• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

feeder workouts. Who's doing them?

I'm skeptical as it seems like nothing but broscience to me. I've never been an advocate of "chasing the pump". In my opinion, and experience, hypertrophy occurs when heavier and heavier loads are placed on the muscle forcing it to have to adapt (grow). Over the last 30 years of training I've done both high and low rep work and I've only observed growth during my heavier weight/lower repetition cycles. Granted, even my higher rep work didn't go to the extremes that Rich is advocating, but higher rep work for me only allowed me to maintain muscle size, not increase muscle size. Seems like these days with the internet and our access to so much information everyone has a philosophy about what they think works and they attach a fancy title or acronym to it and call it their own, such as FST-7, DOGGCRAPP, HIIT, Mountaindog, to name a few. I believe in the basics and I feel a lot of people make hypertrophy more complicated than it really is.

Part of it might be that each person's muscle makeup is different and therefore reacts to different stimulii

Here's an interesting George Leeman vid on rep ranges for strength. His point is basically do them all, high reps too, till exhaustion and you'll build strength even at 20+ reps... and be more likely to avoid plateaus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAv7D71MRDA

I'm starting to hit some high rep programs. It'll take a few months to see if it works.

I've never bothered with high reps. And I've yet to hit any plateaus. I advocate low to medium reps and high weight on everything. I feel like people go after "the burn" way too much instead of feeling the contraction.

If course high weight meaning weight you can actually handle. I've seen far too many people try rowing 225 for 3 inches with horrible form.

I think the idea is not to break the muscle down but to pump more blood into it after you have already trained it.
For example you may work chest with heavy weights low reps one day. The next day you do the pump just to get blood in the muscle for better recovery.

I call that active recovery. Something I've been doing for awhile.

I think the idea is not to break the muscle down but to pump more blood into it after you have already trained it.
For example you may work chest with heavy weights low reps one day. The next day you do the pump just to get blood in the muscle for better recovery.

I've been trying this for awhile, just a couple of light weight, high rep sets and it seems to be helping me recover a bit faster. My .02

IML Gear Cream!
Didn't watch the video. But i like getting the blood into the muscle I've work a previous day. Just a few high rep sets, good mind muscle connection. I only do this when i feel like it and have time though. I'm not worried about it.

This is why I like rowing for cardio even if it's light. There are very few muscle groups you don't use on a rowing machine.

Back