• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • IronMag Labs® 25% Off Sale!❤️‍🔥 Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements💪Use Coupon Code ASF25 💊

Any "slingshot" users?

Posmx

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
My dead is slowly going up, squat is slowly going up, but my bench is sticking right around 400. I'm looking into new training equipment and considering ordering a slingshot. Any users incorporate this to help with bench strength progress? Curious if it's worth my time or if I should just save my money. Also, how/when do you incorporate the use in training?

do more dips? i've always read a lot of the big benchers doing a shit ton of dips/weighted dips with insane weights

I have seen that thing not sure if it would get you past a sticking point. I've been out 8 weeks injured but before I stopped I was doing a Westside template . A speed day and 3 days later a heavy day. The trick is don't duplicate lifts have a rotation. I used chains boards pin presses etc. All designed to clear sticking. I'm not at your level but was knocking on 350. It definitely helped me pass sticking points . Just a suggestion

It helped me blow past 400 to mid 400's. Basically one day I would just use it to overload. Would go for heavy triples or singles. Worked up to around 515. So when you get to a 1RM without the slignshot, it feels light in your hands.

I do dips 2x per week. Depending on where I'm at in the workout I do anything from bodyweight burnouts, or strap 1-3 45lb plates to myself. I just started doing that about a month ago, for the same reason you stated. I noticed that also with power lifters

It helped me blow past 400 to mid 400's. Basically one day I would just use it to overload. Would go for heavy triples or singles. Worked up to around 515. So when you get to a 1RM without the slignshot, it feels light in your hands.

This is what I was thinking. I feel like it could help me get "used" to the heavy weight in my hands and make my actual max feel much lighter than it does currently.

I have seen that thing not sure if it would get you past a sticking point. I've been out 8 weeks injured but before I stopped I was doing a Westside template . A speed day and 3 days later a heavy day. The trick is don't duplicate lifts have a rotation. I used chains boards pin presses etc. All designed to clear sticking. I'm not at your level but was knocking on 350. It definitely helped me pass sticking points . Just a suggestion

I'm looking into boards and chains as well. I'd like to get bands because I feel those would help significantly. Just need one thing at a time and was leaning towards slingshot first. I definitely need other equipment/tools to incorporate as well though. Just a matter of where to start

I'm looking into boards and chains as well. I'd like to get bands because I feel those would help significantly. Just need one thing at a time and was leaning towards slingshot first. I definitely need other equipment/tools to incorporate as well though. Just a matter of where to start
Don't know if you workout alone but check into Bench Blokz . Its a hard foam block with notches on all sides . It clamps to the bar each side is a different measurement from around 3 -10 inches . They take the place of a person holding boards for you. I want bands as well just trying to figure out how to anchor them to my set up. Good luck

Just recently used a slingshot training with my buddy.bench with out is 365 for triples and with the slingshot hit 405 for doubles..also used the hip circle for squatts..it makes sure you keep your knees out and not turning in with heavy weights..mark bell knows his shit and makes awesome products.his wraps are really good..can't say anything bad about his products.I'm definitely going to order his wraps and slingshot..

This is what I was thinking. I feel like it could help me get "used" to the heavy weight in my hands and make my actual max feel much lighter than it does currently.

About a month ago I started doing flat bench on the smith machine just to overload myself and get used to the feel of more weight than I'm comfortable with. I use the bumpers for safety (go ahead and lol) but it caused me to get past my comfort zone. Yesterday I decided to see where my strength was at. Started with decline bench and hit a new PR, 275lbs. I know its weak, but for me that's a lot of weight. Got 5 reps and my spotter didn't even touch the bar. I don't think I could have done that weight if I hadn't "felt" how heavy it was on the smith.

IML Gear Cream!
Don't know if you workout alone but check into Bench Blokz . Its a hard foam block with notches on all sides . It clamps to the bar each side is a different measurement from around 3 -10 inches . They take the place of a person holding boards for you. I want bands as well just trying to figure out how to anchor them to my set up. Good luck

I've seen bench blocks before, but didn't know what they were. That's not a bad idea. And I have the same issue with bands. I've seen some people just run them under the actual bench, but I'm assuming you can't do that with any bands.
I do workout alone 90% of the time. The friend of mine that was helping me out (and was going to compete with me) recently tore his pec, so he is out of commission for awhile.

I love it. Reinforces good technique and allows for overload. A great "finisher" for a bench workout.

I've been using it on close grips lately.

About a month ago I started doing flat bench on the smith machine just to overload myself and get used to the feel of more weight than I'm comfortable with. I use the bumpers for safety (go ahead and lol) but it caused me to get past my comfort zone. Yesterday I decided to see where my strength was at. Started with decline bench and hit a new PR, 275lbs. I know its weak, but for me that's a lot of weight. Got 5 reps and my spotter didn't even touch the bar. I don't think I could have done that weight if I hadn't "felt" how heavy it was on the smith.

I'm kind of scared of the smith. Everytime I press with it, it feels like my forearm got hit with a bat. Even with just 45s. I haven't tried it with flat though, ever. I've been thinking about setting the stoppers at chest height, and doing presses there from the bottom though. I think that change could be beneficial

Slingshot is OK - good for overload and rehab. Its not the pancea of bench training, just another tool.

What took my bench from mid 3's to high 3's was Dead Presses and a 10 sets of 1 protocol with about your 3 rep max as well as negatives.

What took my bench from high 3's to mid 4's were weight releasers. Great tool for overloading the bench in a way specific to benching. I follow something similar to what CT wrote in this article. https://www.t-nation.com/training/negatives-youre-doing-them-wrong

I think this will continue to take my bench from mid 4's to 5, as long as I can stay healthy and add a little extra mass, so I need to restructure my training from that regard when I'm 100% again, but I'll be 100% soon. Maybe 110%.

Just recently used a slingshot training with my buddy.bench with out is 365 for triples and with the slingshot hit 405 for doubles..also used the hip circle for squatts..it makes sure you keep your knees out and not turning in with heavy weights..mark bell knows his shit and makes awesome products.his wraps are really good..can't say anything bad about his products.I'm definitely going to order his wraps and slingshot..

This is encouraging. Right now on an "average" day I'm 365 for triples as well, but can only press 405 successfully about 50% of the time.. I'm thinking using the slingshot to help get used to that heavy weight in my hands could help tremendously. For me, it's insane how much heavier 405 feels than 385.. Just those 20lbs feel like 100 to me.

Slingshot is OK - good for overload and rehab. Its not the pancea of bench training, just another tool.

What took my bench from mid 3's to high 3's was Dead Presses and a 10 sets of 1 protocol with about your 3 rep max as well as negatives.

What took my bench from high 3's to mid 4's were weight releasers. Great tool for overloading the bench in a way specific to benching. I follow something similar to what CT wrote in this article. https://www.t-nation.com/training/negatives-youre-doing-them-wrong

I think this will continue to take my bench from mid 4's to 5, as long as I can stay healthy and add a little extra mass, so I need to restructure my training from that regard when I'm 100% again, but I'll be 100% soon. Maybe 110%.

Thanks for the link brother. I just read the entire thing. I very rarely do negatives (train alone), but learned I was evidently doing them wrong anyways. I am Definitely incorporating negatives now as well.

is that that thing you use when you dont have any friends to spot you?

Thanks for the link brother. I just read the entire thing. I very rarely do negatives (train alone), but learned I was evidently doing them wrong anyways. I am Definitely incorporating negatives now as well.
I used to do negatives in the power rack with the pins set at my chest. Since it was so much work to unload the bar to get it back to the top, I would just do 1-4 and focus on spending at least 5 seconds in the bottom half of the movement.

is that that thing you use when you dont have any friends to spot you?
Huh?

I used to do negatives in the power rack with the pins set at my chest. Since it was so much work to unload the bar to get it back to the top, I would just do 1-4 and focus on spending at least 5 seconds in the bottom half of the movement.

Huh?

Definately an option when I'm alone. If this is what helped your progress out the most, what do you think the second runner up would be as far as effective?

Dead Presses are a big help - they just beat me up so much its hard to find time to work them in. They're a movement where lots of sets of low reps is more effective than higher reps - so you really need to allocate time to them. I like 10 sets of 1 or 7 sets of 2 or 6 sets of 3.

Weight Releasers - probably outta have a spotter though since you'll be handling close to your max.

And moving up to 220 - 5'11 is too tall for 198 - even if you walk around ~215ish. I walk around 230ish and need to get up to 235ish

Get Shredded!
Glad I have this forum. Everyone is super helpful.
Mcdouche I'll take what you said and put it to use. I appreciate all the input

Back