• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Pinched nerve... Now what?

gweggy

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Looking for everyone's advice.
Three weeks ago I noticed a small pain in my neck at the gym after doing shoulder BB shoulder presses, nothing big. Next day when I woke up and reached to get my coffee mug from the top shelf I didn't have the strength to hold it and my arm fell. I tried to hold it out front of me and it would just drop. Tried it to the side, same thing. I called the physiotherapist and made an appointment. They said pinched nerve at C5 C6 and my shoulder and bicep are not getting the proper signal to fire. She said not to do any lifting using those muscles. Three weeks of therapy later she gives the go ahead. My shoulder and bicep still twitch and get fatigued very quickly. Yesterday I try shoulder presses warm up with 30 lbs DB and was so fatigued after only 8 reps in that one arm. Tried side laterals and could barely get 10 reps with 10lbs, and noticed that I would involuntarily squeeze my trap. When I returned the DB to neutral my right shoulder would be in a shrug. So onto biceps. DB curls 15's felt ok but 20's were a no go. Not even 1. Before all this, DBpresses with 80's, side laterals with 25's, DB curls with 45's. Bench press, Rows, pull downs, triceps, no problems. Pull ups are noticeably weaker after 12reps.
So guys what to do? I've been working my legs like crazy and doing light bench and rows. Do I avoid shoulders and Biceps all together? Or work with weights it can handle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey bro had the same thing only it was a crushed nerve find a chiropractor who does A R T therapy it got me back faster than all the other bullshit physical therapy

If the cause of the pinched nerve is a bulging or herniated disc, this is something that may take several weeks to even a few months [or more] to resolve itself. To be honest it's just going to take time, I'd continue lifting and doing what you can in the gym. Most doctors and chiropractors will tell you no overhead presses, but I never listened to this advice. I suffered a herniated disc in my neck (C6-C7) in 2008. Dr put me on a short run of prednisone, went to an acupuncturist for a few weeks, then a chiro for awhile. I still get occasional flare ups. My last flare up lasted a couple months, I was getting electrical pulses/tingling down my right arm when I would raise my head and look upward.

Whatever you do, try not to let them talk you into a discectomy. I had C5-6 done via anterior done a year and a half ago. Cadaver bones and a plate later, I still feel twinges.
Occasional numbness in my right arm and cramping in my right hand is starting all over again.

Yeah man... any invasive procedure should always be a last resort, IMHO.

Three weeks ago I noticed a small pain in my neck at the gym after doing shoulder BB shoulder presses, nothing big. Next day when I woke up and reached to get my coffee mug from the top shelf I didn't have the strength to hold it and my arm fell. I tried to hold it out front of me and it would just drop. Tried it to the side, same thing. I called the physiotherapist and made an appointment. They said pinched nerve at C5 C6 and my shoulder and bicep are not getting the proper signal to fire. She said not to do any lifting using those muscles. Three weeks of therapy later she gives the go ahead. My shoulder and bicep still twitch and get fatigued very quickly. Yesterday I try shoulder presses warm up with 30 lbs DB and was so fatigued after only 8 reps in that one arm. Tried side laterals and could barely get 10 reps with 10lbs, and noticed that I would involuntarily squeeze my trap. When I returned the DB to neutral my right shoulder would be in a shrug. So onto biceps. DB curls 15's felt ok but 20's were a no go. Not even 1. Before all this, DBpresses with 80's, side laterals with 25's, DB curls with 45's. Bench press, Rows, pull downs, triceps, no problems. Pull ups are noticeably weaker after 12reps.
So guys what to do? I've been working my legs like crazy and doing light bench and rows. Do I avoid shoulders and Biceps all together? Or work with weights it can handle?

Hey bro sorry to hear about your problems. I can relate, I have a herniated disc at L5-S1, L4-L5, and a broad based bulge at L3-L4. Happened 12 years ago and I still have problems to this day. It's really debilitating because the pain can be overwhelming but worse is the sciatica (the pain is incredible) but the nerve gets pinched and my left leg stops working very well (that's the short explanation).
Anyways you can get lynocaine injections into the muscle groups over the nerve to decrease the pressure on the nerve, but what I have found to work the best over the years is an epidural infection of cortisone into the space that the nerve is being pinched in. You can get up to three injections a week apart. I have only ever had two in a row and my back is just short of being a surgical case.
I was in a limbo of pain and painkillers for about 10-12 months with nothing working. I had been told never to do cortisone shots because they dry out your joints and you have to keep getting them all the time... Nothing could be further from the truth, it actually works opposite that way. My first two shots lasted 6 months (you can get 3 shots every 6 months if needed). Next two lasted about 14 months and the last two lasted about 7-8 years! Just waiting on my next set of shots hopefully within the next 2 weeks so I can start my intense cut cycle I will be logging on a thread on Taptalk as part of my launching of my new website hopefully in January. Still looking for help from some labs.
Xsbobber is the man and is coming through with some goodies...but I digress.. .
Gweggy man I feel your pain honestly if you talk to your Dr. About what I have mentioned you should be able to get the relief you're looking for. They usually will start with the lynocaine shots first, but tell them you want the epidural so you won't have wait longer.
Hope that helps,
K2

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I second the epidurals! I've had about 3 cycles of them done over the last two years and they've been an absolute game changer for me. I've got the same L4-L5, L5-S1 issues (along with a sacrum that had multiple zone II fractures running through the anterior foramina) and these have made going back to the gym not only possible, but possible at close to the same levels of intensity I was able to do before my accident. The only exercise I've had to cut out are heavy barbell squats.

When the therapist gave you the go ahead, are you saying that your condition was much improved? What was your perceived percentage of improvement?

You have to think about your injury. Soft tissue that is hurt/healing doesn't respond the same way as healthy soft tissue. So the no pain no gain thing doesn't work.

It appears that your injury has left you with some weakness...and the current demand you are placing on it is too great at this moment.

Nerves take a long time to heal (many months). So take your time and do what you can, but don't attempt more then that. Being weaker in these areas can open you up to new injuries (muscle tears, tendonitis, etc).

I suggest you get a cervical traction unit for use at home. Do it everyday. And use cold packs to the neck to keep inflammation around the nerve down.

Regards

i had pretty much the same thing happen about 7 months ago. i went to chiro but he was unable to unpinch the nerve. he told me that nerve would probably die out but other would step up and i could get strength back. well up until about a month ago i still couldnt do a single pull up or curl much weight. i has gotten better and but i was stuck at hammer curling 20's for a few months now i can get 60's about 4x but form is bad. this is coming from hammer curling 100's 10x

good luck with everything and im looking for more input as well

IML Gear Cream!
Thanks everyone. I'll take everyone's input into consideration. I see my family doctor on the 15th.
I googled the A R T therapy and there is one near my work in Ajax.
She gave me the go ahead to use light weights. Which I did yesterday and must say today my bi and delt are a little sore from DOMS but No further neck pain, tenderness or weakness that wasn't already there. She did warn me about possibly injuring it or something else if I was to force myself.
I guess I'll have some set of wheels doing legs all the time. Lol
I'll keep updating this as time goes on.
I read somewhere HGH site injections may help. Any thoughts on that?
Again thanks all!

i was injecting real igf to the site but i dont think it helped. im not sure about HGH

Things have gotten a little better. There is this weird electric shock feeling once and a while also feels like the muscle is crawling under the skin. Strength is coming back slowly. After a workout the anterior and posterior delt get pretty sore compared to my good shoulder. One thing that is different is that I can't flex, contract or activate my right bicep fully. This has my gym motivation slowing down. I have been going 3 or 4 times a week just to keep things moving.

Anyone recommend a low dose cycle for joint health.

Back