• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Help with HRT replacement

Littleguy

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
I am new sort of, but no stranger to HRT. I am at a life changing stage in my life that is about to come crashing down without some help here.

I was tested back in 2012 for low T and showed a 262 score on the blood test. So I was allowed to get HRT via my health insurance and everything was good. My doctor put me on the pellet incursions every 3-4 months and I was golden. I tested about 1500-1900 range and after 4 months about 850 score so I was always in good health. I mean seriously I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc. after 6 months my system was good, I tested low cholesterol and good blood pressure. Optimal health achieved and all I had to pay a year was $450 plus $15 co pays.

Well back in November 2014 my insurance changed the rules and I no longer meet the new guidelines as long as my test is in the 400 range that is all they will pay for! Pellet incursions cost $1200 every 3-4 months so I am out of luck....Unless I want to pay out of my pocket for HRT. At best I can get androgel and be covered under my insurance. Some how I think my body is going to go to Sh*t however....

I am 5'7" 185 pounds, 35 going on 36 and I would say in pretty good shape for an older guy. My wife says lets see what happens just the androgel stuff, but I wanted to get your guys and gals opinions on this? Am I just full on anxiety for no reason? I know my test scores were low so I am scared right now since I was due for a pellet insertion last week and I am still trying to figure out what to do. I plan on visiting an insurance approved endocrinologist, hopefully I can find one that can help me for more than insurance approved amounts of test. I am a believer of optimal health, not being within "range."

I have to see an approved endocrinologist anyways since my last doctor had my thyroid tested, ultrasound, etc. I have hypothyroidism so I need a new script for that from an approved doctor anyways. I currently take armour everyday and 1/2 a tablet of letrozole every 2 weeks, all under script by my last doc. I hope the new one give me the same, but we will see. I did look into local "ageless" doctors here in socal and most want $350 for initial labs and $250 a month for test and hcg, which you have to self inject. The $350 includes a lesson on how to self inject. I think that is expensive, but I am coming from $450 a year and $15 every 3-4 months for treatment so maybe I just had it good and now I will have to pay to stay on the same path?

Anyways thats my story, hope I did not bore you guys, just wanted to see if anyone on the forum has suggestions etc. for me.

Im not sure what kind of suggestion your looking for. Most of us pay out of pocket for HRT/TRT.

As for your low T and hypo thyroid they almost always happen together. My personal opinion is the low T is often a result of hypo thyroid which is usually the result of lack of iodine/selenium at a minimum and often a whole slew of other nutrients as well. TRT will just buy you some time but doesnt really address the underlying problem.

Ask your Doc to prescribe test cyp instead of pellets, it would be a lot cheaper even if all was out of pocket. Or you could read a lot of info around here and make an educated decision to take matters into your own hands.......:coffee:

Ask your Doc to prescribe test cyp instead of pellets, it would be a lot cheaper even if all was out of pocket. Or you could read a lot of info around here and make an educated decision to take matters into your own hands.......:coffee:

Thats what I did. Although I will try to get a HRT script I'd much rather take matters into my own hand then deal with all the other bs with getting it from a doc

Ok, I talked to my doctor and since she is now considered not covered under my insurance she did help me still. She renewed my armour thyroid script and Letrozole.

She is allowing me to self inject and got me a script for test. I just picked it up today. I paid $26 for needles and 1 10ml bottle of Depo-Testosterone cypionate, brand is Pfizer. She wants me to dose 1.5ml every week. So I am set to keep my test going. I was worried I have to pay for labs, a new doctor, etc.

Anyways thanks everyone for the help. Now I just got to get use to sticking myself with a needle. They gave me a hand full of BD 22 gauge x 1 3 ml. The pharmacist said it should last me for 6 weeks.

There are videos on injecting on this forum or you can google it, I personally only inject delts right now and it's pretty easy. I use 23g 1". Watch a vid or two....It's not hard and gets easier each week. good luck.....:coffee:

Yeah I think I will try delts or maybe a thigh. I am sure I will limp after a thigh injection. I am leaning more to a delt just to prevent walking funny.

So I did dead center of my shoulder. Seems fine. I was slow just let the needle break the skin and slowly push till the whole inch was in. Pulled the plunger out to insure no blood and slowly put in the test. Sh*t is thick. I forgot to hold the test bottle for a minute before injection, to warm it up so make it warmer......1 trick the pharmacist recommended that I forgot to do. I did use the alcohol swabs for the top of the bottle and my shoulder. So far so good, I will let you guys know if I get a lump or swelling. No pain so far.

Back