PDA

View Full Version : Where's my deadlifters?! (Powerlifting)

JaceBon
12-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Alright; so I'm currentlu maxing out at 450 pounds on a good day. I plan to start a nice 10-13 week cycle in late Jan and my goal is to get up to 500 by summer. My gains have been seeming to slow down lately though, anyone have any advice on how to power through it? Ive been keeping my DL reps jn the 3-6 range and every other time I'll pull two singles. Only kicker is I don't want to move up a weight class, theres a possibility of smashing a record if I stay in the 198.

Titan5011
12-05-2015, 10:08 PM
I'd say up the volume instead. Results from dead-lifts are usually seem best through volume. Personally I'd avoid regular dead-lifts and stick to Deficit-deads and Knee-pause deads. Myself and quite a number of others I know personally never saw many results from going heavy and sticking to doubles all the time. I do that once every 3 weeks but I still do the other two I mentioned as well on the same day.

JaceBon
12-05-2015, 10:50 PM
I was considering that, someone yold me rack pulls and high rep schemes helped him more than the 5-3-1 program which definitely surprised me, but after hearing so many say almost the same as you have I cant really argue. What rep scheme would you go with, 8s?

Titan5011
12-05-2015, 11:04 PM
I was considering that, someone yold me rack pulls and high rep schemes helped him more than the 5-3-1 program which definitely surprised me, but after hearing so many say almost the same as you have I cant really argue. What rep scheme would you go with, 8s?

Mine is laid out more like this:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AmZGdkeV0WE_dHZ6c2VtY3dLTHIxYTdEZ1BLVmJlS1 E&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0

One week focuses on reps, the next speed, and the last heavy. So my training is always the same, but also differet. Keeps hypertrophy going and nerve recruitment. I never stick to a said number for any of my lifts every week. Most power-lifters don't.

I do 3 different variations each day. Deads are: Competition style, deficit and dead-pause. The program I linked calls for block pulls. I don't have any blocks and after my first wave of deads I'm too lazy to set the weight on plates anyways. Pause deads are harder anyways and I feel them a lot better than block pulls. But that's just preference. I've based my training around that program with a few tweaks here and there like adding two bodybuilding days instead of one.

JaceBon
12-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Oh holy hell so you deadlift 3 days a week or is this an every week program? Ive only been DLing twice a week for a few months now. I do like that cube plan though, it makes sense.

Squat God
12-08-2015, 11:50 PM
I only deadlift once a week... sometimes as far a 10 days in between. But I go hard.
This March I pulled 530@166 (didn't make weight so I was a light 181)... recently pulled 405x12, though I rarely do reps like that. Last week my top set was 475x5. I like 5's 3's and 1's best. GHR's and sldl and goidmornings for assistance. .. not a fan of deficit pulls anymore to be honest.

Squat God
12-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Look up the Ed Coan / Phillipi program.. it's good for peaking I've used it.

s2h
12-09-2015, 06:45 AM
Alright; so I'm currentlu maxing out at 450 pounds on a good day. I plan to start a nice 10-13 week cycle in late Jan and my goal is to get up to 500 by summer. My gains have been seeming to slow down lately though, anyone have any advice on how to power through it? Ive been keeping my DL reps jn the 3-6 range and every other time I'll pull two singles. Only kicker is I don't want to move up a weight class, theres a possibility of smashing a record if I stay in the 198.

box squats....not super heavy but explosive ...once a week not on leg day

theneed
12-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Hey Man - - I just started deading again since the knee replacement on my non-squat leg days. Nothing like a great deading workout. My buddies' girl is figure chick - - chick reps with 275. . .

Tooth
12-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Squats can build your deads, especially front squats. If your a small dude check out Hawthorne's (the ant) stuff, if your a big dude check out Bolton, Hall, or Benny's stuff. A little tweak of technique can give you some faster gains.