• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

What Olympic events are you looking forward to in London Games?

Basketball is going to be awesome. I also like watching judo, wrestling, archery, shooting, weightlifting of course. And definitely cant forget beach volleyball. Other than basketball I dont have any particular favorites to win anything, just simply a spectator and enjoy the competition.

Oh damn, can't forget Women's 100m hurdles. I am NOT missing my Australian Princess
I thought she wasn't doing the olympics?

(Love how we both know who that is.)

Thinking about putting money on Iran and Ukraine for weightlifting. Thoughts guys?

Thinking about putting money on Iran and Ukraine for weightlifting. Thoughts guys?

I actually think, in the lighter divisions, China will grab many of the 15 golds up for grabs.

I agree though, Salimi from Iran is a strong contender. I don't know about Ukraine, bro, I'm looking at Germany and Russia.

I'm seeing a friendly gentleman's gear wager on the horizon?

I actually think, in the lighter divisions, China will grab many of the 15 golds up for grabs.

I agree though, Salimi from Iran is a strong contender. I don't know about Ukraine, bro, I'm looking at Germany and Russia.

I'm seeing a friendly gentleman's gear wager on the horizon?

I'll agree on you for that, I think China will show strong in the lightest 3 categories. Vietnam's Tran is getting a lot of hype, and he might pull the lightest category. China has the next two in the bag though. They don't have many entries on the list, but who they have are really darn good (just goes to show you how great a 1+ billion population is when you want to find talent).

I'm calling it now BTW - Iran will take both the Silver AND the Gold for the 105kg+ category.

China is much weaker though than the last Olympics - they're not going to grab anywhere near as much medals as they did last time in 2008.

Looking through the list of contenders, some nations are really overrepresented. Lots of people from Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Turkey, Ukraine. These countries have just as much or more contenders than the "big countries" - any thoughts why?

Looking through the list of contenders, some nations are really overrepresented. Lots of people from Iran, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Turkey, Ukraine. These countries have just as much or more contenders than the "big countries" - any thoughts why?

It is a guess on my part, but I think it is a matter of priority on the part of the country's Olympic committee

I'll agree on you for that, I think China will show strong in the lightest 3 categories. Vietnam's Tran is getting a lot of hype, and he might pull the lightest category. China has the next two in the bag though. They don't have many entries on the list, but who they have are really darn good (just goes to show you how great a 1+ billion population is when you want to find talent).

I'm calling it now BTW - Iran will take both the Silver AND the Gold for the 105kg+ category.

China is much weaker though than the last Olympics - they're not going to grab anywhere near as much medals as they did last time in 2008.

I think Iran has the gold, but not the silver

It is a guess on my part, but I think it is a matter of priority on the part of the country's Olympic committee
Actually, I was going to suggest something genetic - something environmental/historical about the region produces better olympic weightlifters the same way E. Africa produces the best distance runners and W. Africa (and people of that descent) are better sprinters.

Actually, I was going to suggest something genetic - something environmental/historical about the region produces better olympic weightlifters the same way E. Africa produces the best distance runners and W. Africa (and people of that descent) are better sprinters.

So hard to know for sure. But, like everything out there, it is probably a little bit of nature, AND a little bit of nurture.

So hard to know for sure. But, like everything out there, it is probably a little bit of nature, AND a little bit of nurture.
I'm gonna call it nature. There are some biological differences we know about. East African runners have higher citrate synthase and 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase activity compared to caucasians according to one study. Not to mention the differences in body composition (more slow-titch vs fast twitch fibers). And living in an elevated place certainly helps.
I wager there's something about those half-caucasian/half-middle-eastern (can't think of a better way to describe them) populations like Azerbaijan/Iran that makes them better at oly lifting.
Related: why are most NFL and NBA players black?

hitler1.jpg

Last edited:
Salimi is unbelievable. Gold for sure.

I'm gonna call it nature. There are some biological differences we know about. East African runners have higher citrate synthase and 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase activity compared to caucasians according to one study. Not to mention the differences in body composition (more slow-titch vs fast twitch fibers). And living in an elevated place certainly helps.
I wager there's something about those half-caucasian/half-middle-eastern (can't think of a better way to describe them) populations like Azerbaijan/Iran that makes them better at oly lifting.
Related: why are most NFL and NBA players black?

hitler1.jpg

Definitely. There are those physiological differences. But, would such differences persist in the population if the were not selected for?

Definitely. There are those physiological differences. But, would such differences persist in the population if the were not selected for?
They most definitely were selected for.

I saw a special on this Mexican female boxer that was our national champ like 6 times and she made the olympic team...Id love to watch her fight and kick ass for us!
She has only lost one fight in nine years (shes still young) and she got a rematch and beat the shit out of that girl the second time...a girl from Venezuela I think...

Back