• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Time between sets

IronMan81

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Any else keep time between sets? Maybe Im just OCD but started this years ago and now keep pretty consistent intervals.

Yes. I think it is good practice to keep track of the rest phases

i used to but now it's just when i get my breath back, even doing arms i breath hard enough i need to rest between sets. people always look at me funny after finishing a set of tricep extensions and i sit down sitting there heaving catching my breath

small muscle groups I tend to plow through rather quickly between sets

large muscle groups or big lifts I take a few minutes between sets sometimes..or whenever I stop shaking (I'm a fan of drop down sets to failure)

I go by feel...If I feel I have recovered I go..if not I wait a little longer...could be 30 seconds or 5 minutes on really heavy stuff.

After doing this for some time you should be able to get a feel for it . You don't want a set to end because you failed cardiovascularly you want to end because of muscle failure . To that end we rest between sets to let the heart and breathing get down at least to sustainable levels . Heavy compound movements like deads or squats will certainly require more rest than tricep pushdowns . Some guys going after conditioning will cut the rest period to burn more calories . Also cutting your rest time up's intensity because you're doing the same work but in a shorter period of time . It's something you can play with for different effect . A General giudeline is around a minute give or take for most people .

I don't keep track on my heavy sets or singles really. How ever long it takes. No longer than 5 minutes though. Just about all accessory exercises I superset though. Helps balance out my time and get my heart pumping and it's fun.

I don't keep track on my heavy sets or singles really. How ever long it takes. No longer than 5 minutes though. Just about all accessory exercises I superset though. Helps balance out my time and get my heart pumping and it's fun.

and wtf ARE you?!

Studies show that a rest time of anywhere between 1-5 minutes all have similar results in the actual building of muscle fibers. So if I'm doing heavy strength training I rest anywhere from 2-5 minutes. If my goal is hypertrophy at the time I usually keep rest periods around 1 minute between sets.

I've taken up to 10 minutes on my max lifts lol. I absolutely hate getting a pump. Ruins my workout.

I used to be really mindful...looked at my watch to keep track. I still keep an eye on the clock, but am mindful to give myself extra or less time depending on how I am feeling and what I am doing. Heavier lifts, like bench presses, usually around 3 minutes.

I think it is possible to condition yourself to take less rest and build endurance. But enjoy my workouts and not interested in running through them.

I usually just go by feel, but I sometimes track it on a nearby clock just for little personal challeng that I do. For example, I might do a 5 x 5 set/rep scheme with Incline Barbell Presses. I will often only allow myself 1 minute to recover with a given weight. Sometimes I change that up but that is about the only reason I track it. Sometimes I track it for rest-pause sets to get more on my last set. I only give myself about 10-15 seconds on rest-pauses though.

I go with 60 seconds or less. For lifts that I'm concentrating on strength over hypertrophy I wait till I'm fully recovered - normal heart rate - about 3 minutes.

I go fast on my first 4 sets; bench for example I'll do something like 150lbx25-35; 225x20-30; 315x6-12; 365x6-8; then I start taking anywhere from 3-5 minutes between heavy sets sometimes even close to 10min doing anywhere from 3-6 reps based on feel and pyramiding. I usually stop at 5-6 even if it feels like I can do more if my intent is to go heavy. I make jumps in 20lb increments after 365 so for example I went to 525 on Thursday it took upwards of an hour and 14 sets to get there.

I have to charge and condition my cns for each higher lift and this is how it seems to work for me after trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On chest days i give it up to 2 minutes between sets less on back and leg days....

It really depends for me. Yes rest periods are a key variable and I do track them. I use them as a way to add progression to my programs. Especially when going for hypertrophy or increasing workout density while approaching final weeks of prep.

When going for power/strength as in 5x5 or 7x4 or similar I just rest and hit it hard when I'm ready.

I believe taking rest into account is a critical variable that many people and trainers overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get Shredded!
I have a three week split

week 1:

I take 1 min rest between sets. I stare at the clock. For squats and deads I take 2 min. This is during my heavy week.

week 2:
3x10, with 3 sec negative 1 sec positive for each set, on fourth set I do 4 sec positive 2 sec squeeze and 4 sec negative

week 3:

10x10 I take 20 sec rest between sets.

I think both short and long rest periods offer their own specific advantages. Short rest periods produce more metabolic stress, and long rest periods allow you to handle more weight and more volume. Longer rest periods have also been shown to produce greater gains in muscle size. So either way don't really matter there both good in there own way its all how you feel in the gym and how much your lifting .

I always time.. .30 between sets, 2 mins between movements..

I always time.. .30 between sets, 2 mins between movements..
1min between sets, except for supersets, which are 2min.

Back