PDA

View Full Version : Small Gym vs Big Gym

MAD King
03-25-2015, 05:47 AM
I am working out for years in a small gym. They do not have a the fancy equipments like seating incline or decline press, standing calves, 150lbs dumbbells, etc.
A few month ago a Gold's Gym open close to where I live. It would double my travel time and the gas.
Question is: Can you get big in a small gym or do you have to join a big gym with more equipments available?

BigTime
03-25-2015, 05:51 AM
Small gym=Great people but shitty hours. Big gym=more doushy crosfit fags but they are open 24/7. But you can get big at either one. Hell, you can lift anything heavy and get big.

MAD King
03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Small gym=Great people but shitty hours. Big gym=more doushy crosfit fags but they are open 24/7. But you can get big at either one. Hell, you can lift anything heavy and get big.

Exactly right. I work out at a anytime gym right now. There are open 24/7, but known for limited equipments. You already pointed that out. They know almost every member by name. Gold gym was a coming and going. Not really personal, but I was impressed by the many different equipment they had.

SoCalJC
03-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Small gym. Be the big fish in a little pond. :winkfinger:

moosexxl
03-25-2015, 07:10 AM
I definitely prefer a smaller gym as long as they have the basic equipment I need. I'm usually pretty creative with limited equipment though.

MAD King
03-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Small gym. Be the big fish in a little pond. :winkfinger:

Have not seen it that way. Fantastique.

gdawg
03-25-2015, 08:26 AM
Big gym= 30 year membership that has to be paid even when they close because there is one within a 1000 miles of you and you somehow overlooked that in the agreement. Small gym = pay ,if it sucks don't pay ,leave

BTC
03-25-2015, 08:39 PM

I seriously disagree here. But only in my personal experience. I am a member at two gyms. One is 4 miles from my house. Small, all the necessary equipment, one squat rack (which has fixed pins and is useless), one power rack and up to 125 lb db, two smith machines. This gym is full of nothing but 140 lb faggot kids standing around texting, having social hour and trying their best to blow out their shoulders. Its like the place is full of rats. Full of shit bags with zero concept of gym etiquette. I cant get through a training day without some serious rage distraction. its computer code locked and is open from 5am to midnight so hours arent really an issue. The retard owner wont buy shit. If a machine breaks he replaces it with a fucking ab or cardio machine.
Last month I decided I couldnt take it anymore and joined my bro's gym 40 miles away and its worth every minute of the drive. Its huge (independent owned, not a chain), hardcore gym. 2/3 powerlifting and 1/3 BB'ing. Great equipment, strongman equipment, tons of powerlifting gear, deadlift platforms, multiple monolifts, db's to 200 lb, this place has some serious vibe and atmosphere. Very motivational. All the regulars I have interacted with are very nice. But then....there are no skinny fuck head kids here.
I still keep the membership at the other gym incase I cant make the drive on a given day but I say.....find a bigger gym that is NOT a chain ie: golds, ect... More hardcore. I bet you'll find nicer, more helpful people there and probably some big motherfuckers who can be pretty motivational.

ponyboy
03-25-2015, 09:53 PM
I seriously disagree here. But only in my personal experience. I am a member at two gyms. One is 4 miles from my house. Small, all the necessary equipment, one squat rack (which has fixed pins and is useless), one power rack and up to 125 lb db, two smith machines. This gym is full of nothing but 140 lb faggot kids standing around texting, having social hour and trying their best to blow out their shoulders. Its like the place is full of rats. Full of shit bags with zero concept of gym etiquette. I cant get through a training day without some serious rage distraction. its computer code locked and is open from 5am to midnight so hours arent really an issue. The retard owner wont buy shit. If a machine breaks he replaces it with a fucking ab or cardio machine.
Last month I decided I couldnt take it anymore and joined my bro's gym 40 miles away and its worth every minute of the drive. Its huge (independent owned, not a chain), hardcore gym. 2/3 powerlifting and 1/3 BB'ing. Great equipment, strongman equipment, tons of powerlifting gear, deadlift platforms, multiple monolifts, db's to 200 lb, this place has some serious vibe and atmosphere. Very motivational. All the regulars I have interacted with are very nice. But then....there are no skinny fuck head kids here.
I still keep the membership at the other gym incase I cant make the drive on a given day but I say.....find a bigger gym that is NOT a chain ie: golds, ect... More hardcore. I bet you'll find nicer, more helpful people there and probably some big motherfuckers who can be pretty motivational.

Sounds like Ironworks in Bellevue WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTC
03-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Big gym= 30 year membership that has to be paid even when they close because there is one within a 1000 miles of you and you somehow overlooked that in the agreement. Small gym = pay ,if it sucks don't pay ,leave

Wow never seen that. Fuck that shit.

If you can find a bigger hardore type gym that isnt a chain its worth the drive.

gdawg
03-26-2015, 02:12 AM
Wow never seen that. Fuck that shit.

If you can find a bigger hardore type gym that isnt a chain its worth the drive.
Obviously I was exaggerating . Over the years I have seen Gold's , Powerhouse , and World gym come and go here . They all had pretty much the same salesman in common , Multi year membership with payments out the ass . When the franchise takes a dump you pay because there is a location within a "reasonable" distance well reasonable to me ain't 30 miles. In the end The Y never goes anywhere . Right now I'm gonna walk downstairs and get it done

BigTime
03-26-2015, 08:17 AM
Seems like peoples ideas of small and big gyms are different. In my town the small gym is a hole in the wall where the newest piece of equipment they have is from 1995 and most of the clientel is 40 yr old + males. There is grunting, weights slaming my kinda place. Only problem is they close at like 7 on weekdays and even earlier on the weekends witch makes it difficult cause I'm the type that gets a wild hair up his ass on a saturday night and wants to go lift. So I'm stuck at the big box 24/7 gym with the middle age women and lawyer doushe bags working thier keagle muscles and blabering about their beach houses.

tren2k14
03-26-2015, 08:38 AM
My small gym is all bodybuilders not all the newest equipment but everything you need to get shit done.

BTC
03-26-2015, 11:19 AM
Seems like peoples ideas of small and big gyms are different. In my town the small gym is a hole in the wall where the newest piece of equipment they have is from 1995 and most of the clientel is 40 yr old + males. There is grunting, weights slaming my kinda place. Only problem is they close at like 7 on weekdays and even earlier on the weekends witch makes it difficult cause I'm the type that gets a wild hair up his ass on a saturday night and wants to go lift. So I'm stuck at the big box 24/7 gym with the middle age women and lawyer doushe bags working thier keagle muscles and blabering about their beach houses.

The first gym you described would definitely be my kind of place. But yeah wtf...closing at 7? Da fuck is wrong with people? Before my new gym moved and expanded and had the current computer code lock....at the old location if you bough a membership you got a door key. Cause if the owner wasnt there, no one was getting in.
I would never be a member at a gym that actually has salesman working there. I know some guys dont have a choice though. But I fucking hate salesman and these douche bags are always comically insulting to someone like me. I just hate salesman...guys that were "born to work in retail" are just slime bags and fake assholes imho.
I went to a golds years ago on a guest pass and before they would let me work out I had to go get a tour with one of these sales faggots then go get a dissertation on rates and payment options and pressurized about seeing a trainer ect ect.... At the end he';s like so whattya think my man? I said I'm sorry I even got this guest pass, you guys are ridiculous, then I left. That was years ago.

Augustine5I
03-26-2015, 01:31 PM

X2. I agree bro.

In the end, we are there to train. If working around broken equipment or old rickety benches that require your creative side, then go for it. Me, I want shit working right.

Small gyms also have less of everything...one lat pulldown, one seated calf...so you spend more time waiting for equipment too. Not appealing.

However, I do think you can get big and in shape at both. But it shouldn't have to be that hard.

MAD King
03-26-2015, 06:58 PM
Thank you guys, but sadly, in my town are only chain gyms available. (Anytime, Work out Anytime, Planet Fuckness, new Gold's ...). They swallowed the small independent ones.

Oldschool
03-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Sounds like Ironworks in Bellevue WA.

I drove by that place today.
Saw the big garage door.
Looked interesting but that building is LONG!

BTC
03-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Thank you guys, but sadly, in my town are only chain gyms available. (Anytime, Work out Anytime, Planet Fuckness, new Gold's ...). They swallowed the small independent ones.

Ugh, shit.....very sorry to hear that bro.

Big Ronnie
03-26-2015, 08:16 PM
I go into the neighborhood gym. It's small and the hours are limited, but I know everyone and everyone knows me. I know the times to go in when there is no one there so I can work uninterrupted. There are several IFBB pros and also hella Npc chicks. The best fun is busting a joke with the wrestlers. Yes wrestling is back in Oregon!

ponyboy
03-26-2015, 11:07 PM
I drove by that place today.
Saw the big garage door.
Looked interesting but that building is LONG!

When I helped my old mentor train for competitions back in the 90's, they had four 75 gallon trash cans. These cans were specifically for vomit and phlegm. They were often 1/4 full. Hardcore place back in the day. A little sadistic frankly!

Oldschool
03-27-2015, 05:45 PM
I drove through Oso today...
No evidence whatsoever there were ever any houses or cabins in that slide area.
Looked like a giant rolling pin leveled EVERYTHING.
it was mind blowing.

Oldschool
03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
it was mind blowing.

exerciseordie
03-27-2015, 09:55 PM
Don't need a fancy fucking gym to get jacked man

ponyboy
03-27-2015, 10:13 PM
it was mind blowing.

Yeah, eerie.

Oldschool
04-14-2015, 07:08 AM
I go into the neighborhood gym. It's small and the hours are limited, but I know everyone and everyone knows me. I know the times to go in when there is no one there so I can work uninterrupted. There are several IFBB pros and also hella Npc chicks. The best fun is busting a joke with the wrestlers. Yes wrestling is back in Oregon!
Dutch Savage and Lumberjack Luke?

ponyboy
04-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Dutch Savage and Lumberjack Luke?

Jimmy super fly Snuka, Playboy Buddy Rose, Rowdy Roddy Piper

l69lou
04-14-2015, 07:57 AM
Been going to gyms for some 35 yrs and I've seen the whole gym scene change dramatically . The first I ever went to was a hole in the wall . primitive equipment but you talk about hard core vibe . We had at least 12 national level competitors about half and half BBer / powerlifters . Monsters ! In fact Mike and Ray Mentzer trained there before going to Cali while I was there . Going to train around men like this was an epic experience that has influenced me to this day . So that's always what I look for . That vibe thing or heart as I call it . I want to train around other BBers who are very , very serious . I want to hear people grunt , plates banging , guys squating 800 lbs. I now go to an old family owned Golds from the early 80's . Very cramped , mostly old equipment but very friendly . In fact I was offered my own key because of their limited hours . They close at 7 PM fri - sun . I do hate that . Across the street is the abomination called PF . They have really hurt the Golds and their owner boasts Golds won't be here much longer . Out and about here in town I run into other BBers who actually left the Golds to go to PF and I can't help but question their reasons . I guess it's to be around the pretty girls or the free tanning or the $20 memberships . If people support places like PF then it's all we'll be left with in the days ahead , think about that !!! If you have a hard core gym available to you I feel it's your obligation to join there and support that business . Even the smaller gyms should have all the necessary equipment , I can't imagine a gym without a incline bench as the OP states .

BTC
04-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Been going to gyms for some 35 yrs and I've seen the whole gym scene change dramatically . The first I ever went to was a hole in the wall . primitive equipment but you talk about hard core vibe . We had at least 12 national level competitors about half and half BBer / powerlifters . Monsters ! In fact Mike and Ray Mentzer trained there before going to Cali while I was there . Going to train around men like this was an epic experience that has influenced me to this day . So that's always what I look for . That vibe thing or heart as I call it . I want to train around other BBers who are very , very serious . I want to hear people grunt , plates banging , guys squating 800 lbs. I now go to an old family owned Golds from the early 80's . Very cramped , mostly old equipment but very friendly . In fact I was offered my own key because of their limited hours . They close at 7 PM fri - sun . I do hate that . Across the street is the abomination called PF . They have really hurt the Golds and their owner boasts Golds won't be here much longer . Out and about here in town I run into other BBers who actually left the Golds to go to PF and I can't help but question their reasons . I guess it's to be around the pretty girls or the free tanning or the $20 memberships . If people support places like PF then it's all we'll be left with in the days ahead , think about that !!! If you have a hard core gym available to you I feel it's your obligation to join there and support that business . Even the smaller gyms should have all the necessary equipment , I can't imagine a gym without a incline bench as the OP states .

This is exactly what prompted me to give up driving 4 miles to now drive 43 miles to train. It really is worth it.

Buckwild
04-23-2015, 06:12 PM
Whatever gym has everything you need and less people at the times that you go.