• 👋Hello, please SIGN-UP FOR A FREE account and become a member of our community!
    You will then be able to start threads, post comments and send messages to other members. Thanks!
  • 💪Check Out IronMag Labs Andro Hard® - Powered by R-Andro & Epi-Andro! 💊
  • 👉Check Out Platinum Pharms🌽Corn Hole Sale!🌽

why am I pulling my back on flat bench presses?

bwh998

Registered
Reaction score
Get Shredded!
Flat bench press, dumbells, with weight that I should be able to do 10 rep sets of. Yesterday I was having to drop it after 5 reps because I was getting a sharp pain running down my back, right next to my spine. I keep my back flat on the bench, no arching, feet on the floor. It was the kind of pain that tells you you're doing something bad wrong. Anyone know anything about that, its pretty frustrating.

Also, I was doing incline bench right before with 10 lb lighter dumbbells and didn't have the problem then, it seems to be just on the flat bench.

I have had those pains many times over the years. I have learned to warm up and stretch really good before any workouts now. Took me 40 years to learn that! Lol

Flat definitely puts a different strain on your joints than Incline...but I am the opposite. Because of an injury in the Marine Corps...eventually, I couldn't really do incline like I would like...When I do I use cables and just do an Incline Fly Press. Back on topic...do you think it is a nerve getting pinched? I would say if you want to keep doing it...make a few adjustments to your form. I don't bench flat back nor do I arch a ton. When I set up, I just roll back on my shoulders a little bit and tuck my shoulder blades together. The only thing not touching the bench is my lower back. Have you tried a slight incline? Maybe running the adjustable on the first pin up. That would honestly be very little angle but, alleviate some of the stress in your shoulders and upper back.

OK I guess I need to go look up some new back stretches. I admit that my normal stretching routine is pretty weak.

Flat definitely puts a different strain on your joints than Incline...but I am the opposite. Because of an injury in the Marine Corps...eventually, I couldn't really do incline like I would like...When I do I use cables and just do an Incline Fly Press. Back on topic...do you think it is a nerve getting pinched? I would say if you want to keep doing it...make a few adjustments to your form. I don't bench flat back nor do I arch a ton. When I set up, I just roll back on my shoulders a little bit and tuck my shoulder blades together. The only thing not touching the bench is my lower back. Have you tried a slight incline? Maybe running the adjustable on the first pin up. That would honestly be very little angle but, alleviate some of the stress in your shoulders and upper back.

I had kind of wondered about doing that, slight incline. I will try that and better stretches next week.

Back