PDA

View Full Version : building or keeping muscles without weight training

bax
05-05-2015, 02:54 AM
Hey , can u build or keep existing muscles only by contracting them ? For example i have an abilitynof contracting my biceps so much that next day it will be even sore. I cant do that with calves or back . Will this work ? Is there a way to build without weight training ?

Guillotine
05-05-2015, 03:34 AM
I'm going to go with 'no' - tensing your muscle will tire it out, but without resistance it won't really tear apart to get put back together and grow. I suppose if your muscle tone is poor or just starting g out or doing injury recovery that kind of isometric contraction might have some limited benefit, but I can't see that being immensely beneficial.

Colosus88
05-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Hey , can u build or keep existing muscles only by contracting them ? For example i have an abilitynof contracting my biceps so much that next day it will be even sore. I cant do that with calves or back . Will this work ? Is there a way to build without weight training ?

What you are asking is similar to Charles Atlas dynamic tension or isometric workout from the early 1900's. Can't say that I've ever tried it. To what extent it would help you keep muscle probably depends on how you put the muscle on in the first place. I don't' think you could lift weights for three years and expect to keep all you mass using these workout principles.

JRotten
05-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Isometrics may have their place, but like you said you can't do that with your calf. It's hard enough to get a mind-muscle connection with a load, keying on mental queues, and a full ROM. So you can practice posing all day but it's unlikely you'll get much out of the time invested.

MAD King
05-16-2015, 04:19 PM
It's like trying to keep a car running without gasoline.

liljoe
05-16-2015, 06:52 PM
I will say no also...here is the deal the muscle grows for the reasons above...why does the muscle grow and get stronger? The simple answer is, it is strengthening and growing to adapt to your progressive workout...this also why some people in gym never improve..they get to a certain point in their strength or size, they get complacent and don't push more reps ....or change stuff up, or add weight...at this point the muscle and nervous system has already adapted to the stresses put on it.

KA24
05-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Growing? Not at all.

Maintaining? Much more likely.

How long this could be sustained, who knows. I know if I'm ever injured that prevents me from working something fully, I certainly still work those areas and if it's a unilateral injury, I'll concentrate on the other side.

jman73
05-25-2015, 04:38 PM
I doubt you could grow very much, but if you did an intense push-up,pull-up and dip routine then I don't see why you couldn't maintain your upper body strength fairly well. my .02