• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

close grip press

namessuck

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I'm curious how much people on here can close grip bench press (hands 6" apart) no one in my gym does them and I can damn near do 315 which is as much as my wide grip. I always thought close grip is harder?

I like to do close grip high reps, really feel it in the tris.

Right now my current bench day is:

5 x 5 normal grip bench press (paused)
4 x 6 close grip bench press (heavy)
3 x 12 wide grip bench press (3 sec negative)

Then all the accessory lifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked up to 295lbs last night for a set of 8 reps. I never see anyone in my gym doing them either. And yes, close grip is supposed to be harder than a regular bench press grip. It is for me at least...

I used to use narrow grip with ez curl bar at the end of chest day and rep to failure.

Think I am going to start doing that again.

I do all my heavy benching fairly close grip...about 10-12" apart....I learned to do it this way after having 3 shoulder surgeries....my bench is almost all triceps....

I'll occasionally go to the narrow 6" grip heavy...I can't say I recall using more than 315 this narrow...it's not a problem for me, but I'll bet I would be hard pressed to go over 365 this way....so I'm way off my standard benching this narrow.

Off topic the other way is inclines which is newer for me this year going heavy...I'm not too far off my standard bench....I've been up to 465 on it.

Last edited:
I used to use narrow grip with ez curl bar at the end of chest day and rep to failure.

Think I am going to start doing that again.

How much weight?

You could superset it with skull crushers while you're laying down with it in your hands is my thinking

IML Gear Cream!
I like close grips but feel them more in my chest than my triceps. Years ago I had an old timer show me how to do decline close grips on a smith machine. I bring the bar to my lower chest, and feel it all in my triceps.

Shit hurts my wrist when I do i with the barbell. EZ curl bar is much easier. Still don't do them that often

How much weight?

You could superset it with skull crushers while you're laying down with it in your hands is my thinking

I use to do CG with an EZ. Your CG weight would be too heavy for skulls IMO

I agree,it is hard on my wrists,I guess it might be easier for others,but it kills my wrist

Just a ez bar for tris that way takes alot of pressure off wrists. Remember to keep elbows close to torso this has worked 4 me.

Back