• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 🩺Muscle Gelz® HUMANOGEN® - Powered by Ibutamoren® Increases Growth Hormone! (Transdermal - No Injecting!)🏥

Squats, belts, and core strength

JRotten

Old
Board Rep
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
So like a lot of people when I started training again I wanted to move bigger weights faster. When I started squatting the first thing I did was get a belt and follow starting strength. Pretty quick I was squatting 285x5 and 6 months ago I got up to 365 for a single and 225x20. Well I wound up with two nagging low back injuries. 6 months of limited leg work because I hate machines and I have lost a lot is strength in my squat. How much is hard to gage because I'm not going heavy and I'm refusing to use a belt. Which brings me to my question:

Do you think it's possible to "belt cripple" yourself by going to the belt to fast? My lower back is the first thing to get worn out and at first I thought it was a form issue, but I filmed myself, ran it by some people and I seem to keep a nice neutral spine all the way through. I'm starting over onnsquats. I'm working my way back to my old GVT routine by adding a set a week. When I get there I'm jumping to 225x8x4 and then I'll follow another progression. All with no belt. Does this make sense to anyone else? My goal is to not be using a belt until I'm repping over 315 again all for the sake of AVOIDING any more low back injuries.

Open for opinions and broscience. TIA

I do squats.. I dislike them but I do them... I feel high reps hurt me.. I did 225x20 and had nagging lower back. Pain for a long time... I'll never do it again... That's purely my experience.. I don't use a belt that light but I will strap up not far after that

As far as squats go, I've always felt it unnecessary for myself to use a belt (for the weight I've been training with). My opinion is that the belt will inhibit core strength development if used on a continual basis. That's not to say it shouldn't be used for maximum or just plain heavy lifts over a certain threshold. Maybe its that you just don't use one until you are at 85% of 1RM if you are doing pyramids or power-lifting. I don't use one at all, but I did just order one and it will be here tomorrow. I was able to go up to 505 without a belt, but weight higher than that makes me nervous.
There are a few threads on here and a fair amount of people echo the core strength direction. I wouldn't say don't ever use one, just find out what your limits are in relation to what you are trying to achieve.

My plan starting tomorrow is to up the reps drop the weight no belt. I never feel a back issue even at 350 last week. I use it more to support the hernia repair in that area. I have been really concentrating on core strengthening . I figure that's how I got injured to start with. Tomorrow I start to use my brain and quit listening to Mr. Tren.

Well if I hit 505 on squats I'm gonna tape it, give up and make my kids watch it every year at Christmas until they refuse to come over and bring me another beer and piece of pie... Problem solved. Seriously, that's some fucking weight man.

As far as squats go, I've always felt it unnecessary for myself to use a belt (for the weight I've been training with). My opinion is that the belt will inhibit core strength development if used on a continual basis. That's not to say it shouldn't be used for maximum or just plain heavy lifts over a certain threshold. Maybe its that you just don't use one until you are at 85% of 1RM if you are doing pyramids or power-lifting. I don't use one at all, but I did just order one and it will be here tomorrow. I was able to go up to 505 without a belt, but weight higher than that makes me nervous.
There are a few threads on here and a fair amount of people echo the core strength direction. I wouldn't say don't ever use one, just find out what your limits are in relation to what you are trying to achieve.
My goals are mixed. I'm not a body builder or a powerlifter. I'm not genetically predisposed to either. I have a decent frame and I want to keep improving my build and getting stronger. I cycle 3x5 4x8 and GVT type workouts on the major lifts and do accessory work 8-12 or 20+ depending on the body part. I like a PPL 3x week split EOD lifting as much as I can stick to the schedule. Basically I'm 37 with 3 kids and I want to keep being the dad that people
check out at baseball/football games well into my 50's

Well if I hit 505 on squats I'm gonna tape it, give up and make my kids watch it every year at Christmas until they refuse to come over and bring me another beer and piece of pie... Problem solved. Seriously, that's some fucking weight man.

...And what makes it even more impressive is the fact that he weighs 170lbs.

I would just make it a habit to not make wearing a belt a habit…if that makes sense. I only wear a belt on my last set or two of squats when I'm using a maximum amount of weight.

Awesome article on the topic: http://www.strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/

I would ditch the high reps if your back is the first thing to go. When fatigue sets in - form will break and extra load gets placed on supporting structures (disks, tendons, ligaments) as well the muscles that aren't supposed to be primary movers.

Just because your spine is nuetral doesn't mean you're doing it right.

This is probably the best squat video there is. Some of the info in this is what will take my competition squat from 700 to 800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

Don't use the belt unless you're attempting max lifts. The belt has its uses but you shouldn't be relying on it. Excessive use of the belt keeps your erectors and core from strengthening itself during your lifts. Which most likely explains your injuries. Assuming I read your post correctly.

Awesome article on the topic: http://www.strengtheory.com/the-belt-bible/

I would ditch the high reps if your back is the first thing to go. When fatigue sets in - form will break and extra load gets placed on supporting structures (disks, tendons, ligaments) as well the muscles that aren't supposed to be primary movers.

Just because your spine is nuetral doesn't mean you're doing it right.

This is probably the best squat video there is. Some of the info in this is what will take my competition squat from 700 to 800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw

Still working on the video, but as I watching I started wondering if it's possible hat my shoulder ROM could be affecting my low back. They are inwardly rotated and it takes stretching to get them behind me. I'm wondering if that's causing me to lose some lat stabilization as well as pushing the bar forward instead of pulling it in....

Still working on the video, but as I watching I started wondering if it's possible hat my shoulder ROM could be affecting my low back. They are inwardly rotated and it takes stretching to get them behind me. I'm wondering if that's causing me to lose some lat stabilization as well as pushing the bar forward instead of pulling it in....
This is a pain in the dick. That shoulder stretch affects me to . I widened my grip and it helped some but more weight = more stretch.

Yes. Try doing RNT squats in between warm up sets.

The video shows rnt squats somewhere, or you can Google it. Dr Snell has a good video.

Great advice right there.

Personally I havent used a belt in over 20 years.

Back