• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Post workout

Quincy

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
In your guys opinion what's the best post workout for gaining mass? Right now I'm using aftershock and im pretty happy with it.

^^^^^^^
Exactly.
If you are eating every 3-4 hours and staying in a positive nitrogen balance there is no need for post workout shake.

In your guys opinion what's the best post workout for gaining mass? Right now I'm using aftershock and im pretty happy with it.

Never used after shock. Since you posted in supplements, the supplement I use along with 60g of protein is waxy maize. Right now it happens to be John Scott's glyco charge because I found a good deal on it. It's messy and tastes terrible but I don't care.

Like the others said, Food. There just is no substitute. Try to eat a healthy dose of protein with some fast acting carbs within 30 minutes post workout.

I just drink 2 pre-made premier protein shakes from the gyms fridge and a premier protein bar lol (90g of protein in like 30 seconds.). They're the only shakes I use in my food intake. Do what is most convenient as long as you're eating something. I personally have a hard time eating solid food right after a workout because I'm so hot and sweaty. Food just isn't appealing at this time so I do what I can.

I just drink 2 pre-made premier protein shakes from the gyms fridge and a premier protein bar lol (90g of protein in like 30 seconds.). They're the only shakes I use in my food intake. Do what is most convenient as long as you're eating something. I personally have a hard time eating solid food right after a workout because I'm so hot and sweaty. Food just isn't appealing at this time so I do what I can.

Thats ts a complete waste of money. Your body cannot absorb 90 grams of protein in that short period of time... Completely up to you but you're just wasting your money.

Thats ts a complete waste of money. Your body cannot absorb 90 grams of protein in that short period of time... Completely up to you but you're just wasting your money.
My strength and size suggests otherwise. Your body absorbs what it needs. There is no set amount of protein your body can digest in a set amount of time. That's it the biggest bullshit myth there is.
I don't have diarrhea, my shit is solid and my piss is clear. That alone tells me my body is using what I put into it.

On a side note a lot of Strongman have 100g shakes in the morning as part of their breakfast. If the biggest guys known to human-kind are wrong then everything I know is probably wrong too.

Last edited:
Food all day. And just a regular whey shake after workout. If your trying to gain. A banana or two with the shake. Or any form of easy to digest carbs.

Food all day. And just a regular whey shake after workout. If your trying to gain. A banana or two with the shake. Or any form of easy to digest carbs.

That's why I eat the bar with the shakes. Fiber slows digestion.

IML Gear Cream!
Never used after shock. Since you posted in supplements, the supplement I use along with 60g of protein is waxy maize. Right now it happens to be John Scott's glyco charge because I found a good deal on it. It's messy and tastes terrible but I don't care.-
a----------------------
i do the same waxy maize and protein for post cause i cant eat at all for about an hr my adrenalin is going to hard for me to hold down or even chew food 1 hr later im gtg tho

My strength and size suggests otherwise. Your body absorbs what it needs. There is no set amount of protein your body can digest in a set amount of time. That's it the biggest bullshit myth there is.
I don't have diarrhea, my shit is solid and my piss is clear. That alone tells me my body is using what I put into it.

On a side note a lot of Strongman have 100g shakes in the morning as part of their breakfast. If the biggest guys known to human-kind are wrong then everything I know is probably wrong too.

Ive always read and been told different. I will look into this now, as I'm curious. I've always been told anything over 35-40 grams of protein at a time is just wasted. If I am wrong I appogize, and thank you for correcting me; but as of now I disagree with you and will need to really research it.

Last edited:

The biggest guys known to man kind are that way because of genetics not because they are nutrition guru's. I dont care what they know about nutrition you cannot get that way with out a genetic predisposition. There are TONS of people and resources with better and greater knowledge regarding nutrition and gaining then those guys.

And digestion rate is not a myth it's just not as simple as saying that your body cant absorb x amount of protein in a short amount of time. It has a lot to do with the make up of the protein, the amino acids and what comes in it(digestive enzymes and what not). So while I dont agree with the statement made by OP, digestion rate is not a myth. and having the runs would not be the indicator HAHAHAH.

For the poster food is best. And remember CARBS they just as important if not more important post work out than protein.

Last edited:
The biggest guys known to man kind are that way because of genetics not because they are nutrition guru's. I dont care what they know about nutrition you cannot get that way with out a genetic predisposition. There are TONS of people and resources with better and greater knowledge regarding nutrition and gaining then those guys.

And digestion rate is not a myth it's just not as simple as saying that your body cant absorb x amount of protein in a short amount of time. It has a lot to do with the make up of the protein, the amino acids and what comes in it(digestive enzymes and what not). So while I dont agree with the statement digestion rate is not a myth. and having the runs would not be the indicator HAHAHAH.

For the poster food is best. And remember CARBS they just as important if not more important post work out than protein.

It's a myth to the extent it's a set number. I'd say 10,000 calorie diets have a lot to do with their size and not just genetics. Also the consistency of your shit is actually a great way to know how your body is processing what you put into it. It's odd but it's simple research. When you eat more protein your body simply takes longer to digest it.

I found this is one of the gatherings that are against the limit.
If we were to believe the premise that a 20-30 g dose of protein yields a maximal anabolic effect, then it follows that any excess beyond this dose would be wasted. On the contrary, the body is smarter than that. In a 14-day trial, Arnal and colleagues found no difference in fat-free mass or nitrogen retention between consuming 79% of the day’s protein needs (roughly 54 g) in one meal, versus the same amount spread across four meals [11].
Notably, this study was done on young female adults whose fat-free mass averaged 40.8 kg (89.8 lb). Considering that most non-sedentary males have considerably more lean mass than the female subjects used in the aforementioned trial, it’s plausible that much more than 54 g protein in a single meal can be efficiently processed for anabolic and/or anti-catabolic purposes. If we extrapolated the protein dose used in this study (79% of 1.67g/kg) to the average adult male, it would be roughly 85-95 g or even more, depending on just how close someone is to the end of the upper limits of muscular size.
When Arnal and colleagues applied the same protocol to the elderly population, the single-dose treatment actually caused better muscle protein retention than the multiple-dose treatment [12]. This raises the possibility that as we age, larger protein feedings might be necessary to achieve the same effect on protein retention as lesser amounts in our youth.

One thing that's not debatable is that genetics can get you to be one of the biggest strongest dudes in the world without a 10000 cal diet but a 10000 cal diet won't get you there with out genetics. Clearly genetics carries more weight than a good diet.

As for the poop you're poop can change consistency for a thousand reasons that have nothing to do with diet so it's poor indicator at best.....

I'll research your studies when I have more time and not on my phone.

I'm a f*cking wizard

One thing that's not debatable is that genetics can get you to be one of the biggest strongest dudes in the world without a 10000 cal diet but a 10000 cal diet won't get you there with out genetics. Clearly genetics carries more weight than a good diet.

As for the poop you're poop can change consistency for a thousand reasons that have nothing to do with diet so it's poor indicator at best.....

I'll research your studies when I have more time and not on my phone.

I'm a f*cking wizard

I don't like speaking genetics, even though they play a big role. A lot of big guys started off a typical skinny kid or some fat guy. Most don't even know they have genetics, so I don't play that role for the sole reason that not everyone who competes starts with good genetics.

And of course there's a lot of reasons that can change your poops consistency, how many of them are good reasons however? Last I checked none of them. That's a reason I pay attention to it. You can tell your dehydrated by your poop well before it affects into your performance. If the first shit of the day isn't perfect, I already know my day isn't going to be great. That's some serious anecdotal evidence.

No one likes to really talk genetics because it implies we have no control over or physical being and people use it to often as an excuse. I just hate the I'm big I must know what I'm talking about mentality..... I mean look at Rich Piana, that guys is a moron with a superiority complex. The majority of your best coaches for any given sport never competed professionally.

I'm a f*cking wizard

On low carb days I need 400+Gs of protein. Realistically, 1 meal will have 100 Gs of protein. I do a bar or shake post because I can't eat for a couple hrs.
Seriously- if anyone is eating 10K/ week for 2 weeks- they are eating alot of unhealthy shit. Guaranteed.

I honestly think we are in agreement with the protein thing though.

I'm a f*cking wizard

Yeah buddy. I used to do a shake, banana and a pixy stick to spike dat dere insulin

Get Shredded!
No one likes to really talk genetics because it implies we have no control over or physical being and people use it to often as an excuse. I just hate the I'm big I must know what I'm talking about mentality..... I mean look at Rich Piana, that guys is a moron with a superiority complex. The majority of your best coaches for any given sport never competed professionally.

I'm a f*cking wizard

I use Strongman as my typical example because they're all incredibly powerful. I know plenty of mindless muscle bags. But I don't know anyone powerful and stupid. But that's just me lol.

Actually it depends on what kind of protein you are consuming.
Whey digests at around 8-10 grams per hour. So those huge shakes are a waste.
If you stop and think about it, if you are trying to time your protein digestion to the end of your workout then whats important is what and when you eat BEFORE your workout.
Remember that muscle building is an extremely slow process and all this fuss about post workout drinks for weight lifters was invented by supplement companies to extract money from your wallet.
But its a sacred cow now and most will die defending the concept rather than daring to question it.
Good luck!

Actually it depends on what kind of protein you are consuming.
Whey digests at around 8-10 grams per hour. So those huge shakes are a waste.
If you stop and think about it, if you are trying to time your protein digestion to the end of your workout then whats important is what and when you eat BEFORE your workout.
Remember that muscle building is an extremely slow process and all this fuss about post workout drinks for weight lifters was invented by supplement companies to extract money from your wallet.
But its a sacred cow now and most will die defending the concept rather than daring to question it.
Good luck!

It's not the protein itself, it's the amino's and how long they take to break down. It's 10g or so an hour with a lot of things that can cause variation in the time it takes. However your body doesn't have a set time period for digestion. If your body needs something, it will use it. I notice a difference with the shakes I drink around my workouts. I'm a big advocate of peri-nutrition, as are many coaches. If the whole protein per hour thing truly mattered than diets like I.F wouldn't work so well for a lot of people. Things like carb-loading wouldn't work like they do and some people go up to 1000g per their load. There's just too many variables to say it's a set amount of time. Especially with people like us where our bodies are more demanding of what we stick into it. It's silly to think this digestion rate is set to a number. Muscles are like spunges after an intense workout, if you packed your nutrition in before your workout and didn't bother with post nutrition I guarantee you that you'll take a big performance hit.

Your body cannot just use something unless it has the ability to do so.
Think of digestion as water traveling through a pipe.
It only travels so fast but it keeps moving. The body has a more or less set time to extract the amino acids. This is not debatable. Consult any nutrition textbook if you do not understand this concept.
As far as post your comment on post workout nutrition, you would be correct if you didnt eat anything for several hours after your workout. But if you read my previous comment I mentioned eating every 3-4 hours which means your body is constantly absorbing protein which makes the "post workout" shake unnecessary. That is why you read the comments to eat real food.
Please note that I am not here to convince you to stop drinking shakes. You do what you want. Its your money. I am just explaining the science.

It only travels so fast but it keeps moving. The body has a more or less set time to extract the amino acids. This is not debatable. Consult any nutrition textbook if you do not understand this concept.
As far as post your comment on post workout nutrition, you would be correct if you didnt eat anything for several hours after your workout. But if you read my previous comment I mentioned eating every 3-4 hours which means your body is constantly absorbing protein which makes the "post workout" shake unnecessary. That is why you read the comments to eat real food.
Please note that I am not here to convince you to stop drinking shakes. You do what you want. Its your money. I am just explaining the science.

The simple fact that some people consume their entire dietary intake in 3 to 4 meals daily instead of the 5-7 proves that it's not as simple as you just stated. You can not apply the science based on average humans to people that train. Not even bothering to add the difference steroids makes in the way your body uses protein. The assumption everyone digests food the same is also silly as well. Fiber and fat also both slow digestion. I've read plenty of stuff for and against it. When that's the case I just look at what the world record holders do and do my own anecdotal evidence. If it was a waste I'd only be getting roughly 140g of protein on a daily basis. Which is no where near enough to support my frame yet I still have no problem growing.

It's not the protein itself, it's the amino's and how long they take to break down. It's 10g or so an hour with a lot of things that can cause variation in the time it takes. However your body doesn't have a set time period for digestion. If your body needs something, it will use it. I notice a difference with the shakes I drink around my workouts. I'm a big advocate of peri-nutrition, as are many coaches. If the whole protein per hour thing truly mattered than diets like I.F wouldn't work so well for a lot of people. Things like carb-loading wouldn't work like they do and some people go up to 1000g per their load. There's just too many variables to say it's a set amount of time. Especially with people like us where our bodies are more demanding of what we stick into it. It's silly to think this digestion rate is set to a number. Muscles are like spunges after an intense workout, if you packed your nutrition in before your workout and didn't bother with post nutrition I guarantee you that you'll take a big performance hit.

yeah we were on the same page. It definitely has to do with the aminos and a ton of other factors so to say there is a set rate is silly but your body can only odsorb so much depending on its current situation.

Honestly man your nutrition post are predictably dated you need to get some new books. Let me guess you should get 6-8 servings of grains a day to right.

That eating every three to four hours thing has been studied by many and debunked. I am not saying it cant work Im saying its not necessary. Your bigger guys packing away 5-8 thousand calories do it but could you imagine eating that in 2 meals you'd never get through it.

Honestly man your nutrition post are predictably dated you need to get some new books. Let me guess you should get 6-8 servings of grains a day to right.

That eating every three to four hours thing has been studied by many and debunked. I am not saying it cant work Im saying its not necessary. Your bigger guys packing away 5-8 thousand calories do it but could you imagine eating that in 2 meals you'd never get through it.
Lol...
Your "education" in nutrition consists of stringing together ecclectic posts and bro science.
I dont mind discussing nutrition with you but please bring something more to the table than this...
I could recommend some college level textbooks but you would have to spend more than 3 minutes reading them.
As for your comments on grains... I am no carb most of the time.

My favorite post workout for gaining is a pop tart and my protein shake

Back