PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for squats and deadlifts

JRotten
03-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Bottom line is I can't squat or deadlift for awhile. I have some serious flexibility and mobility issues that are aggravating a pinched nerve I have to sort out. Hopefully it's just a few weeks. In the meantime I was thinking walking lunges with a barbell and leg press would be good for legs. I generally hate leg machines outside of the leg press. Thoughts?

What about deadlifts? I think I can get by with back extensions but I'm not sure about weighted. I've been screwing around with this for two months and I really don't want to lose any more on these lifts and body parts.

TIA

Big Ronnie
03-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Do you have a gym near you that has a super squat machine. It helps immensely with taking the pressure off joints. It lets you lift in a controlled manner and work the larger muscles, but the stabilizer muscles do suffer a bit. It may be worth checking out.

Jack Link
03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm sure walking lunges and leg press will blast the fuck out of your legs as for deads it's going to be hard to overload your lower back with that injury................walking lunges are going to be tough too.

l69lou
03-18-2015, 04:15 PM
As far as legs there are quite a few good options depending on what you have access to . doing lunges after a hard leg press session will definitely do the job . Also sissy squats are brutal and same way after leg presses will kill those quads . Some gyms have squat machines or horizontal leg presses as well . Not sure what you can get away with as far as your back but if you can rack deadlifts are excellent . Bent over rows , my fav back exercise , will hit the mass of the back . If it's your lower back that's bothering you I would not do anything that puts strain on that area and just work on stretching and flexibility for the lower back and supported rowing movements to work on back thickness . Hopefully the time off will allow you to heal up . It's one of the great things about weight training , you can always work around something to get some quality workouts . Most of the time anyway .

weizen
03-18-2015, 05:09 PM
I hurt my back pretty good quite some time ago. One thing I can do that never gives me issues is back extensions. I used to kill it on good mornings and deadlifts, but not anymore. After awhile, I always feel something weird in my spine and have to stop

JRotten
03-18-2015, 05:48 PM
As far as legs there are quite a few good options depending on what you have access to . doing lunges after a hard leg press session will definitely do the job . Also sissy squats are brutal and same way after leg presses will kill those quads . Some gyms have squat machines or horizontal leg presses as well . Not sure what you can get away with as far as your back but if you can rack deadlifts are excellent . Bent over rows , my fav back exercise , will hit the mass of the back . If it's your lower back that's bothering you I would not do anything that puts strain on that area and just work on stretching and flexibility for the lower back and supported rowing movements to work on back thickness . Hopefully the time off will allow you to heal up . It's one of the great things about weight training , you can always work around something to get some quality workouts . Most of the time anyway .
Yates rows are actually the position that caused the problem to be noticed right now. Behind deadlifts it's my favorite back exercise but locking my hips and bracing my back is where the fun begins. I've never had pain deadlifting or squatting even now. The pain comes immediately after when my muscles lock. It's the dumbest thing ever. I had a knot so hard that had been there so long I actually thought it was a bone. I've had four different people laugh at me when they go "HOLY CRAP that's a big knot!" And I told them I thought it was a bone... Apparently I should have noticed a problem sooner.

I'm just especially frustrated because I happened to have just started a blast that is so far the most incredibly effective stack I've ever put together. To lose deads and squats even for a little while just hurts a little. They are just such efficient movements.

John Johnson
03-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Is the pain shooting down your posterior legs pass the knee or does the pain stop at or before the knee?

Titan5011
03-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Lunges for the squat substitute, weighted glute-ham raise for the dead-lift substitute.

JRotten
03-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Is the pain shooting down your posterior legs pass the knee or does the pain stop at or before the knee?
It goes the other way. It's like there's a knot deep in my lower glute and then the pain is in my lower-mid lumbar. I'm reasonably certain after some reading that I'm substituting lumbar mobility for my lack of hip and ankle mobility.

Velociraptor44
03-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Id say safety bar squats or hex.... but ill be talking to the wind as usual. 😒

ponyboy
03-18-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm going through similar issues. Especially the reverse grip rows that can trigger back spasms. For substitutes.... Dumbbell sumo squat, dumbbell front squat, smith machine step back lunges, towel sissy squats, super set with light dumbbell Romanian deadlift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk