• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪IronMag Labs® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.ironmaglabs.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Rep range for mass

Codsgift6

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Ok so this might be a noob question but what is the best rep range for adding mass? I've searched on the forum but couldn't see anything, any advice would be great guys

There isn't a magical number. I do believe muscle growth will stall by doing the same thing day in and day out. I believe in muscle confusion. Always increase weight and do do sets and rep ranges. Mix in low reps too. If your constantly shocking your muscles with different reps, sets and weights and you are feeding you muscles what they need to grow. They will.

Pyramids 8-6-4 x 3 sets, heavy,heavy, heavy weight

Rep ranges from 1-20 will build muscle. :coffee:
There is no magical number.

We've been debating this for decades and you want the answer now , lol . Really though for the majority of people in the majority of situations 8 - 12 reps is best for growth . Lower reps is better for strength training but obviously there is overlap . For me I do grow better using the 8 - 12 rep range but on some sets I will do sets at 6-8 reps . For years I was obsessed with using the heaviest weight possible so i would do most sets in the 6 rep range and many dropping to 4 or 5 because I was using so much weight . this I had to learn was holding me back from better growth with the slightly higher reps and volume . Simply put growth is triggered by training that puts the muscle under enough tension but also for long enough . Also there's no reason not to include both kinds of training from time to time .

They all build mass. Variable time under tension while focusing on moving more weight in every rep range will lead to the greatest and most consistent growth. Try 4-6 week cycles in alternating rep ranges. Always moving more and more weight over time. Cycling total volume well as effort will help also.
This is basically a non linear approach and works best for most.
This can get really technical but it doesn't have to. imo.

Oh and eat your face off or growth will never happen. No matter what you do.

BigJim gave solid advice.

There have been some studies that suggest the total number of reps is one of the most important factor, and that's why higher reps seem work better (it's easier to do 3 sets of 8 than it is 8 sets of 3).

I like to keep a number that seems to be working for me (say 30) and use various rep schemes to get ~30 reps. Lots of ways to do this, think a little and get creative.

5 sets of 6, 6 sets of 5, 4 sets of 7, 3 waves of 6 and 4 alternating, etc.

Another thing, and I may get flamed but it would depend on/off cycle. I am generally a 4-12 rep guy depending on the day, I usually go 4-6/6-8/8-12 and kinda follow an ever changing pattern, I wrote a post here in training about it but no one go interested. Anyhow; as already stated change it up every day and shock your body.
Perhaps myth, but on cycle I hear that hitting some 20-30 sets can really stimulate your body, and with the ability to pump more and harder on test it can actually prove more beneficial then just going to 12. (ON GEAR) Although, there is no science behind this because everybody has different amounts of muscle fibers (Type I/Type IIa/Type IIb) so no one can give you correct information because it is all relative.

The best rep range is the one with consistency in which you WILL do them. Not the amount you CAN do them, lay-mans terms.

IML Gear Cream!
Lots of coaches implement 20-30 rep sets as a finisher. If nothing else it gets some blood and nutrients there.

Thanks guys some solid advice at the min I'm doing 3-4 sets of 10 but then I mix in heavy days doing 3 sets of 6-8 to mix things up a bit

As Arnold has said....to get big you have to get strong. There is no big without strong.

I always remembered that. And I have always tried to stay in the 8 to 10 rep range while trying to lift the heaviest weight possible.

When you can then do that same weight for 12 reps...it is time to increase the weight again.

This is of course overly simplified. There is so much more that goes into it...if it were easy, everyone would be huge and ripped having unlocked the "secret."

Over the years I have found my body grows best at 8-12 reps it seems, however nowadays since im still a little less then 1 year back into body building after a long layoff for injuries I am still at mostly 15 to 20 reps since I am very slowly bringing the weight up to get my connective tissue used to the game again. I will also switch it up on a regular basis as any thing for too long will eventually stagnate.

Early on I almost never ventured out of the 5-8 rep range. Now I try to vary reps workout to workout in the 8-15 rep range.

Back