• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

Grip Strength

Buddy Bucks

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
On chest day a guy at my gym becomes a rack-n-roller. He's rolling the 100s if his bench isn't in front of them. I asked him why he does this and he said it's because he needs to save his forearms for dumb bell press. My question, is grip strength really that critical when it comes to DB press, or is he just being lazy.

My grip has really lost strenth over the years. On back day i can barely even grip twards the end of my workout. Thank god for lifting straps.

On chest day a guy at my gym becomes a rack-n-roller. He's rolling the 100s if his bench isn't in front of them. I asked him why he does this and he said it's because he needs to save his forearms for dumb bell press. My question, is grip strength really that critical when it comes to DB press, or is he just being lazy.

Who are we to say? But it does sound like he has a rather weak grip if he needs to "save" his forearms strength pressing and if thats the case he really should be working on some movements to build up his grip. Ive got smallish hands myself which makes grip challenging and I dont even consider my grip that strong but even so I typically do farmers carry's with 220 per hand for about 50 yards.

I use every opportunity to work my grip. I use these captains of crush grippers and fat gripz on Dumbbells. Nothing worse than a pussy hand shake. The grip is crucial to so many exercises if you want to increase overall strength. It's as important as your core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds lazy to me.

I've definitely used straps on deadlifts, citing that I wanted to save my grip for the farmer's carries I was doing later. But not carrying plates because you have to press later? meh.

You young guys have no clue what its like. You think your invincible and you may be now, but lets revisit you in a decade. Your shit will start to break down. So enjoy your youth because it will all be gone sooner than you realize

My grip has really lost strenth over the years. On back day i can barely even grip twards the end of my workout. Thank god for lifting straps.

You young guys have no clue what its like. You think your invincible and you may be now, but lets revisit you in a decade. Your shit will start to break down. So enjoy your youth because it will all be gone sooner than you realize

Having your grip give out towards the end of back day is entirely normal. How often do you find your grip giving out on chest day?

Not sure if you included me in this group, but at 47 I dont consider myself young.

IML Gear Cream!
I do this too, I look at it from purely a safety standpoint though. I can easily walk the db's to/from my bench but it gives me wicked forearm pump. I'd much rather have full control of 100+lb dumbells being raised over my body than to risk something slipping because I couldn't grip it hard enough due to forearm pump. I also do a light chalking when using any db's over 80lbs just to help prevent any possible slippage

45 here. I have grip strength at 250lbs on Captains of Crush grippers. Bench 435x2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 100# db's and carry them to my bench. I'm 42, I think he's pussin out.

Dumb question I'm sure but -- this means he takes them off the rack, puts em on the floor, and rolls em to the bench? I've never seen this or even heard the term...

I've never had trouble even with 130s walking them over to the bench. Weak forearms too. Just never noticed any grip issues with any DB presses afterward. Most of the weight is resting straight down on your palms and wrists. Only on deadlift do I hit a wall and have to use straps.

Dumb question I'm sure but -- this means he takes them off the rack, puts em on the floor, and rolls em to the bench? I've never seen this or even heard the term...

I've never had trouble even with 130s walking them over to the bench. Weak forearms too. Just never noticed any grip issues with any DB presses afterward. Most of the weight is resting straight down on your palms and wrists. Only on deadlift do I hit a wall and have to use straps.
Yes, puts them on the floor and rolls them.

I've done this when the DB are across the gym for some odd reason. Rolled them bitches.

And If my bench isn't near the heavy DB's I'll remove light ones by my bench. Place the heavy ones there. That way I can grab em and sit back. Then do my set. I don't like to waste any energy shuffling around with 100 lb DB's then doing a set. Try to put my all into a set. Wasted energy before absolutely drops my possible reps.

I just found out my grip strength is 115 lbs of pressure is that what the title asked for ? Anyway i roll dem hundreds a foot away i dont feel my ass needs to be in somebody's face as i reach down for them ..

Cheapthreads out..

I couldn't care less if the dude wants to roll them. I've done my fair share of lazy shit at the gym. I imagine many of us have. Just don't claim its because you're saving grip strength for pressing.

Last edited:
I kind of get it. Today I had to find new grips for dumbells on flys and decline DB press because my wrists and forearms are still shot from back day. I'm really pushing the limits on my grip strength right now because of some med side effects that cost me strength as I get back to baseline for the tren I'm about to run. If his forearms and wrists are having difficulty recovering it makes sense to me. I have never used straps but it's getting to the point that I may need them to really keep pushing my traps. Back day currently ends when I can't hold 80 pounds anymore.

Get Shredded!
What is considered normal grip strength for a 40yr old? When I had to go for rehab for what was thought to be a bicep tear . I was Givin a grip strength test. Some old stainless steel mechanism i had to squeeze. (Knowone else even uses these anymore ) it was in the 140's
I felt pretty week I was out.of commission for over half a year.couldnt do anything. When I would squeeze them so hard my knuckles would pop! And I'd stop. Lol.

Weak mind=weak body...suck it the fuck up and carry them. I haven't used straps in 2 years and my grip strength is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was...and my forearms are bigger.

Weak mind=weak body...suck it the fuck up and carry them. I haven't used straps in 2 years and my grip strength is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was...and my forearms are bigger.

Amen! I don't use straps or a belt on anything.

Straps. Never used them. I see a lot of people use them. But I just can't do it. If I can t hold it, I guess I can't lift it!

There is one guy in the gym..I call him tank top...anyway, uses versa grips for every exercise including cables..just shake my head.

I never have a problem with grip during presses, I sometimes use wrist wraps for stability during heavy sets. On back day I normally use Straps for all heavy exercises as it keeps me from using my biceps as much and helps me pull mainly with back.

My grip is fine though, since i dont powerlift anymore I do not concentrate on it that much anymore. I work out forearms, and do heavy shrugs etc, thats about the most grip work I get.

Use Grip4orce or Fat Gripz and put them on DB's of whatever weight and hold for max time. My personal favorite.

Static Holds, CoC Grippers, Pinch Grip Work, Fat Bars, etc. They all work and every man on Earth should have strong grip strength. The power from your feet transfers all the way to your hands on the barbell. Having a stronger grip recruits more muscle fibers for any Pressing/Pulling movement. Who honestly doesn't want that?

*There is zero excuse to have sub par grip strength.

I use straps for heavy DB/BB rows after a heavy dead session. I usually pull sumo and my back is relatively fresh afterwards, but grip can be very taxed. At that point, I don't care about grip as much as working my upper back or lats. Then I use straps. Having a strong grip is obviously crucial, but it gets plenty of work. I'm nothing special, but I wouldn't be as strong if I never used straps in that situation. Working my back is more important than grip sometimes.

I use straps for heavy DB/BB rows after a heavy dead session. I usually pull sumo and my back is relatively fresh afterwards, but grip can be very taxed. At that point, I don't care about grip as much as working my upper back or lats. Then I use straps. Having a strong grip is obviously crucial, but it gets plenty of work. I'm nothing special, but I wouldn't be as strong if I never used straps in that situation. Working my back is more important than grip sometimes.

I use straps when performing back work as well. Like you said, I'm wanting to work my back muscles not my grip. I do train grip separately and never Pull with Straps except for performing Double Overhand Rack Pulls.

Too many guys get comfortable with straps and start using them for everything. At that point, the gains diminish.

*Plus I like knowing I could place my hands on the sides of someone's skull and CRUSH IT :cool:

Back