• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Training timing question

JRotten

Old
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Started a new business and being a one man show hours are pretty hectic. About the only regular time I can guarantee to train daily is around 6am. Light cardio that early really helps the rest of my day go smooth, but lifting I just don't feel "on" until mid to late afternoon. Everything just feels heavier first thing in the morning and without a few meals in me I gas out earlier. My theory has always been to train when I'm at my strongest. The effort is the same at 6am as later in the day but if you add up work done it's definitely higher later in the day.

So I'm a bit stuck. Is it better to keep a regular schedule even if I'm not at peak performance or squeeze workouts in when I'm able to get the most work done? How far does effort go compared to actual work done?

Broscience welcome. TIA

I can't lift that early myself either. Too early, not awake, feeling weak.

Can you go at night after work?
Some days are 16 hours and I would have to find a new gym if I want to train afterwards which is not really better than 6am

Getting the blood flowing early had positive effects on my mood and performance for the rest of the day. And I suppose it will have the benefit of feeding after the workout for a longer period. I suppose I'll try for a couple weeks and see if it gets easier. I imagine a log would be a good idea.

When I was working 12hr days I had to go at 5am . I knew after work I wouldn't want to deal with the crowds and being tired. I had to force myself to some cardio first thing, 5 minutes to warm up and another 5 pushing it. a good preworkout and That would wake me up usually. But to your question, I think sticking to a schedule is best. It's way too easy to be too tired one day, have too much to do the next day, etc. I go thru periods where I have to Work long hours for months and it sucks. I've only been able to stay consistent in the gym this last time when i went at 5

Started a new business and being a one man show hours are pretty hectic. About the only regular time I can guarantee to train daily is around 6am. Light cardio that early really helps the rest of my day go smooth, but lifting I just don't feel "on" until mid to late afternoon. Everything just feels heavier first thing in the morning and without a few meals in me I gas out earlier. My theory has always been to train when I'm at my strongest. The effort is the same at 6am as later in the day but if you add up work done it's definitely higher later in the day.

So I'm a bit stuck. Is it better to keep a regular schedule even if I'm not at peak performance or squeeze workouts in when I'm able to get the most work done? How far does effort go compared to actual work done?

Broscience welcome. TIA

I used to WO at 6am when my job demands were like yours, it sucked at first but then I adjusted to it and liked it alot. It does take me a little longer to get the blood flowing (warmups took longer) that early so I would load up on BCAA's, a protein shake (water only) with some pre wo and get busy. I bet you'll sleep better from AM wo's, I did.

Find a different job. This one's already causing you problems. Working for yourself is overrated.

Back