter but other times they would back it up with A) what has obviously worked for them and B) actual science behind their training.

Me: I am 6'3" tall, 24 years old, currently on a Dbol/Test/Deca cycle.

I wish to try each muscle group twice a week. I have my old routine but I have also built an old school routine for myself similar to the one listed here below which I want to try:
https://boldanddetermined.com/the-old-school-70s-bodybuilding-routine/

Thoughts? What has worked for you?

Dante$
01-01-2016, 02:15 PM
to me on gear I definitely push more for longer, but everyone's different so you'll get all types of answers

Sent from my prepaid Boost phone

Cgunner91
01-01-2016, 02:21 PM
In the end, I guess that's just what it comes down to.

bbb33
01-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Well for me personally when I'm"on" I always train each muscle group twice a week. And hard as fuck too. Because obviously your ganna recoop quicker because you have a chemical advantage over somone doin it natty once a week. As long as your feeding yourself enough nutrition, you should be fine.

tgrady
01-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Big Muscle Groups 2x a week.
Small 3x a week.

Today from 5:30am to a little after 8am, I Hit Biceps, Triceps and Forearms. All until I was burnt out.

rside
01-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Dont be fooled about the old timers.Mike mentzer was known to use 2 grams of deca a week on top of other compounds and surge blasted tren beileve it or not in high amounts.As far as your question you have to feel it out as an induvidual because thats what it is.For me if i torch the chest on monday on cycle its ready again thursday.Off cycle its not ready to go until about friday or saturday for example.

GrilledCheddar
01-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Small 3x a week.

Today from 5:30am to a little after 8am, I Hit Biceps, Triceps and Forearms. All until I was burnt out.
Curious how your split is constructed

rside
01-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Small 3x a week.

This is about my frequency while blasting.

Cgunner91
01-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Thanks for all the input!

TouaregV8
01-02-2016, 05:05 AM
I have always trained each body part 1x per week. I believe that if you train with enough intensity and volume that you need this additional time for recovery. Keep in mind, even though I train each body part 1x per week, other muscle groups are still being trained indirectly on these days.

Roamer
01-02-2016, 05:21 AM
totally dependent upon volume, nutrition, gear, and believe it or not, I think PROTEIN is a big contributor to this.

Also type of workout would influence (heavy vs lightweight with higher reps)

Augustine5I
01-02-2016, 05:23 AM
I have always trained each body part 1x per week. I believe that if you train with enough intensity and volume that you need this additional time for recovery. Keep in mind, even though I train each body part 1x per week, other muscle groups are still being trained indirectly on these days.

I am on board with this too...

When I have tried to train each body part twice a week, I teetered on over training. But that is how my body works.

I think because I am hitting heavy weights, I need the extra recovery. Perhaps if I only trained with moderately heavy weight I could train with more frequency?

fever
01-02-2016, 05:41 AM
I like 2x a week per body part jacked or on trt, legs always only once cause I deadlift, squat and leg press leg day and go to complete failure. Every body is different the gear and consistency of meals and sleeping I feel is the biggest contributors, just gotta try what works for u.

bignasty
01-02-2016, 06:20 AM
I recently switched to 5 days a week high volume. But instead of a back and bi. chest tri split. I do chest bi and back and tri. For a couple weeks and switch back to normal splits. An old school bber told me to change it up like that every so often if normal splits tend to fizzle out progress. It seems to work. Also like touareg said your also indirectly working other muscle groups.

ckcrown84
01-02-2016, 07:41 AM
This thread is dumb
There is no correct answer
Every individual on gear or not had a maximal recoverable volume from which they can recover from.
Some people have a higher MRV than others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TouaregV8
01-02-2016, 11:17 AM
This thread clearly shows that there's more than one way to skin a cat. There are several well developed bros in here and we all train differently. At the end of the day you gotta do what works best for you and use the training philosophy that you believe in. There's no right or wrong answers.

malfeasance
01-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Mike mentzer was known to use 2 grams of deca a week on top of other compounds and surge blasted tren beileve it or not in high amounts.
Just curious where you are getting this information. I would love to read "real" information about pros' cycles, but all I can find is a bunch of bullshit - sometimes coming directly from the pro himself (like when they lie to magazines during interviews).