• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Any HVAC experts in the house?

Leotis

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My central heat and air unit is fucked up....AGAIN! The fan runs, everything fires up and runs fine...it just won't heat or cool? Any idea what I'm looking at? I may try to fix it myself if possible, rather than call someone out here again for the 7th time in 5 years.

This unit is a piece o' SHIT! :wits:

Ran heat yet? Pilot lit? All electric- heat pump? Biggest question- what "fixed" it last time, why do you keep using this service tech and can you afford to replace with a more efficient, lower maintenance model?
Compressor pulling in? Good air flow. Million things can go wrong, need more info. Will freon for gearz! :call me:

All electric. Yep... ran heat to test it after the AC crapped out. Last time, a big ass capacitor popped in the unit outside IIRC. We bought this house new and have had problems with that piece of shit since day one.

I replace my filters every 3 months there, Farvabeans...

Heat pump? If it is heat or cool won't work if freon is low.

Fairly easy to top off a unit- almost always need it. Use the right refrigerant, add to the suction side and see what happens.

Fairly easy to top off a unit- almost always need it. Use the right refrigerant, add to the suction side and see what happens.

I'll give that a crack this afternoon. Thanks man! I'll get out there and poke around in it a bit...

Central HVAC systems are a sealed system and should never need pureon or freon added. If there's a leak it needs to be found and repaired. If it's freon (R-22) it can be expensive to keep refilling. R-22 isn't produced anymore. Anything you get these days is recycled.

Central HVAC systems are a sealed system and should never need pureon or freon added. If there's a leak it needs to be found and repaired. If it's freon (R-22) it can be expensive to keep refilling. R-22 isn't produced anymore. Anything you get these days is recycled.
This^

Also check condenser coil (outside unit) and see how dirty it is. You should hose it down every other time you mow grass. If it's dirty take the top cover off and spray it from the inside out.
How old is the system?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My central heat and air unit is fucked up....AGAIN! The fan runs, everything fires up and runs fine...it just won't heat or cool? Any idea what I'm looking at? I may try to fix it myself if possible, rather than call someone out here again for the 7th time in 5 years.

This unit is a piece o' SHIT! :wits:

If the fan kicks but the burners don't... or if the burners kick and turn off right away... you have a bad limit switch. Which is easy to fix if you have or can obtain the manual online.
Your furnace should have a light in the control board. When there's an error the light will have a blink sequence. On the inside of the cover there should be a list of errors with the corresponding blink sequence.
I bet money's it's a limit switch...
Unless it a lenox. Those fuckers goofy.

IML Gear Cream!
it wont heat or cool? I just had the same problem last march it was just a bad thermostat. I would try replacing the thermostat first, its pretty simple. make sure to pull the breaker first you could short out both the new thermostat and the A/C unit itself, sometimes they have an internal fuse as well check that too.

Mine has gone out like 7 times over the last 10 years also. I have fixed it every time and the failures are all over the map. Lemon carrier unit.

R-22 is being obsolete now so it expensive as hell. R410A is the new gas its environmentally friendly. But make sure you have a r410a system

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This thing is like 5 years old. Pretty sure it's the Brokedick 5000 by Squirrelpool.

R-22 is being obsolete now so it expensive as hell. R410A is the new gas its environmentally friendly. But make sure you have a r410a system

I doubt its low freon he said it wont heat or cool, you should start at components that have common circiuts that would disable both systems

This thing is like 5 years old. Pretty sure it's the Brokedick 5000 by Squirrelpool.
try a thermostat, get it from home depot and be careful with the packaging so you can return it

Then thats going to be a compreser issue. If its low on freon a good tail sighn is unit will be froze up around the compresser. Sounds like compresser is not running. If its not they make a hard start that goes on the compastor and sends more power to turn the compresser on. This can be a cheap fix and works %50 of the time.

Get Shredded!
I doubt its low freon he said it wont heat or cool, you should start at components that have common circiuts that would disable both systems

It's a heat pump, not a split system. The outdoor compressor creates the heating and cooling by running the refrigerant forward or reverse.
If the outdoor unit is on and indoor unit but blowing room temp air then it will be a refrigerant issue like a kinked line set or out of juice. If the outdoor unit doesn't kick on then the problem will be an electrical issue. Whether it be breaker, fuses, 24v control wire, fan motor or compressor. It may just need a hard start kit installed. No one can really say for sure without diagnosing the unit in person. I've owned a big HVAC company for the last 10 years. Think I know what I'm talking about here. I'd hate to see you waste your money on a stat. The odds of it being your stat aren't very high.

If you take the cover off the thermostat and take a picture of the wires and were they go. I can tell you how to jump it that way you want buy a t-stat for nothing

It's a heat pump, not a split system. The outdoor compressor creates the heating and cooling by running the refrigerant forward or reverse.
If the outdoor unit is on and indoor unit but blowing room temp air then it will be a refrigerant issue like a kinked line set or out of juice. If the outdoor unit doesn't kick on then the problem will be an electrical issue. Whether it be breaker, fuses, 24v control wire, fan motor or compressor. It may just need a hard start kit installed. No one can really say for sure without diagnosing the unit in person. I've owned a big HVAC company for the last 10 years. Think I know what I'm talking about here. I'd hate to see you waste your money on a stat. The odds of it being your stat aren't very high.
Exactly I'm a hvac installer have been for 12 years. Figured i would get him to take a picture of the inside of the t-stat that way i could tell him how to jump it. But i really dont believe thats the problem. It could be endless control board burnt wires. With out a meter and someone who no how to use it there's no way of telling.

I think I'll just drop a pipe bomb in it and then call somebody tomorrow morning. :thinking:

This thing is really eating into my fuckin' off time...

Exactly. He said multiple times it's an electric system (heat pump) but guys still talking about burners. The condenser is the heater and ac system. The fan coil is only just that. A fan and a coil lol. The entire system is only electric and refrigerant. Very very easy system to diagnose due to lack of multiple parts that can go wrong. There's no control board. The 24v control wires from the compressor tie directly to the stat wire and only a couple of the stat wire tie to the fan coil to send the signal to run the fan and get 24v power. Heat pumps are as basic as you can get.

not trying to argue with you experienced HVAC guys, but if the stat doesn't work you return it and get your money back so essentially it cost you nothing to try it. and its super easy to replace just get a simple one. I fix everything at my house, when I'm on the road my wife called a guy and cost $100 for him to look at it and he didnt fix it. i bought a stat and bam done.

just a tip, whenever I troubleshoot stuff I look at items that people touch first and 99% of the time you'll find that it was either worn out from use or someone broke it. people have a tendency to induce failures

If its a heat pump and it has leaked before odds are the last guy topped it off and never fixed the leak. Seen this a hundred times easy.

18y of being a industrial and commercial hvac service tech.
If the compressor and both fans run. It is low on charge or airflow issue filter plugged coil ect

If its a heat pump and it has leaked before odds are the last guy topped it off and never fixed the leak. Seen this a hundred times easy.

Job security lol

I'm not an expert.

I can't help you.

hope this helps.

Back