• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Autoclave vs convection oven

bigdog78

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
How many of you guys use autoclaves to sterilize your vials and other stuff. I have one, but not sure if I need it. Just looking for everyone's opinions. I've heard that the oven works just as well. I have a chance to sell the autoclave. If I don't need it that's what I'm going to do.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The oven does work but only to dry your glass, you still need to sterilize it with a pressure cooker and distilled water. (What i use)
An autoclave will definitely save you time in the long run, especially if you are brewing 30+ bottles a session.
Anything less it isnt really needed

How many of you guys use autoclaves to sterilize your vials and other stuff. I have one, but not sure if I need it. Just looking for everyone's opinions. I've heard that the oven works just as well. I have a chance to sell the autoclave. If I don't need it that's what I'm going to do.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Ive been brewing since early 2000 and have always used the oven. Never have I had any issues with infections. I bake them for 2 hours at 500 degrees. I let them soak in iso alcohol over night then bake. The stoppers I bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees wrapped in foil. Have always been good.

Ive been brewing since early 2000 and have always used the oven. Never have I had any issues with infections. I bake them for 2 hours at 500 degrees. I let them soak in iso alcohol over night then bake. The stoppers I bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees wrapped in foil. Have always been good.

Two hours? I'm sure it works but I don't have time like that to wait around. What I do is soak them in alcohol for 10 minutes, strain them, boil everything in distilled water for 5 minutes then put tin foil over a cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 mins. Bottles and stoppers all at once. Works every time

Last edited:
Never heard of it being done like that before. I will try it out like that once. This was how I was taught back then and never changed it. I always do them on a day off and do anough for awhile.

Back