• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Combat Vets, chime in!

Poirot

Swollen Member
Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
August 1990, Saudi
Oorah!

Spent a lot of time on a LST, was happy to be on terra firma.

902d0317b110573fdb4c49b68d1bf187.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

2010-2011 Pech River Valley Afghanistan.

No pics though

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

My son wants to ne a marine, yes or no? Can he get a college education out of it?

My son wants to ne a marine, yes or no? Can he get a college education out of it?

Tell him to go to school get a degree, become a officer skip alot of bull shit.

YES and YES....I did, went to UT, became a successful business major and entrepreneur. I've always enjoyed business and the art of making a profit. The Corp taught me discipline, respect and situational awareness, that shit is priceless in today's society. Hindsight I should've gone to OCS, but at that point in my life I wanted to get out and spend time with my father before he passed. It was the most difficult time of my life. ......anyway, every young man should spend time in the military, it builds charecter and can shape them into a respectable human being.

Last edited:

This. If I had to do it over that's what I would do. If he gets his AA he can still go in as a officer and they should pay his schooling.

At the same time dealing with dumbass enlisted can be fun too.

Can he get a paid education while hes enlisted?
He will be constantly educated while in.....afterwards he can continue education under the GI Bill....other benefits are VA loans and, TriCare health insurance, it gets even better if you do your 20 and retire, you're covered for life.

Yes. I've been out a while but when I was in they covered 75% of tuition up to 3500 per semester. Then when you got out you could use your GI Bill

Edit. I think I'm of on the costs they cover but it is a damn good deal as far as want they will cover

How do you go to college while serving?

Night classes, online classes, etc.

the internet is awesome for that for the kids in now. In the late 80's/early 90's, I didn't have that option.

2011-2012 Salar Afghanistan!

Army 11B of course ;)

Was active duty but decided to get out for good. Got a lot of t-shirts along the way, lol. Good to see some fellow legs around here!

How do you go to college while serving?

I spent 6 years in the Marines. I was a Satellite Comm Tech. It was a fairly cush job. I was off at 4:30 most every day. I went to college for a year straight 6-9 every night.

It can happen depending on the job he signs up for. I had no plans on being a bullet catcher so I chose a field in technology so when I did get out I had military schooling and OJT at the same time.

I spent 6 years in the Marines. I was a Satellite Comm Tech. It was a fairly cush job. I was off at 4:30 most every day. I went to college for a year straight 6-9 every night.

It can happen depending on the job he signs up for. I had no plans on being a bullet catcher so I chose a field in technology so when I did get out I had military schooling and OJT at the same time.
Good info. Hes a very smart kid, i just dont want to see him waste time. He knows he needs to get an education and the military would give him some great experience.

Good info. Hes a very smart kid, i just dont want to see him waste time. He knows he needs to get an education and the military would give him some great experience.
Have him pick a job that will benefit him in civilian life unless he want to be a lifer.

Have him pick a job that will benefit him in civilian life unless he want to be a lifer.

hes talking about being either a mechanical or optical engineer. Any suggestions?

Only advice I have is not to sign any contract until he is guarenteed the job he wants.

I got screwed out of air traffic control because of 1 damn point on my asvab score. I got my back up job but because I took the test and signed up the same day I couldn't retake the test. Once you "enlist" you have to wait 2 years to retake the asvab. I should have said fuck you I ain't going but being young and not knowing any better I went anyway.

August 1990, Saudi
Oorah!

Spent a lot of time on a LST, was happy to be on terra firma.

902d0317b110573fdb4c49b68d1bf187.jpg

Ty for your service Marine

I was talking to a recruiter in highschool at 16yrs old...i was a troubled youth and really wanted to join..my mother talked me out of it being her only son and i took some wrong paths after that..

Wish i would have enlisted now at 41yrs old and even though i despise our govt..i feel it would have taught me alot at that age and given me more options..

As for my daughters id rather they get scholarships in academics,,,sports or just have me or aid pay for there schooling then join the service to do it...i feel this would be a better route seeing there lifes choices at this point are much different then mine at there ages...howevet i would support there decision to enlist if that was the case

exactly what he said, guns and explosives sound fun but being able to kill from 1000 yards translates to no expirience on a resume. aircraft engine overhaul or test cell operator and he can make good money with that experience, also as an engineer every engine facility needs a few of them, theirs a lot of math involved in dialing in performance

Fuck that. I am so grateful I went enlisted first. OE pay, plus you don't have any school loans to pay off. Seriously. Not to mention enlisted completely shit on the bitch lt's that come in thinking they know everything. I wouldn't trade my enlisted experience for anything in the world.

^^to clarify I never went gold, I'm not an officer. Sounds like I am by the way I worded that. I'm not. Don't ever plan to be.

Fuck that. I am so grateful I went enlisted first. OE pay, plus you don't have any school loans to pay off. Seriously. Not to mention enlisted completely shit on the bitch lt's that come in thinking they know everything. I wouldn't trade my enlisted experience for anything in the world.

The army is now paying off student loans to get you to enlist as a bonus.

Actually they were but now that that faggot Obama has cut our military it might not be that way any more.

The military can't pay for shit, I highly doubt their program for paying off loans is as good as it sounds. But, if so, that's pretty neat. Still...no offense to any officers out there...not my style.

A smart young person would go medical or aviation depending on their goal later on in life.

The military can't pay for shit, I highly doubt their program for paying off loans is as good as it sounds. But, if so, that's pretty neat. Still...no offense to any officers out there...not my style.

They will pay. When I was going to eas my MOS had a multiple of 5. That means if I would have reenlisted I would have got a bonus of just over 32k tax free the day I signed the papers.

I'm enlisted too btw

A smart young person would go medical or aviation depending on their goal later on in life.

Aviation is nice but when I was in they promoted like shit. Guys weren't making it past E-3 after 4 years. Just the education and training alone is awesome but it's a real kick in the nuts not to get promoted when you work your ass off.

I'm also talking about the USMC can't say what other branches promotions are like.

I'm also talking about the USMC can't say what other branches promotions are like.
The Corp is the only one that matters.....

Back