• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Life insurance and suicide. The rule?

Dannie

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
If you have life insurance for your loved ones and commit suicide, does the insurance company still pay out the policy?
Just wondering if that's true or not. Thx.

You wanna get married and kill yourself?

Usually there is a provision where it does not pay in the event of suicide.

If you have life insurance for your loved ones and commit suicide, does the insurance company still pay out the policy?
Depends on the policy. Some have no suicide provisions (but doing stupid shit and dying is ok).

Put gun in mouth and pull trigger = no pay.
Shoot self in face while.cleaning barrel = paid no problem.

NOPE! Looked into it. Your insurance will NOT pay out if you off yourself. At least the company I was dealing with had a clause. I specifically asked about it lolz.

most insurance companies won't pay out in the event of suicide and many have a waiting period of 6 mths to a yr before they would pay out at all

I looked into it whenI was facing down the idea of bone cancer

Last edited:
Obviously, hope ur not planning something stupid...

Remember that even if they don't have rules on suicide, some insurance policies (really common on liability, but I've seen life insurance ones mention it too) do not cover you for an incident if you are in the middle of committing a felony at the time. Suicide, at least in the USA, is considered a felony (not that they can prosecute you for it, but it makes that whole insurance business take care of itself :) )

Just another "gotcha" from the lawyers to keep in mind

Depends on the policy. Some have no suicide provisions (but doing stupid shit and dying is ok).

Put gun in mouth and pull trigger = no pay.
Shoot self in face while.cleaning barrel = paid no problem.
I knew I could count on you when it comes to the legal matter.

NOPE! Looked into it. Your insurance will NOT pay out if you off yourself. At least the company I was dealing with had a clause. I specifically asked about it lolz.
I wonder how often they get asked these questions.

I believe mine pays after two years.........:coffee:

Obviously, hope ur not planning something stupid...

Remember that even if they don't have rules on suicide, some insurance policies (really common on liability, but I've seen life insurance ones mention it too) do not cover you for an incident if you are in the middle of committing a felony at the time. Suicide, at least in the USA, is considered a felony (not that they can prosecute you for it, but it makes that whole insurance business take care of itself :) )

Just another "gotcha" from the lawyers to keep in mind

Great, info right there.
Repped.

Idiot question. My brother did this 4 years ago.. no you don't get compensation for self harm.

WINNER... Life insurance will pay after 2 years. This could vary sate to state but in my state is the law.

Drive into a semi, problem solved. :coffee:
Did it at 110mph with no seatbelt. Walked away. Nothing is a guarantee in this world. FTR it was an accident. I never saw the fucking thing but I felt it.

^^ yeah my step brother did that in his bmw but a pole ..not intentional but hit it at like a 120 mph...car was split in two
he walked with a bruise on his eyebrow from one of the airbags (maybe curtain)

nothing is a guarantee

My neighbor, three years ago was having a rough time at work. He was super OCD and stressing hard about his problem. Went and saw a shrink about it on a Tuesday with a follow up the next Tuesday. The monday before the follow up he waited for his wife to take the kids to school and put a gun in his mouth in their garage. His insurance paid. Not sure why, but I think it might have had to do with him being to see the shrink first. Just my hunch.

My neighbor, three years ago was having a rough time at work. He was super OCD and stressing hard about his problem. Went and saw a shrink about it on a Tuesday with a follow up the next Tuesday. The monday before the follow up he waited for his wife to take the kids to school and put a gun in his mouth in their garage. His insurance paid. Not sure why, but I think it might have had to do with him being to see the shrink first. Just my hunch.

I think it has to do with who the policy holder is. If his wide paid for the life insurance through her work... shouldn't she get the benefit she was paying for. The element of fraud is removed.

I think it has to do with who the policy holder is. If his wide paid for the life insurance through her work... shouldn't she get the benefit she was paying for. The element of fraud is removed.
I'm sure on a case by case basis this as well as exclusions considered SOP by the carrier or possibly endorsements paid for by the policy holder will ultimately be the deciding factor and probably frequently winds up in litigation and arbitration. I have no personal experience with life insurance, but I do deal with enough claims to know that there is generally nothing set in stone policy to policy unless a state has passed specific legislation on a specific point and even that will be fought by a carrier if there is grey area and a large settlement to be paid.

That's what I've seen as well, last time I read a policy.

Long waiting period if you're planning to off yourself. That's probably good enough to filter out most of the people buying the insurance explicitly to cash in on it quickly.

Get Shredded!
this thread sux. why dafuk are you guys talking about suicide? having personal experience with a close family member committing suicide I can honestly tell you that no amount of money will cure the sorrow. end of fucking discussion.

this thread sux. why dafuk are you guys talking about suicide? having personal experience with a close family member committing suicide I can honestly tell you that no amount of money will cure the sorrow. end of fucking discussion.

My brother put a gun under his chin 23 years ago in my parents house, they still ain't right........:coffee:

Nope and you can only cope no matter how bad you want them back. My brother didnt get to see my wedding and he wont be able to see his first nephew.. there will always be a void, plus im an only child now so I had a lot of pressure on me after he was gone. I seem to be okay, but unfortunately drug addiction is controlling my emotions these days.

Last edited:
My BIL's paid. I believe he fell past the 2 year clause when he pulled the trigger.

My brother put a gun under his chin 23 years ago in my parents house, they still ain't right........:coffee:

guns under chins seem to be a common theme in my husbands family...his cousin (who was like a brother to him and virtually his twin) managed it with a fuckin muzzle loader...

I'm very sorry for your family's loss

I did a call once where the gentleman had terminal cancer...he managed to get three rounds off into his head (semi auto-finger jerk and the thing was wedged in his mouth)

I can honestly say that even though he was ultimately going to die anyway and I respect his need to end things on his own terms his family was 100% devastated and felt robbed of more time with him
it wasn't something he had discussed with them first you know...so even in that circumstance it really fucks family up.

When I bought coverage 12 years ago it was term-life, suicide or crime death within 2 years of purchase would not pay. After, it pays.

Back