PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting-Westside

GBPACK26
02-15-2015, 05:46 AM
Interested in hearing your guys' thoughts and experiences with Westside Barbell if anyone here has trained with louis or used his methods. I am a major fan for both geared lifters or not. Modifications have to be made to include much more rest for the non geared lifter but I have used it and seen it work with non geared lifters for years. I am a trainer and use the methods on a daily basis with not only myself but with my clients. My uncle trained with louis back in the day and still uses the methods to train guys in his neighborhood, none of them use gear these days. We both see our lifters make huge gains and post PR's week in and week out. Anyways, interested in what you guys have to say.

piff mcgriff
03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
I've never really dug the Westside template. Too many exercise variations and too many times switching it up. Plus, I workout at home and don't have access to all I would have to for that template. Can't argue with the results though. But for me, there are better programs for powerlifting.

gdawg
03-06-2015, 03:10 AM
I like it ,especially the to many variations aspect. Plus as much as I like to train I don't like being there for hours . His methods are fast and effective. I lift at home so Louis' methods make it easier to train without 50 machines. I went through the book, made a list and watched a couple of videos. I just don't repeat movements for a few weeks. My workout is probably not perfect but the methods work. I'm not gonna say I'd make Louis proud but I give it hell.

GBPACK26
03-07-2015, 06:11 AM
I've never really dug the Westside template. Too many exercise variations and too many times switching it up. Plus, I workout at home and don't have access to all I would have to for that template. Can't argue with the results though. But for me, there are better programs for powerlifting.

It was the only thing that ever worked well for me, I really like the variation. Keeps me guessing. But I def get that there are other protocols out there and you could argue either way

- - - Updated - - -

I like it ,especially the to many variations aspect. Plus as much as I like to train I don't like being there for hours . His methods are fast and effective. I lift at home so Louis' methods make it easier to train without 50 machines. I went through the book, made a list and watched a couple of videos. I just don't repeat movements for a few weeks. My workout is probably not perfect but the methods work. I'm not gonna say I'd make Louis proud but I give it hell.

Love it brotha

piff mcgriff
03-09-2015, 05:19 AM
It was the only thing that ever worked well for me, I really like the variation. Keeps me guessing. But I def get that there are other protocols out there and you could argue either way
I always liked Faleev's 80/20 and Wendler 5/3/1. But again, you can't really argue with the results of Westside. Strong people have been coming out of there for years.

Bigjim5
03-17-2015, 04:57 AM
I always liked Faleev's 80/20 and Wendler 5/3/1. But again, you can't really argue with the results of Westside. Strong people have been coming out of there for years.
I love them both. Simplicity is almost always more effective.
531 is my personal favorite. I love the linear progressions as well as the template allows for so much variety, as long as you really understand how to manipulate it. However, just sticking with one of the templates that Jim created will take you very far.
Great overall programming for the beginner, intermediate and advanced lifters. As well as the gym rat or soccer mom just looking to get in overall great shape.