• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Milk Thisle

macterthemartyr

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I've heard so many different stories... Some say it is a pure placebo, on the other hand the other half say it is a must for any cycle. I personally know people that have been just fine off it. Same goes with those running it during cycle. I ran it on my first cycle.. If it is helpful, what is the dosage? I believe it is just an added cost that I could be spending on cottage cheese for the gains lol. Looking for input.. Thanks.

I can tell you that it will not hurt one bit to run it, I would also recommend NAC from GNC, I am not a GNC fan but that is one product I will not run out of!!

Milk thistle is one that will,be debated back and fourth for a long time. But if this is for during your cycle. I recommend getting an all in one support supplement. This way you will,probable pay about the same money for a month supply. Except you get so much more.
There are a few of the top of my head.

Iml advanced cycle support
Cycle assist
Cycle support
Damage control by lgi. This includes tudca!
Imr tudca . You can by this through iron mag research and get one of the first few supplements mentioned. You can't go wrong.
Liv 52 is another great support supp.

All I can say is TUDCA IS THE REAL DEAL! Had blood work and they called wanting to know if I was a binge drinker. I said no sober over 20 years. LOL....started dosing TUDCA went back in little over 2 weeks and liver function was back in accepted range....yes I was dosing it above recommended dosages in those few weeks before having blood redone

All I can say is TUDCA IS THE REAL DEAL! Had blood work and they called wanting to know if I was a binge drinker. I said no sober over 20 years. LOL....started dosing TUDCA went back in little over 2 weeks and liver function was back in accepted range....yes I was dosing it above recommended dosages in those few weeks before having blood redone
Agree with bigbumpkin. Tudca is the real deal. If you take this with just one of those all in one supps above. Your gonna have the best bloods you've ever gotten on cycle. Period! If your gonna spend serious $$$ on your cycle. Don't you wanna make sure you have the best support supps to he keep everything in optimal range!! Why wait til your blood work says you need it. Do it during cycle before your blood work . then when your blood work look good you have nothing to,worry about.

My vet put one of my dogs on a liver support medication. The main ingredient is milk thistle. If it's good enough for my dog it's good enough for me. LOL.

ADVANCED CYCLE SUPPORT RX™ CONTAINS 7 KEY INGREDIENTS FOR COMPLETE ‘ON CYCLE’ PROTECTION.

Milk Thistle (Silybum marianum) – One function of the liver is to detoxify and remove toxins, including heavy metals and chemotherapy, from the body. Milk thistle is a liver protective. It is an antioxidant that helps repair damaged liver cells. Studies have shown evidence that silymarin acts almost solely on the liver and kidney. The antioxidant properties in silymarin are believed to be the protective factors. Laboratory studies demonstrate that silymarin functions as a potent antioxidant, stabilizes cellular membranes, stimulates detoxification pathways, stimulates regeneration of liver tissue, inhibits the growth of certain cancer cell lines, exerts direct cytotoxic activity toward certain cancer cell lines.

NAC (N-Acetylcysteine) – NAC can help to prevent damage to the liver being a powerful anti-oxidant and cell detoxification co-factor, NAC works to eliminate your body of free radicals and heavy metals. N-Acetyl-Cysteine is currently the dietary supplement of choice for building up cysteine or conserving the body’s store of Glutathione, Cysteine and other Sulfhydryl anti-oxidant resources. This is very crucial for the body’s life functions, as NAC helps the body neutralize toxins, heavy metals, such as mercury.

Hawthorne Berry – is highly recognized herb for the heart and cardiovascular system. It has the ability to dilate (enlarge or open) the coronary arteries (the vessels that supply blood to the heart), thus improving blood and oxygen supply to the heart muscle. It also strengthens the hearts pumping ability (muscle), helping the heart to beat more forcefully and efficiently. In addition, hawthorne appears to dilate the highways of other blood vessels around the body, thereby allowing blood to circulate more freely with less strain on the heart. Another benefit of hawthorne berry is that it harbors potent antioxidant properties, which are believed to exert cholesterol lowering effects and reduce the accumulation of fatty plague in the arteries – the hallmark of atherosclerosis.

Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) – is used popularly in Europe for symptoms associated with benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlargement of the prostate). Although not considered standard of care in the United States, it is the most popular herbal treatment for this condition. Saw palmetto was listed in the United States Pharmacopeia from 1906 to 1917 and in the National Formulary from 1926 to 1950. Saw palmetto extract is a licensed product in several European countries. Multiple mechanisms of action have been proposed, and saw palmetto appears to possess 5-?-reductase inhibitory activity (thereby preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone). Hormonal/estrogenic effects have also been reported, as well as direct inhibitory effects on androgen receptors and anti-inflammatory properties.

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) – boosts energy, enhances the immune system, and acts as an antioxidant. Clinical research suggests that using coenzyme Q10 supplements alone or in combination with other drug therapies and nutritional supplements may help prevent or treat some of the following conditions: Heart disease, High blood pressure and High cholesterol. Researchers believe that the beneficial effect of CoQ10 in the prevention and treatment of heart disease is due to its ability to improve energy production in cells, inhibit blood clot formation, and act as an antioxidant. Several clinical studies involving small numbers of people suggest that CoQ10 may lower blood pressure. Levels of CoQ10 tend to be lower in people with high cholesterol compared to healthy individuals of the same age.

Celery Seed Extract – 3nB is the active compound that is unique to celery. 3nB was discovered as the active component of celery in response to investigations by researchers seeking to explain some of the medicinal effects of celery including the lowering of blood pressure and the relief of arthritis. High blood pressure is usually the result of too much fluid there is in your blood and how flexible or resistant your blood vessels are. Retention of sodium (salt) leads to increase fluid volume in the blood while hardening of the arteries and the hormones released during stress lead to loss of flexibility or constriction of blood flow. In treating high blood pressure, doctors usually prescribed diuretics (water pills) to reduce the fluid volume and vasodilators to relax the arteries to reduce the resistance of blood flow or beta-blockers to turn down the pumping action of the heart. 3nB appears to help lower blood pressure by both acting as a diuretic and vasodilator through impacting the production of prostaglandins as well as acting in a similar manner to drugs known as calcium-channel blockers. 3nB has also been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the formation of arterial plaque in experimental studies. This effect may increase the elasticity of the blood vessels and also lead to lower blood pressure readings. 3nB also appears to promote some effects on areas and systems of the brain that control vascular resistance.

Grape Seed Extract – is a natural plant substance that has a concentrated source of oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPC). These anti-oxidants help protect cells from free radical damage and also promotes healthy circulation. Grape Seed Extract is rich in polyphenols, a compound that’s high in antioxidants. Studies have shown OPC to be more powerful antioxidants than vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene. There are countless studies that demonstrates the many health benefits of grape seed extract. It has been extensively researched across the globe. In the research of Dr. Jacques Masquelier et al., the Pasteur & Huntington Institutes and 7 other leading Universities in Europe, Grape Seed Extract has been shown exceptionally effective fighting against free radicals in the body.

http://www.ironmaglabs.com/product/advanced-cycle-support-rx/

IML Gear Cream!
World J Hepatol. 2013 March 27; 5(3): 109–113.
Published online 2013 March 27. doi: 10.4254/wjh.v5.i3.109
PMCID: PMC3612568

Silymarin in non alcoholic fatty liver disease

Fulvio Cacciapuoti, Anna Scognamiglio, Rossella Palumbo, Raffaele Forte, and Federico Cacciapuoti
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►

Abstract

AIM: This study was undertaken to evaluate the hepatic effects of silybum marianum on non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).

METHODS: In 72 patients affected by NAFLD, main metabolic, hepatic and anti-inflammatory parameters were assayed after 3 mo of a restricted diet and before silymarin treatment (twice a day orally). The brightness of liver echography texture (hepatorenal ratio brightness) was also defined at same time. These evaluations were repeated after 6 mo of treatment.

RESULTS: Serum levels of some metabolic and anti-inflammatory data nonsignificantly lowered after 6 mo of silymarin. On the contrary, Steato test, alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase were significantly (P < 0.001) reduced. Instead, the AST/ALT ratio unchanged. Finally, the hepatorenal brightness ratio, as an index of hepatic steatosis, significantly (P < 0.05) dropped.

CONCLUSION: The obtained results indicate that silymarin appears to be effective to reduce the biochemical, inflammatory and ultrasonic indices of hepatic steatosis. Some parameters indicative of early stage of atherosclerosis were also lowered.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3612568/

Hepat Mon. 2012 August; 12(8): e6099.

Published online 2012 August 3. doi: 10.5812/hepatmon.6099

PMCID: PMC3475019

Effects of Metformin, Pioglitazone, and Silymarin Treatment on Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study

Ali Akbar Hajiaghamohammadi,1 Amir Ziaee,1 Sonia Oveisi,1,* and Homa Masroor1
Author information ► Article notes ► Copyright and License information ►
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Background

Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is one of the most common reasons of enzyme increase in liver. In About 10 percent of patients with NAFLD, the disease progresses toward Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH) and about one third of them may progress toward cirrhosis, liver dysfunction, and even hepatocellular carcinoma.

Objectives

According to high prevalence of NAFLD and the fact that there is no consensus on treatment of this disease, the aim of this study was to assess the effects of metformin, pioglitazone, and silymarin on treatment of NAFLD.

Patients and Methods

Sixty six patients with NAFLD who were presented in the Endocrinology and Metabolism clinic of Boo’ali Hospital, Qazvin, Iran, were assigned randomly into three groups (n = 22). First group was treated by pioglitazone 15 mg/d, second group by metformin 500 mg/d, and third group by silymarin 140 mg/d. All patients underwent clinical and biochemical evaluations including weight, fasting blood sugar (FBS), lipid profiles, body mass index (BMI), aspartate aminotransferase (AST ), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and serum insulin levels in pre- and post-intervention after eight-week follow up.

Results

Before the treatment there was no significant difference between three groups with respect to average age, BMI and gender, FBS, lipid profile, AST, ALT, serum insulin level, and Homeostasis Model Assessment (HOMA) index for insulin resistance. After the intervention, a significant reduction was observed in average amount of FBS, lipid profile, ALT, AST, serum insulin level and HOMA index in three groups (P < 0.01). The most reduction in average FBS, TG, serum insulin level, and HOMA index was observed in pioglitazone group, the most reduction in average amount of cholesterol was seen in metformin group, and the most decrease in average amount of AST and ALT occurred in silymarin group.

Conclusions

These results suggest that all drugs are beneficial in improving biochemical indices in patients with NAFLD. Changes in AST and ALT in silymarin group were demonstrated more than that in other groups and the average difference between changes was significant between silymarin and metformin groups.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23087748

J Res Med Sci. 2011 Mar;16(3):287-90.

Effects of silybum marianum on patients with chronic hepatitis C.

Kalantari H, Shahshahan Z, Hejazi SM, Ghafghazi T, Sebghatolahi V.
Source
Associate Professor of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Silymarin derived from silybum marianum (milk thistle), a flowering member of the daisy family, may benefit liver function in people infected with the hepatitis C virus. The aims of this pilot study were to assess the efficacy and safety of silymarin on serum hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA, serum aminotransferases (ALT, AST) levels, liver fibrosis and well-being in patients with chronic hepatitis C (CHC).

METHODS:

This prospective self-controlled trial study was conducted from March to September 2006 at Department of Gastroenterology, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran. 55 patients with HCV (10 female and 45 male) with a mean age of 31.8 ± 6.4 years (10-67 years) were participated in the study. Patients received 24 weeks of silymarin (630 mg/day). Baseline virological biochemical, liver fibrosis (by a serum fibrosis markers, including YKL-40 and Hyaluronic acid), and SF-36 questionnaire were performed with biochemical tests repeated at the end of the treatment period.

RESULTS:

There was statistically difference in mean of ALT (108.7 ± 86.6 vs 70.3 ± 57.7) before and after the treatment (p < 0.001). The means of AST were 99.4 ± 139.7 and 59.7 ± 64.32 before and after the treatment with statistically differences (p = 0.004). After the treatment, nine patients were found with negative HCV-RNA (p = 0.004) and statistically significant improvement in results of liver fibrosis markers were found only in fibrosis group (p = 0.015). Quality of life was improved significantly (p < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:

This study indicated that in patients with CHC performing silymarin (650 mg/day) for 6 months, improved serum HCV-RNA titer, serum aminotransferases (ALT, AST), hepatic fibrosis and patient's quality of life. More future studies are warranted.

Phytother Res. 2006 Dec;20(12):1036-9.

The efficacy of Silybum marianum (L.) Gaertn. (silymarin) in the treatment of type II diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trial.

Huseini HF, Larijani B, Heshmat R, Fakhrzadeh H, Radjabipour B, Toliat T, Raza M.

Source
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Medicinal Plants, ACECR Tehran, Iran. huseini_fallah@yahoo.com

Abstract

Oxidative stresses are increasingly implicated in the pathogenesis of diabetic complications which may either cause direct pancreatic beta-cell damage or lead to metabolic abnormalities that can induce or aggravate diabetes. The valuable effect of antioxidant nutrients on the glycemic control of diabetic patients has been reported in experimental and clinical studies. The present study was designed to investigate the effects of the herbal medicine, Silybum marianum seed extract (silymarin), which is known to have antioxidant properties on the glycemic profile in diabetic patients. A 4-month randomized double-blind clinical trial was conducted in 51 type II diabetic patients in two well-matched groups. The first group (n = 25) received a silymarin (200 mg) tablet 3 times a day plus conventional therapy. The second group (n = 26) received the same therapy but a placebo tablet instead of silymarin. The patients were visited monthly and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA(1)c), fasting blood glucose (FBS), insulin, total cholesterol, LDL and HDL, triglyceride, SGOT and SGPT levels were determined at the beginning and the end of the study. The results showed a significant decrease in HbA(1)c, FBS, total cholesterol, LDL, triglyceride SGOT and SGPT levels in silymarin treated patients compared with placebo as well as with values at the beginning of the study in each group. In conclusion, silymarin treatment in type II diabetic patients for 4 months has a beneficial effect on improving the glycemic profile.

PMID: 17072885 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2012 Jan;13(1):210-7.
Silymarin in the prevention and treatment of liver diseases and primary liver cancer.
Féher J, Lengyel G.
Source

2nd Department of Medicine, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.
Abstract

In chronic liver diseases caused by oxidative stress (alcoholic and non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases, drug- and chemical-induced hepatic toxicity), the antioxidant medicines such as silymarin can have beneficial effect. Liver cirrhosis, non-alcoholic fatty liver and steatohepatitis are risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). Insulin resistance and oxidative stress are the major pathogenetic mechanisms leading the hepatic cell injury in these patients. The silymarin exerts membrane-stabilizing and antioxidant activity, it promotes hepatocyte regeneration; furthermore it reduces the inflammatory reaction, and inhibits the fibrogenesis in the liver. These results have been established by experimental and clinical trials. According to open studies the long-term administration of silymarin significantly increased survival time of patients with alcohol induced liver cirrhosis. Based on the results of studies using methods of molecular biology, silymarin can significantly reduce tumor cell proliferation, angiogenesis as well as insulin resistance. Furthermore, it exerts an anti-atherosclerotic effect, and suppresses tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced protein production and mRNA expression due to adhesion molecules. The chemopreventive effect of silymarin on HCC has been established in several studies using in vitro and in vivo methods; it can exert a beneficial effect on the balance of cell survival and apoptosis by interfering cytokines. In addition to this, anti-inflammatory activity and inhibitory effect of silymarin on the development of metastases have also been detected. In some neoplastic diseases silymarin can be administered as adjuvant therapy as well.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Milk Thistle shouldn't be the only liver protection but stacks nicely with NAC. NAC should be around 600mgs daily and Milk Thistle as directed by bottle. TUDCA is also supposed to be great for the liver. Liver Assist XT looks like a viable option for liver support.

N2guard is a good all in one also.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

N2 Guard - NeedToBuildMuscle.com

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It actually can hurt your cycle to run it, it can cause larger amounts of aromatzing drugs to convert to estrogen, i also believe i read it has some interaction at the androgen receptor. Either way it dosent protect the liver in any way shape or form, neither does liv52, the only liver supp that will actaully prevent damage is TUDCA. The rest just help repair damge but dont prebent it. Milk thistles oral bioavailbilty is also incredibly low, youd have to take huge amounts of it to get much benefit.

I run choline & inositol at 3000mg per day and L-Methionine at 1500 mg per day for aiding in getting fat out of the liver for 1 month cycle then drop back to a maintenance dose. This way better than milk thistle and has scientific studies to back it up way stronger than anything you can get prescribed buy a Doctor. Look it up and it is cheap also.

Back